Up front cash

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wayne6552
Rank 0
Rank 0

Up front cash

Post by wayne6552 »

Ok straight up... Does Wasaya require 10k up front just to work for them? I would rather ask all of you than have them bait and switch me after moving to Thunder Bay or Sioux City Lookout.
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Up front cash

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

wayne6552 wrote:Ok straight up... Does Wasaya require 10k up front just to work for them? I would rather ask all of you than have them bait and switch me after moving to Thunder Bay or Sioux City Lookout.
Surely anyone looking to make a move (it's Sioux Lookout btw) from another town or company wouldn't do so without asking or being told such a move was required during an initial interview.
I'll keep my comments about Wasaya to myself, but since you used the term "bait and switch" and your post did not indicate that you were already employed by them... You are either on the right path of thinking or are "trolling"...

Forgive me if I misread/mistook what you meant.

All the best,
TPC

wayne6552
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wayne6552 »

I guess I never thought any of that was relevant. It was a yes or no question. Of course I'm not currently employed by them or I would already know the answer to the question. The ads they've posted (like...right now in the job forum) specifically say FO in Thunder Bay or Sioux Lookout. Do they ask for 10,000 dollars up front in a bond to work for them? Anyone willing to share?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

You could, you know... ask them.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

awitzke wrote:You could, you know... ask them.
That's a shitty answer and I think you know it.

Someone here knows the answer, and Wayne obviously has some sort of spine left to him as it sounds like the bond is a deal breaker. Instead of polishing his shoes, putting on a tie, driving to an interview and having to walk out after getting the answer 35 minutes into discussing "that time when he had a conflict with someone in the workplace or where he sees himself in 5 years", we could save him from all that by giving him a simple yes or no answer.

Notwithstanding that little bit of courtesy to your fellow free-willed carbon based lifeform, a $10,000 bond is a bit of blemish on our industry. Having people know about it in advance produces a nice little message to the purveyor of the bond when far fewer people apply and show up to be interviewed.

Sorry to the original poster for the thread drift.

I wish avcanada had a telestrator, I'd go full John Madden on this place.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

There is up front cash bind paid back over 12 months I believe. They also pay some interest on the bond when paying back.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Personally, I would not lay out any money to work at a company the half of it's fleet is single-engine(if the web site is correct). That is me, but I am old and been around much to long but if this opportunity is to the poster's advantage as he/she sees it I rest my commentary.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Why don't they make you sign a training bound? If you leave before the end of the contract, you have to pay a certain amount?

Putting "up front cash" to get a job is non sense even if they seem to give it back. Your employee rights are subject to that 10k.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Everyone is in agreement about not paying cash up-front for flight training, and I would approach an up-front bond the same way; whatever your opinion on bonds or promissory notes, I can't ever see giving someone cold, hard money for something that you'll receive piecemeal over two years to be a good idea.

wayne6552
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wayne6552 »

Thank you for some candid answers. Yeah, a bond where if we leave before a year or two in some cases I think is perfectly fair since the employer is investing in us. But a case where you have to pay money up front for your training is something we could all fight to get rid of by spreading information. I don't even want to entertain a company like that, who may just get my hopes sky high and then it comes time for paperwork...bam, "sign this and deliver a cheque or go find something else". I hope I am never desperate enough to sign something like that.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:
That's a shitty answer and I think you know it.
Not really. I don't know the answer but if I wanted to know, a call to HR or someone else on the hiring team would quickly answer it. You don't have to go to an interview to find these things out. Even with the answers posted above, I would still contact someone at the company to confirm.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Ever tried cold calling HR at a bush op to ask them about wages and conditions? :O

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

No, not in the aviation world.. I guess you have a fair point.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

The other thing about putting money up front is: what happens if the company goes out of business before your year is up? I had an acquaintance who was sitting in the sim at Jetsgo, having had his cheque cashed, when news came down that they were shutting the doors the next morning.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not really. I don't know the answer but if I wanted to know, a call to HR or someone else on the hiring team would quickly answer it. You don't have to go to an interview to find these things out. Even with the answers posted above, I would still contact someone at the company to confirm.

This from the same guy who left an op after a "week" due to not liking the conditions.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Wasaya bond is 9500$ paid up front
They give it back over 12 months with a 3% interest on that money.
Pc12 wise Wasaya has 2 for Skeds and 1 dedicated fo Naps.
The site is a bit out of date.

The PC 12 FO position is the only one that doesn't require a bond, as it is just a pcc.

Hope the info can help.

Andy

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

rigpiggy wrote:This from the same guy who left an op after a "week" due to not liking the conditions.
So what, in your professional opinion, is a reasonable amount of time to stay on a job where you don't like the conditions and the safety culture? A month? A year? Until you have an accident and kill somebody?

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

North Shore wrote:The other thing about putting money up front is: what happens if the company goes out of business before your year is up? I had an acquaintance who was sitting in the sim at Jetsgo, having had his cheque cashed, when news came down that they were shutting the doors the next morning.
You know what happens, my friend: Jetsgo. They went tits-up right after a buddy of mine paid his money but hadn't got ANY training. He had to give up aviation to get a real job so he could pay the loan by himself. If it was me, I'd have gone to burn Michel LeBlanc's house down, but that's just me.

I urge any young pilot who reads this: DO NOT pay money up front. There are other jobs in other places. Grow a pair and head farther north or be patient or learn to fly a float-plane and work harder. Ten thousand bucks could buy you a float rating and you wouldn't need to work for mickey-mouse pissant bottom-of-the-barrel runway-only, no-future McCompanies like Wasaya. You do not need that job. It doesnt even meet the definition of "a job"! Do not give an employer money. Money is only meant to flow one way: from the employer to the employee. This should be an inviolate principle. If an employer asked me to buy a job, I would immediately seek work with their competitor, to take an active part in putting them out of business. They are your enemy.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

rigpiggy wrote:

This from the same guy who left an op after a "week" due to not liking the conditions.

Yeah so, what's your point? I'm in a much better place now because of it. I don't regret decisions I make.

schleprock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by schleprock »

so being s PPL, i don't have any insight into the realities of bonds, but it got me thinking about a business deal that I recently completed. Rather than paying the money to an employe, does anyone in the industry use a lawyer trust fund instead whereby the money is held in trust by a lawyer? that way upon default by the employee, the company gets paid, and similarly if the company goes tits up, the money is returned to the individual?

iseems to have significantly less risk for the employee, and should still satisfy an employer.

Return to “General Comments”