Hawkair recession

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hawkair recession

Post by floydfrank »

Word is that Hawkair is closing it's yyd base, probably for good this time :( . Big pilot and related employee shuffle along with numerous lay-offs. I'm curious as to just how big the down turn is in Canadian Aviation this year? We are in recession without a doubt, HA problems are also related to the arrival of encore, but of course there's always other issues. Seems to me (regarding the overall world economic mess) that there's an elephant sitting in the living room, but most refuse to acknowledge it.
---------- ADS -----------

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hawkair recession

Post by Girl17 »

Hey, you know it's pretty unfair to spread these kinds of rumours about this company. You can be sure that any signs you might see of them not doing very well are bound to be only part of a master strategy on the part of their CEO, Mr. Jay Dilley. You can be sure that under his leadership this company will remain strong and show positive growth, even if it's not growth that YOU can see. You're just a pilot, what would you know about it. Men like Mr. Jay Dilley understand that it's not how the company does while the CEO is there that is important: it's the legacy he leaves behind him that is the true indicator of a CEO's character. These are the teachings of Jay Dilley.

If I know one thing about this great leader of men, it's that the company will not only prosper after he is forced to resign, it will probably do EVEN BETTER. According to his own philosophy, this will be the true testament to his brilliance as a leader!

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

OK. I get it. Girl17 is all about sarcasm. Reminds me a bit about this:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Independence
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Independence »

Single pilot from the right seat. Nice work.

floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

I am interested if anyone out there has some anecdotal tales about other 705 (mostly am thinking domestic) operators in Canada that are feeling the crunch of this recession/depression?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

floydfrank wrote:I am interested if anyone out there has some anecdotal tales about other 705 (mostly am thinking domestic) operators in Canada that are feeling the crunch of this recession/depression?
There's plenty. Pick your 705 Alberta charter operator and they're hurting. Just wander by the south side of YYC and look at all the parked iron with engine covers etc.

It's a lot more fun when the oil $$ are flowing.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

Girl17 wrote:Hey, you know it's pretty unfair to spread these kinds of rumours about this company. You can be sure that any signs you might see of them not doing very well are bound to be only part of a master strategy on the part of their CEO, Mr. Jay Dilley. You can be sure that under his leadership this company will remain strong and show positive growth, even if it's not growth that YOU can see. You're just a pilot, what would you know about it. Men like Mr. Jay Dilley understand that it's not how the company does while the CEO is there that is important: it's the legacy he leaves behind him that is the true indicator of a CEO's character. These are the teachings of Jay Dilley.

If I know one thing about this great leader of men, it's that the company will not only prosper after he is forced to resign, it will probably do EVEN BETTER. According to his own philosophy, this will be the true testament to his brilliance as a leader!
LMAO, I actually laughed out loud. If it's one thing Dilley is good at it's deception. He may have people believing his master plan but he is full of himself. I really hope that you are just being sarcastic though.

Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Big Bird Anonymous »

Wow girl17, I would like to know if you are actually a real pilot. I guess all of the other 705 operators trying to make ends meet these days wouldn't be having troubles if they had this savior you mention running their show.

Perhaps HA is not having financial problems but instead the lay offs and route cancellations are part of a master plan aimed at desalinizing the competition or perhaps it really is an indication of loss of operational control.

Anti-antivaxxer
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Big Bird Anonymous wrote:Wow girl17, I would like to know if you are actually a real pilot. I guess all of the other 705 operators trying to make ends meet these days wouldn't be having troubles if they had this savior you mention running their show.

Perhaps HA is not having financial problems but instead the lay offs and route cancellations are part of a master plan aimed at desalinizing the competition or perhaps it really is an indication of loss of operational control.
I think you may have missed some sarcasm in girl17's post......

Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

tbaylx wrote:
Big Bird Anonymous wrote:Wow girl17, I would like to know if you are actually a real pilot. I guess all of the other 705 operators trying to make ends meet these days wouldn't be having troubles if they had this savior you mention running their show.

I think you may have missed some sarcasm in girl17's post......

...I see that now...

Anti-antivaxxer
coldandwet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by coldandwet »

Its not rocket science.... you can only fly a route with 2 0r 3 people on it for so long... Lose an A/C and you will have to downsize the staff requirements. Its aviation everyone, Ive been at this along time and know one thing for sure if you are worried about losing your job it means you still have one.. I guess these pilots will get to get out from under the blanket of this supposed horrible company and actually have to start working for their money instead of getting paid to bitch about it all day long. everyone breathe...lol

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Girl17, that was awesome! I'm surprised that Dilley's synergies haven't saved everyone yet!!

Good luck to the HA folks wherever you end up.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I remember when HawkAir first started and they pissed off PASCO by flying in their turf when they helped them start up (YVR-YYJ). Lucky there were only less than 5 people a flight and they gave up. A decade later and I thought they had found their footing in the industry but with CMA, Jazz, and now Encore operating connecting flights and nicer airplanes I would say that this airline doesn't have much left in it.

Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

You can take the company out of the bush...

Anti-antivaxxer
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Big Bird Anonymous wrote:You can take the company out of the bush...
That's painfully accurate, and it doesn't apply in just BC.

SRV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SRV »

...and now in need of a DoM...is this a sign?

Couldn't Stand the Weather
Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

SRV wrote:...and now in need of a DoM...is this a sign?
I see what you are insinuating here, but you need to understand that Mr. Jay Dilley's visionary attitude towards maintenance employees is that any one of them is completely interchangeable with any other one of them, and therefore can be replaced at any time. This brilliant and respectful approach to management ensures that at any time, there is a fresh, new DoM, with fresh new ideas and a "go-get-'er-done" attitude. Mr. Jay Dilley takes the professional development of his employees very seriously, and the results of this can be clearly observed in the fact that every team member he has driven away from a company inevitably moves on to a much more rewarding position elsewhere! It's in this way that Mr. Jay Dilley is "changing the leadership landscape". He's the builder of tomorrow's leaders!

Here's an inspirational quote from Mr. Jay Dilley via "Twitter"

"u can give a 1000 speeches but nothing has a bigger impact than personnel decisions u make Who u hire, fire & assign 2 projects"

SRV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SRV »

Girl17 wrote:
I see what you are insinuating here, but you need to understand that Mr. Jay Dilley's visionary attitude towards maintenance employees is that any one of them is completely interchangeable with any other one of them, and therefore can be replaced at any time. This brilliant and respectful approach to management ensures that at any time, there is a fresh, new DoM, with fresh new ideas and a "go-get-'er-done" attitude. Mr. Jay Dilley takes the professional development of his employees very seriously, and the results of this can be clearly observed in the fact that every team member he has driven away from a company inevitably moves on to a much more rewarding position elsewhere! It's in this way that Mr. Jay Dilley is "changing the leadership landscape". He's the builder of tomorrow's leaders!

"u can give a 1000 speeches but nothing has a bigger impact than personnel decisions u make Who u hire, fire & assign 2 projects"
I guess it's time for an Encore

Couldn't Stand the Weather
plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Hahaha. Brilliant

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Girl17 wrote:

:prayer:

Return to “General Comments”