Noise levels

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Noise levels

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Has anyone got any information or a link to any data or research that's been done on airplane noise levels? Stuff like the effect of altitude on noise levels on the ground. A useful comparison to other similar noises would be useful too, like train noise, vehicular noise, etc. Looking mostly towards light aircraft noise, single piston stuff.
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Noise levels

Post by PilotDAR »

SSU, PM me your email, and I'll send you (I mean bury you) in noise test standards. I've done the TC/EASA testing on the 182 amphibian.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Careful what you ask for you might just get it ;)

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Careful what you ask for you might just get it ;)
SSU did! :wink:

Pilots, owners, and modifiers in Canada are now subject to very disproportionate costs when it comes to demonstrating noise compliance. Yes, the affect of aircraft noise on neighbours should be mitigated as much as practical, as should the noise from other surface vehicles. If I approve a propeller change on even the most simple aircraft, a ten thousand dollar noise test could be invoked - even if the effect was to make a more quiet aircraft. Yet some cars seem to be being modified to be louder, with no compliance burden whatever.

I always consider the effects of noise on those on the ground when I fly, I do what I can to be more quiet. Sometimes I can power/RPM back, sometimes I cannot. I do what I can. Some of my clients have gone to great expense to make their aircraft more quiet and neighbourly.

I attended the CARAC meetings about 20 years ago, to voice opposition to the imposition of noise standards on small Canadian GA aircraft, I wrote letters to express dissent, and tried to gather support for the cause. Our industry stayed quiet then, so the regulations came into affect as presented by TC. Thus, noise compliance is the only standard which must be complied with at modification, which has nothing whatever to do with safety..... And it can be very expensive and time consuming to comply with!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Everyone should just fly 2 bladed 185's around and then they will know what noise is like

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

A single-engine piston pounder flying overhead at a thousand feet is a fraction as loud as a neighbour cutting their lawn, but people who live near airports still complain about the noise of aircraft. I don't think they would be happy if the planes were electrically-powered and made no noise at all; they just want to bitch about stuff.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Yup.. We had a lady a few years ago complain about gliders as "visual pollution" .. I kid you not.

Return to “General Comments”