Creating a Master Flightplan?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Creating a Master Flightplan?

Post by CamAero »

Am I able to create a master flightplan online?

I created a user account with the CFPS but I don't see a place for a master flightplan.

I have had one on file for 5 years, and used it all of the time but they tell me that they now have no record of it.

CA
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Creating a Master Flightplan?

Post by ahramin »

https://plan.navcanada.ca/account/login/?next=/

You just make a default flight plan from any airport and it will show up when FSS puts your registration in. Much better than the old master flight plan system as it doesn't expire.

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

Oh, ok thanks.

That wasn't clear to me.

So when I fill that template out and then later call them to file and it goes like:

FIC: "Hullo, Kamloops FIC"

Me: "Yeah, hello; Flightplan please"

FIC: "Ident?"

Me: "180 GABC on file"

they will have the record just like before?

No more long pauses and, "No; we have nothing for that ident on file"

?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Should work.

Or course then there is all the fun of flying FTU aircraft, when someone has made a master plan online but with incorrect information. And then being told by someone at Kamloops that I need to delete the plan, even though I did not make it. I asked them to delete it, and apparently they can't. Ah well...

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

I use CFPS also but I didn't know FSS could use that, I thought that was only available to file flight plans online. Filing online works really well if you have an iPad or iPhone. Other devices may work but I haven't tried. Just create a shortcut so it's on your home page.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

7ECA wrote:Should work.

Or course then there is all the fun of flying FTU aircraft, when someone has made a master plan online but with incorrect information. And then being told by someone at Kamloops that I need to delete the plan, even though I did not make it. I asked them to delete it, and apparently they can't. Ah well...
I got belittled by Kamloops once because the Seneca I was training in had like 3-4 master flight plans. They kept telling me every day when I called to file that I had to delete them or get someone to delete them. Problem is, it was club members who made them (by filing online) and they wouldn't tell us who made them so we could get them to delete it.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Don't even need to tell them it's on file. They see it as soon as they punch in the registration.

Unfortunately yes, there are problems with club planes and multiple plans. The NavCanPlan people didn't get any input from the FSS people which isn't a surprise but is dissapointing.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

What's a real pain is that sometimes the flight plan doesn't get properly dropped from the system after the flight is over and FSS can't delete it from their end. I had that happen one time with a KBGR trip I did. FSS kept complaining it was there and said they couldn't delete it, only I could. Problem was that when I logged on it didn't show on my page. Every single flight plan filed for weeks thereafter one of the FSS guys would complain about this flight plan and I kept telling them that I couldn't delete it because it didn't show up for me.

In general, I thought being able to file online would be a great idea, but for the brief stint that I did it, the FSS guys were so bitchy about it that I decided it wasn't worth the grief. Don't know if they perceived it as a threat to their jobs or what, but they would be downright rude if the system flubbed up and kept the plan or if I had to get them to send through a change (that was before I got my smartphone so if I was delayed I couldn't change it myself online). I was somewhat annoyed that they ended up bullying me in to not using the system just because I didn't feel like having to talk to a grump.

I now only use the American system and phone to file in Canada.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

HiFlyChick wrote:What's a real pain is that sometimes the flight plan doesn't get properly dropped from the system after the flight is over and FSS can't delete it from their end. I had that happen one time with a KBGR trip I did. FSS kept complaining it was there and said they couldn't delete it, only I could. Problem was that when I logged on it didn't show on my page. Every single flight plan filed for weeks thereafter one of the FSS guys would complain about this flight plan and I kept telling them that I couldn't delete it because it didn't show up for me.
I never found a way to close a flight plan online -- the only way is to call FSS or do it by radio. However I never had an issue with them not being able to delete it. Having said that I did have an minor problem yesterday with an IFR flight plan filed with fltplan.com. Cancelled IFR and landed, then phoned to check that the flight plan was closed and FSS said they couldn't see it. He did said he would ensure it was closed. (Perhaps it got closed automatically, but that shouldn't happen AFAIK).

Fltplan.com is the easiest way of filing. The only problem is that they've made it so simple you don't have full control over the flight plan, so you can't do things like en-route stops.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I registered for online flight plan filing a few years ago, and happened to mention this to a controller I know. He said that the online-filed plans come up on a different computer that has to be manually checked and plans transferred into the system. He said that it's preferred to do a master flight plan and just call it in. I stopped using the online system the day the tower didn't have my plan when I called to depart... They said it wasn't showing up, so I'd have to call Pacific Radio and file it over-the-air. PITA.

Is the CFPS better?

Return to “General Comments”