Backing up an airplane

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DFione1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Backing up an airplane

Post by DFione1 »

Hey guys,
I'm trying to find if there are any regulations regarding using reverse thrust to back up an airplane into a parking stall. If there is, could someone kindly give me some leads to where i can find the regulation.
---------- ADS -----------

t34ag
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by t34ag »

Can't think of any off hand......... but remember the rudder is useless. :idea:

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

There should be regulations against doing it on gravel. :shock: You know who you are...

split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

I think there is a regulatory compliance to reach over a smack the person next to you if they use reverse on gravel! to back up at least.

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

Company SOPs, aircraft limitations and/or Airport Operational restrictions might prohibit it but none of the CARs say that you can't.

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gurundu the Rat »

Northwest used to power back from the gates with DC-9s. You don't see that anymore, probably too many lawyers involved now.

DFione1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DFione1 »

thanks guys for the input. I just called TC and they said there isn't any regulations. In fact, they say they do it all the time. And yes! the guy that engages reverse thrust on gravel deserves a smack!!

tom
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tom »

Easy on a brakes when you back up

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Gurundu the Rat wrote:Northwest used to power back from the gates with DC-9s. You don't see that anymore, probably too many lawyers involved now.
Not true, they still do it with the 9's.

it'sme
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by it'sme »

As has been stated there aren't regulations with regard to "backing up" an airplane other than possible local airport restrictions or aircraft manufacturer restrictions.....however you may want to check with your insurance carrier. They will likely advise that should you incur aircraft damage or cause 3rd party damage you may find yourself on your own.

Watched a B200 back itself into a building one time....wasn't a pretty sight! I was in the 2nd floor pilot's lounge as the entire rudder and elevator/stab came crashing through.

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

Like Tom said; If you get up a head of steam going backwards, whether using reverse, or just rolling, don't use much brake or you will be on your tail in a hurry.

Schlem
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Schlem »

Using reverse to back out of a gate was one of the main contributing factors in the crash of the B-737 into the Ptomac river in DC a number of years ago. The snow being blown forward iced up the EPR probe and gave them a false EPR thrust setting indication on take off... so... beware!

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

I've backed planes, helicopters, and 18 wheelers. Never be too proud to employ a spotter if there's any doubt in your mind.

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

Powerbacks are O.K. for guys like Northwest who still do it, but there are lots of folks outside watching the operation and the ramp must be surgically clean. Even so, lots of grit gets fired forwards and gets sucked right into those nice fan blades. If done often enough, the hot sections get really nice and pricey replacing all those nice titanium blades. A lot of the aeroplanes I am familiar with require the buckets be stowed below 40 knots after landing to prevent grit from being thrown up into the intakes.

Unless the Flight Manual for the aeroplane has a procedure for powerbacks, it probably voids the C of A and the subsequent enforcement action that follows when the plane goes flying.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Air Nova used to do it with their DH-8's (obviously) back in a different time and place...

M402
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M402 »

the MNR does it with the CL415s all the time

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Backing up an airplane

Post by linecrew »

I've seen CANFORCE Hercs do it on our ramp many times but not before opening the rear door to (I assume) allow the loadmaster to be the pilot's eyes.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

M402 wrote:the MNR does it with the CL415s all the time
Yes we do but I do recommend a spotter or two on crowded raps and I never ever stop the aircraft in reverse with brakes but use forward beta to bring it to a halt.

tenten
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tenten »

I've seen TC do it many times and Voyageur reverses their Dash 7 every once in a while

DiscoDashSeven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DiscoDashSeven »

tenten wrote:I've seen TC do it many times and Voyageur reverses their Dash 7 every once in a while
You saw NOTHING!

Return to “General Comments”