" up to 3 charteres "

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1

" up to 3 charteres "

Post by LE8 »

Just some clarification,

Charter company that has a caravan available for charter can have up to 3 different individuals or companies charter the caravan.
So the 9 passenger caravan gets divided by 3.

Thoughts?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: " up to 3 charteres "

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Pardon?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Careful, depending on the year the caravan was manufactured and how many hours the pilot has on the Caravan with respect to passenger weight, the company's OC should clarify which 3rd party individual get to sit up front depending on the weather at the time. However the inertial separators should always be left open on the ground when operating on gravel.
Hopefully that sheds some light on your question.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

This should help: 9/3=3 so yes. If there were 7 parties I might need a calculator.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

This sums up my day at work in NWO

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

I think the OP is asking if 3 separate companies can charter the same aircraft and combine it all into 1 flight. 3 people per company for a total of 9 passengers.

At least I think that's what the OP is getting at...

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

I think the OP is referring to the charter company double/triple dipping. I've seen the charter company double and triple dip before. Company A charters for 3 employees to be picked up at location A, company B for 3 employees at location B and Company C for 3 employees at location C. Charter company sends one aircraft out, picks up at the 3 seperate locations and returns to base. All 3 companies are charged full charter rate for getting their respective employees picked up.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

That used to be known as "A Way That A Smart Dispatcher Could Help The Company Actually Make A Profit For Once" Now it's called "double dipping" and it's somehow bad.

When I worked for a charter company, this was in our tariff manual. For the sake of example let's say the plane costs two bucks a mile and "fish lake" is a hundred miles away. Well, if the store in fish lake wanted to charter the plane for a pop&chip haul, we would quote four hundred bucks- because that's what we charge to do that trip. If, sometime later, "Jeff" from fish lake wanted to charter a plane FROM fish lake, we would tell him the same thing- a charter to and from fish lake costs four hundred bucks.

See, the reason this is fair is because now, if Jeff decides not to show up, the store isn't screwed-you're still going. If the store burns down or whatever, Jeff isn't screwed, for the same reason. YOU'RE not screwed, because you're going to get the money for the trip one way or another. Any other way results in either one of the customers or the airline getting screwed if someone backs out of the deal.

In our tariff manual, this was recognized and the rule was that if this situation happened, then half the money from the "double" would be refunded. In other words, now Jeff only pays three hundred dollars, so does the store, so they benefit from the situation by getting $100 off the usual rate, and the airline gets to keep $200 extra, for their good fortune that day. Everybody wins. It's not a crime that you sometimes can make some extra money by being in the right place at the right time- it's business.

I've seen all kinds of stupid shit happen as a result of people not understanding the tariff manual, and airlines not understanding that they have a right to try and burn less gas when they have an opportunity to do so. I've been sent all the way home, EMPTY, from a drop-off on one 200-mile trip, only to be sent back STILL EMPTY, to the destination of the second trip for a pickup, that's only twenty miles from the first destination!! The company wouldn't let me just hop over to make the pick-up, they made me fly ALL the miles that were paid for, wastefully, because they didn't feel they could charge the customer for miles that weren't actually flown. Well, YOU CAN! It's not piracy, it's EFFICIENCY! Each customer got what they wanted, they paid a fair rate that takes into account the fact that the trip they paid for is guaranteed to happen regardless of whether the other guy backs out. If they have paid for the charter, the charter has done the original work they set out to do for the customer, then it is none of the customer's business what the plane does next. EXCEPT that the company should split the extra money they make half-and-half with the charterers. Everybody wins, no fuel and aircraft time is expended unnecessarily, and time is saved. I have never been able to understand why this isn't more thoroughly understood by charter companies. It's one of the reasons why there is a tariff manual.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

"Split" charters are legal. I'm not sure but I think there's a procedure.

Charging three different clients the full rate is definitely not.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I outlined the procedure in my post above. Half of the "extra" gets refunded and split between the charterers. The airline keeps the other half. It's fair for a host of reasons, including extra loading, extra paperwork, and security against one of the charterers suddenly backing out of the deal.

I haven't seen it actually work out that way since about 1995 or so, due to a lack of understanding of the procedure on the part of the airlines and "dispatchers". Mostly one of three things happens instead:

a)they just split the cost of a charter between all the customers, and eat the loss if one of them backs out and the trip still has to happen for the other guys who have already been quoted a reduced rate.

b) they just rip off the customers by charging them both full price and hoping the one doesn't know what the other one is doing.

c) They fly two whole trips even though the plane is empty for most of it.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

I doubt if the customers actually get a partial refund as described depending on the company. I know they're supposed to but I've never witnessed a customer actually get a portion back if they were unaware of such practices.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

If you guys are so scared of doing it the way meats ergo describes, then double your tariff and only charge loaded legs. That's the way the trucking industry does it.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

cncpc wrote:"Split" charters are legal. I'm not sure but I think there's a procedure.
Charging three different clients the full rate is definitely not.
Why would it be illegal? You have signed 3 contracts and fulfilled 3 contracts.

Now the ethics might be questionable. Note I said might.

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure

Return to “General Comments”