Headset Competition S1 VS Zulu PFX VS AV100 VS A20

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Headset Competition S1 VS Zulu PFX VS AV100 VS A20

Post by Broken Slinky »

I have a set of Bose A20 and X and a pair of AKG AV100s. I wear glasses and contacts with sunglasses from time to time. Between the AV100s and A20s, I noticed the AV100s allowed the most "noise" in, especially more treble. The more bassy sounds are filtered out. The A20s seem to be the opposite allowing more of the bass sounds in. The fit around the ears was better with the AV100s with sunglasses or glasses. They are a bit more fussy to get properly adjusted to my head though. The A20s are slower to connect to bluetooth than the AV100s. The AV100s also have a sexy girl talking to you when the battery gets low or you're connecting to bluetooth. She keeps me company and I like that so I just keep popping the batteries in and out. The LED lights on the AV100s are nice if you forget a light but I find that I'd prefer if it was a red light instead of the bluish/white colour. Also with smartphone apps, I'm never really without a decent light so...
Just bought the new patch cable for bluetooth music for the A20s so I'll report back once I have a chance to test it. See if there's any improvements there.
All in all, I'd say I prefer the A20s over the AV100s whereas my wife is the opposite. If you're on a budget, you can get lots of Xs for under $500 and the parts are cheap too. Mics with cables for the Xs are well under $100 and replacement foam ears are less than $25.
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Telex got it right with the 50D. I've used it in many loud turbine and piston aircraft. It has been exceptional. I tried a Lightspeed Zulu in my Pitts, and it couldn't keep up with the noise.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Telex Stratus 50D

LLB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LLB »

I have to make a correction to my post above.

S1 Digital warranty is 5 years.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Telex got it right with the 50D. I've used it in many loud turbine and piston aircraft. It has been exceptional. I tried a Lightspeed Zulu in my Pitts, and it couldn't keep up with the noise.
+1

Yup, only headset that I can use in everything. Extremely comfortable even with glasses, passive and active are superb in even the noisiest planes. I now own two sets. First set lasted 12 years before needing a repair.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

The Zulu's you can patch your Sat phone in and you can't on the second gen Bose A20. I love my Bose but I ffind this oversight anoying. Last time they missed auto on, but it is fixed on the new cord update. Also kuddos to Bose for selling the upgrade cord and allowing for a trade in deal, Great Job!

"I need a time machine"
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

Im shocked it took this long for someone to make a wireless headset

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

ogc wrote:
Me too, it's a little ugly looking, but I love the fact that the cord is gone! I hate the cord on my Bose.

"I need a time machine"
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Prodriver wrote:
ogc wrote:
Me too, it's a little ugly looking, but I love the fact that the cord is gone! I hate the cord on my Bose.
Love the concept and hate the cord... But I can already foresee my inevitable curses from not having a cord keep my new headset out of the drink!

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Not sure I'd buy a Sennheiser now - http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/ ... set-market

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

I've used them all and the S1 is hands down the best.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

The Tango headset is based off the Sierra ANR. So its less superior to the Zulu2 and PFX. I'll wait for reiteration #2 to come out before I consider a wireless unit.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

Update on my S1D.

After a year and a half i had to send it in for warranty work. The cord was seperating where it goes into the ear cup and causeing it to cut in and out.

Good news is they had it back within a week and the new cord they replaced it with is a beefier design so I dont think i will have that problem again.

I had to go back to my old DCs though for a couple days, man did i miss that ANR.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

So glad I don't have to wear any of those bulky headsets. Our planes are quiet enough that you can hear the pax talking in the back.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

We have 2 Lightspeeds and I will not buy another one. They want $75 plus $65USD return freight for software update that came out just after we purchased. They will not do the update without both charges at the same time as a warranty repair (which has free return freight....).

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
eastpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eastpilot »

I have actually tried everything!
I even used a crappy computer mic taped to a Seinnheiser
Earphone from a studio. (yes, I got laughed at)
I prefer the A20, because;
The mic is better
The audio from a device is better
Albiet not BY
The design is friggin tough
The headband is comfy
Refit kit cost 80 bucks after 2 years and 1900 hours of flying!!! Wow, a NEW feeling rig for 80 bucks!
But, #1...
It's Bose
I trust Bose
I believe in Bose
I prefer Sennheiser in the studio, but Bose is a better all around product!

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Gosport

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
NorOntair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NorOntair »

Sennheiser S1 is the best headset I have ever used. Hearing great things about the new David Clark Pro X but haven't tried them yet.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

After recent issues with my Lightspeeds (x2) thought I would post here. Both are having random squealing (in 1 ear only), and the plastic pivot is coming apart on 1. Not very good quality in my opinion. Both are having to be send in for warranty. I would not buy another one.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “General Comments”