White only companies?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

White only companies?

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I was just browsing around and saw this job add

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=105547

The company appears to be run by racists, who prefer "their own kind" as it clearly states they give preference to natives.

Since many pilots are not native, but are infact white, are there any companies who have a written policy to hire whites first?

Too bad these companies can't just hire based on interviews and logbooks.
---------- ADS -----------

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: White only companies?

Post by Darkwing Duck »

If I apply to a company that asks if I am part of a visible minority, have a disability, or what I do in my bedroom, etc, I refuse to answer these questions. I believe one should be hired on their merits and experience more so than of skin colour. To me, these types of questions are just as discriminating.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

SuperchargedRS wrote:I was just browsing around and saw this job add

The company appears to be run by racists, who prefer "their own kind" as it clearly states they give preference to natives.

Since many pilots are not native, but are infact white, are there any companies who have a written policy to hire whites first?

It's called an Equal Opportunity Employer, and what you'll find is that every major company in Canada has the same policy.

That doesn't make it a "whites only" airline - I think you will find most of the pilots at Wasaya are white. It means that given two candidates with equal credentials, they will preferentially hire the one who is a visible minority.

These policies seem to be misunderstood by just about everyone in this country, and you should spend some time understanding how this actually works before jumping to conclusions.

PROC_HDG

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

PROC_HDG wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:I was just browsing around and saw this job add

It's called an Equal Opportunity Employer, and what you'll find is that every major company in Canada has the same policy.

That doesn't make it a "whites only" airline - I think you will find most of the pilots at Wasaya are white. It means that given two candidates with equal credentials, they will preferentially hire the one who is a visible minority.

These policies seem to be misunderstood by just about everyone in this country, and you should spend some time understanding how this actually works before jumping to conclusions.

PROC_HDG

Do you know the meaning of "equal"?

Equal means we all are the same regardless of race, this employer is a racist.

Let's start up a charter Op, on the bottom of our pages well put something like the business in question has, we'll just change the race we prefer.

"We're proudly a 100% white owned and operated company and will give hiring preferences to white candidates"

So that's equal opportunity eh?

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Equal opportunity could also mean that you try to balance the opportunity for success available among all applicants. There is a fair amount of data to show that white males have had 'more' opportunity and thus are always able to be the better candidate because they had more money for training, less social stigma etc. Giving someone less qualified then you an 'opportunity' may not seem fair to you, but given that many of us have had enormous opportunity for progression because of where we were born and race I don't see the need to begrudge the underdogs the few opportunities they do get.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Wow

So a native is less qualified to operate a aircraft?!

Are you claiming it stems from a lack of mental abilities in the race? dexterity?

Personally I thinks thats a rather offensive load of crap, and if I was native I'd be quite offended.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

You are misreading I think into what I said. I was trying to say there is enormous inequality of opportunity if you are unlucky enough to be born in certain areas of the world, or certain race etc which then directly affects your ability to obtain training, social support, and many other factors which we take for granted. To give an example, if you are growing up as a Syrian refugee right now your chances of getting a good education are probably not as good as the average Canadian so it has nothing to do with racial traits but everything to do with lack of opportunity for one generation being passed down to their children for years to come.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

YYCAME wrote:You are misreading I think into what I said. I was trying to say there is enormous inequality of opportunity if you are unlucky enough to be born in certain areas of the world, or certain race etc which then directly affects your ability to obtain training, social support, and many other factors which we take for granted. To give an example, if you are growing up as a Syrian refugee right now your chances of getting a good education are probably not as good as the average Canadian so it has nothing to do with racial traits but everything to do with lack of opportunity for one generation being passed down to their children for years to come.
There are certain federal political parties that support the hiring of people based on race. We know which two parties are very much in support of this.

If you don't like the idea of the system assuming that you had more money and therefore more opportunity based on the exclusive factor that you are white, then vote for the party that is not in agreement with this race based system. They can't change the constitution, but they won't encourage racist hiring based quotas like some other parties want to do. like some other parties want to do.

I think the above post says it all. The thanks you get for bringing in a Syrian refugee is that he/she has been discriminated against by you and therefore, their offspring for years to come will get hiring priority over your kids when all qualifications are "equal". And remember, you will be labelled as a racist by the supporters of these two parties if you question the policy.

You can make a difference. Vote for your fair rights and your career. I voted in advance yesterday.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

If you put that type of wording giving preference to whites.... you'd have a frenzy of media, politicians, and SJWs coming out from the woodwork.

Affirmative action doesn't work. The people it benefits don't feel the value in having achieved something on merit (I've known lots of First Nations who got free flight training but never finished because they had nothing vested in it), and the others who are equally qualified but of the wrong demographic feel bitter.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

This is why there will always be racism and hate because of gov't policies such as this. Policies that state/determine race/gender etc is already making a distinction between candidates/employees. This distinction carries to other areas of life. If gov't, employers, and everyone stopped making distinctions and just hired the best qualified regardless of who they are, perhaps there will be less racism and hate? No?

And before some smart ass says well what if 2 different candidates of different origin are equally qualified, well flip a f'ing coin. And perhaps it's not best to work for a company that can't make small decisions without going into ethnics.

edit - clever post Pelmet, but that partyhas left the current policy of in place, so they are no different. When did the ethnic policy begin anyways?

Last edited by AirMail on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

pelmet wrote:
YYCAME wrote:You are misreading I think into what I said. I was trying to say there is enormous inequality of opportunity if you are unlucky enough to be born in certain areas of the world, or certain race etc which then directly affects your ability to obtain training, social support, and many other factors which we take for granted. To give an example, if you are growing up as a Syrian refugee right now your chances of getting a good education are probably not as good as the average Canadian so it has nothing to do with racial traits but everything to do with lack of opportunity for one generation being passed down to their children for years to come.
There are certain federal political parties that support the hiring of people based on race. We know which two parties are very much in support of this.

If you don't like the idea of the system assuming that you had more money and therefore more opportunity based on the exclusive factor that you are white, then vote for the party that is not in agreement with this race based system. They can't change the constitution, but they won't encourage racist hiring based quotas like some other parties want to do. like some other parties want to do.

I think the above post says it all. The thanks you get for bringing in a Syrian refugee is that he/she has been discriminated against by you and therefore, their offspring for years to come will get hiring priority over your kids when all qualifications are "equal". And remember, you will be labelled as a racist by the supporters of these two parties if you question the policy.

You can make a difference. Vote for your fair rights and your career. I voted in advance yesterday.
I really hope you didn't vote based on that.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/21/ha ... sed-hiring

And his record with the economy and foreign policy has been a disaster too....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Then it's up to the people to stop this crap, you run your country, not the politicians, just stop doing this crap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ

Don't care what anyone says you should do, or what the "rules" say, you put a in statement like what Wasaya did, you're a racist.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

iflyforpie wrote:If you put that type of wording giving preference to whites.... you'd have a frenzy of media, politicians, and SJWs coming out from the woodwork.

Affirmative action doesn't work. The people it benefits don't feel the value in having achieved something on merit (I've known lots of First Nations who got free flight training but never finished because they had nothing vested in it), and the others who are equally qualified but of the wrong demographic feel bitter.

Bingo

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

You may be right that reparations as a policy do not work in the long run, certainly there are examples where it just bred widespread hatred over the perceived injustice of one generation paying for the sins of their forefathers. The only way to make things really 'fair' though to is to plug everyone into an algorithm and give out seniority numbers like some weird dystopian movie. I don't see the need to get angry though about people trying to be kind or show compassion to others who need a little help up the ladder, which is totally different from the old boys club giving members of their tribe exclusive access. I think there are far more people who jump the queue because they happen to know someone then there are underprivileged types being given a hand up but you can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

In the end we all just want decent standards of living, and the enemy of that is not the guy next to you trying for the same job but the system built in favor of greed and short on compassion which wants to pit you against each other. The myth of scarcity and so forth.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

YYCAME wrote: I was trying to say there is enormous inequality of opportunity if you are unlucky enough to be born in certain areas of the world, or certain race etc which then directly affects your ability to obtain training, social support, and many other factors which we take for granted.
I think you're right. Surely, then, the best solution is for people to give more support and motivation to their kids to become pilots (or whatever). That can be done through mentoring, role models, work placement, subsidized training, etc.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Yeah I think I'd agree that giving opportunity in training and development is a better way to go instead of rigging the job competitions.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Once you have your pilot license, it is too late to do any "positive" discrimination. If you want to do something like that, as YYCAME said, do it for access to training (eg free/reduced cost pilot training / college / ... ). If you apply as a pilot for a pilot position, it is up to the company to make sure the "best" pilot gets hired, not the one with the most unique skin color.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Role models have an impact on kids' choices. Mentors have an impact on kids' successes. Please, all you white males on here complaining about affirmative action stop and think about how your careers would have gone without the support you got from other white males.

It's important to help qualified visible minorities get jobs in white male dominated industries because it provides a role model for all the others who might be interested. How many people here would have pursued a pilot career if all the pilots were women in pink dresses? What effect would that have had on you as a 10 year old kid thinking about what you wanted to be when you grow up?

I get it, the white men like the fact that there aren't any handicaps in being a white man, and don't like it when society decides that they should have a handicap to try to even the field. Don't worry, the minor handicap that a few affirmative action hirings places on you is nothing compared to everyone else's difficulties. You're still way ahead of the game, let this one go.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

im sooo happy i dont vote :P

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Official discrimination or whatever you want to call it in job competitions will always be problematic at best. No question.
As far as treating all people in society “equally” though, that doesn’t work either. Those who rail on about ensuring equal treatment might benefit from looking at the differences between equal and equitable treatment and how the differences apply to the situation at hand.

Return to “General Comments”