ARTIC AIR---- NOT CBC TV.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

ARTIC AIR---- NOT CBC TV.

Post by longjon »

Would anyone know if Ted Pickell was the owner of Arctic Air? They ran a couple DC3,s in B.C. a few years back. ( I helped change a wing on one of the 3,s)
I read about his Arctic Construction and Stewart Port World and am wondering if its the same guy?
---------- ADS -----------

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ARTIC AIR---- NOT CBC TV.

Post by flaps78 »

Good day,

The Arctic Air that I was familiar with in 1971 was based in Ft. Nelson with a base in Fort Simpson. Harold Rainforth was the CP (later with Petro Can YYC). I thought that Jim Keen of Keen Construction was the owner of Arctic Air at the time (but it was 44 years ago). Arctic Air had a least 2 DC-3's and did a lot of work for Pan American Oil (later Amoco) in the Pointed Mt.area.

Flaps 78

Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Confliction »

That's the one I know of too...I think Pete Cowie was one of the owners - at least in late 60's.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Many thanks, I have a picture of the 2 DC3s in YXY and as I said as an apprentice I helped change a wing on one at Atlantic Aviation YVR.

strikestwo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by strikestwo »

Arctic Air Ltd was started by Pete Cowie in the mid 1960's in Fort Simpson. He had bought the old Northern Mountain Airlines base there. With the oil and gas boom in the late 1960's Pete couldn't keep up with he demand and sold to Keen Industries (Bob Keen). Keen Industries got into trouble on the extension of the BC Rail line to Dease Lake. They had a base in Fort Nelson with 3 DC-3s (DXU, PIK plus one) supporting the construction camps.

In 1975 Arctic Air Base in CYFS sold to the Tweeds and Val Vallaincourt. They later bought the Fort Nelson base and operated as Simpson Air Ltd. After a number of accidents they threw in the towel and sold to Ted Grant and Paul Jones in 1981. The firm became Simpson Air (1981) Ltd. Paul lasted about a year and Ted Grant soldiers on.

strikestwo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by strikestwo »

Arctic Air Ltd was started by Pete Cowie in the mid 1960's in Fort Simpson. He had bought the old Northern Mountain Airlines base there. With the oil and gas boom in the late 1960's Pete couldn't keep up with he demand and sold to Keen Industries (Bob Keen). Keen Industries got into trouble on the extension of the BC Rail line to Dease Lake. They had a base in Fort Nelson with 3 DC-3s (DXU, PIK plus one) supporting the construction camps.

In 1975 Arctic Air Base in CYFS sold to the Tweeds and Val Vallaincourt. They later bought the Fort Nelson base and operated as Simpson Air Ltd. After a number of accidents they threw in the towel and sold to Ted Grant and Paul Jones in 1981. The firm became Simpson Air (1981) Ltd. Paul lasted about a year and Ted Grant soldiers on.

Return to “General Comments”