Taxis, pilots, and tipping

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Strega »

I flew into Pearson earlier today, and had to take a taxi...

Why is it you're expected to tip a cabbie, but not your pilot?

FYI I would imagine in many cases, a pilot is paid less than the cabbie...

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Commonwealth »

In my experience taxi drivers are some of the most entitled people when it comes to tips. If you give anything less than 10% almost all of them will cry the blues. Taxi drivers have an easier job than restaurant servers yet expect a tip regardless of the service they provide. I say bring on Uber in every jurisdiction and we can be rid of them all together.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Commonwealth wrote:In my experience taxi drivers are some of the most entitled people when it comes to tips. If you give anything less than 10% almost all of them will cry the blues. Taxi drivers have an easier job than restaurant servers yet expect a tip regardless of the service they provide. I say bring on Uber in every jurisdiction and we can be rid of them all together.
Some pilots are the most entitled people that I know! Servers work harder than many pilots! Should we "bring on" Uber of the skies? You know, an unlicensed charter or "air taxi"?? Careful what you wish for.

Ricktye
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ricktye »

Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AWOS »

A cab driver told me that they pay their employer to "rent" the cab and for gas and then any profit in fares after that goes to them. I could sort of see why they'd expect to be tipped seeing as they're just trying to turn a profit. That being said, I don't really like the idea of tipping as a whole. Waiters are already getting paid minimum wage in Canada and then are expected to get paid 15% of each bill on top of that. I can put up with tipping for good service, but when I receive average or poor service, why should I still be expected to shell out an extra 15%?
Not only that, but now it seems like everyone is adopting the tipping system. Even my local beer store's debit machine prompts for tips and the workers there don't really do much besides stock the shelves.

Ricktye wrote:Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
Because I'm not personally paying for the fuel and I'm not going to tip out of my own pocket just so I can work - plus, in some cases, the guy fueling up the plane is paid more than the guy driving it. However, back when I worked at an FBO, there were GA guys who would give us a few bucks when fueling them up.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

The refueler in not providing me with a service he's providing it to the company

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

AWOS wrote:Waiters are already getting paid minimum wage in Canada
Unless something has changed in the very recent past, I'm pretty sure there is a lower wage set for servers as they generate "significant" income from tips. DanWEC, have a go at this one.

Having said that, shitty service gets a shitty tip. That doesn't mean if the food is slow, that means if they generally don't serve you well. I have never left a zero tip, but if I am really pissed off I will leave a penny or a nickel. Then they know it's not because I "stiffed" them.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Back in the 703 world I wish I got tipped. I know a few float guys who said they made off quite well in the busy months.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ricktye wrote:Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

I'd much rather tip the cook if I really have to tip someone.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Strega wrote:
Why is it you're expected to tip a cabbie, but not your pilot?
Thoughts?
Most of mine come from scenic flights, but the odd charter and even sked passenger have tipped too.

Guess I'm just a better pilot! :wink:

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

digits_ wrote:I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

Some restaurants share tips with the kitchen. I have personally walked into a kitchen where I received crap service, but the food was excellent and gave the cooks a decent tip and left nothing for the wait staff...

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JasonE wrote:
digits_ wrote:I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

Some restaurants share tips with the kitchen. I have personally walked into a kitchen where I received crap service, but the food was excellent and gave the cooks a decent tip and left nothing for the wait staff...

Yeah, 10 or 20 % of the tips for the kitchen is what I have heard. Should really be the other way around. Actually the whole tip system is messed up.

One of the very few downsides of Canada :D

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Every province is different some allow a lower minimum wage when tips are expected to help out while others don't. As for the cooking staff they get tipped out from the servers, this comes from the servers totals SALES not tips so if you stiff a server and don't tip them at all you just made them pay to serve you because they still have to tip out the back end.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Pilots don't need to be tipped, because they love flying and they love what they do. Taxi drivers and waiters do what they do because it is the best paid job they were able to find with their level of education or according to the job market. Pilots are generally intelligent, well educated, and capable, yet consciously opt to pursue a field which offers lower wages and benefits because its a "labour of love", unlike driving taxis or waiting tables. So don't tip- getting up into the clear blue sky is already reward enough for them!

Yes, this is a tongue-in-cheek comment, however, there is a grain of truth in every joke. I am totally against the North American tipping culture, the way that it gets employers off the hook from paying realistic wages by placing the burden on the customer and the attitude of entitlement (at least 10-15% for mediocre, surly service) it creates. Call me cheap- I'm a pilot. But it is a messed up system.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Pilots are generally intelligent, well educated, and capable, yet consciously opt to pursue a field which offers lower wages and benefits because its a "labour of love", unlike driving taxis or waiting tables.
Im not so sure I would agree with you... I would speculate most cab drivers (foreign) in Canada, are far more educated as a whole than pilots...

Anyway,, I think its absolute rubbish tipping people to do what is expected of them...

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Every Airline I've worked for had a policy that prohibited staff from accepting tips of any kind.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I tip in general, and for truly exceptional service I tip big. But lately tipping has gotten out of hand. For decades it was a standard 10%. Now in the last few years I'm being prompted for 15 or 20%? Why? Has the standard of service suddenly improved by that much? Can we expect 30% by 2020? I'm actually offended when the tip rate on the debit machine is defaulted at 20%. So I either pay less and feel like a cheapskate or give in and get fleeced for every cent. I refuse to play by this mild form of extortion. I don't care if servers or taxi drivers make the bulk of their money through tips, if at the end of the day it isn't enough, find something else!

Dudes slinging beer at the vendor looking for tips. Tip jars popping up at more and more fast food restaurants, and now retail stores..? an ever increasing sense of entitlement! Wouldn't be surprised if in a few years pilots had their hat in hand while people filed by on arrival. And why stop there? Like someone said, that fueller is due for his share too! And ATC, surely they must get tipped for slipping you into that stacked pattern! Tips for everyone!!!

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Actually a 1-10 scale you could send via EFB to nav Canada on how your ATC service was when you land would be neat.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm with Mr North: for decades, the standard had been around ten percent so that the "tip" kept pace with the cost of the food. Now, fifteen to twenty percent is being "suggested". Suggested by whom, you might ask? Well, I just spent 10 - 15 minutes with my buddy "google" and I couldn't find a definitive answer. However, I did find out that a 'suggested' tip rate at a high end restaurant approaches thirty percent. Meadow Muffins! Horse Puckey! This olde pharte continues to calculate ten percent on the before tax computation. I don't give a rat's rear if the tip has to be shared with the back room staff! Suddenly, I have to ensure the cook is making a living wage? Let's put that onus on the backs of the facility owners and not burden the customer with the well-being of their staffs. FWIW, there are reports of restaurants that have mandated "NO TIPPING".

Now, as to tipping pilots: great idea! However, where would you place the cut-off? I mean, it would be a little disconcerting if I saw my WestJet pilot son standing at the exit door of his Boeing with his cap and an attached note that read "Recommend 30 % as tips have to be shared with cabin staff".

Return to “General Comments”