Enerjet and the refugees

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mattjvancouver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Enerjet and the refugees

Post by mattjvancouver »

"Hey, I know the Syrian refugees don't have it so good right now, but shouldn't we be making sure everyone over here is taken care of first?"

Now replace "Syrian" with "Jewish" and go back a few years.

Condemning people to a hellish life or a likely death just because life isn't perfect "over here" sounds just as ignorant in both contexts.

"Yeah well I don't want any terrorists slipping in."

750,000 refugees have settled in the USA since 9/11 and none have been arrested on terrorism charges. If terrorists want to get in they'll try the same ways they have in the past.

"Whatever, I'm just trying to keep my family safe."

So are the refugees.
---------- ADS -----------

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

mattjvancouver wrote:750,000 refugees have settled in the USA since 9/11 and none have been arrested on terrorism charges. If terrorists want to get in they'll try the same ways they have in the past.
That is just a wildly inaccurate statement. You may recall a pair of brothers who were in the US as refugees, the Tsarnaev's. Had been granted a fresh start were attending university getting an education and still killed innocent Americans at the Boston Marathon.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hol ... 37734bb934

France Is Still Accepting 30,000 Refugees While Some U.S. Governors Want To Ban Them

mattjvancouver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mattjvancouver »

Roar wrote:
mattjvancouver wrote:750,000 refugees have settled in the USA since 9/11 and none have been arrested on terrorism charges. If terrorists want to get in they'll try the same ways they have in the past.
That is just a wildly inaccurate statement. You may recall a pair of brothers who were in the US as refugees, the Tsarnaev's. Had been granted a fresh start were attending university getting an education and still killed innocent Americans at the Boston Marathon.
The pair of brothers who bombed the Boston Marathon in 2013 were not refugees. They were, on the contrary, children of an asylee, according to the State Department, and the distinction is crucial.

Strictly speaking, they were the children of asylees. As Bloomberg News explained the two were given “derivative asylum status” and didn’t come through the refugee admissions program. Apparently the legal distinction is too fine a point.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

The 737 isn't really the aircraft for the job. I'm sure Enerjet is out looking for opportunities, and good for them for trying to drum up business when they see an opportunity. As mentioned, we have the C17's and Air Canada/Transat with appropriate aircraft for the job should they be needed.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Semantics, the difference is where they happened to be when they made their claim. Doesn't change the fact that they had been granted a better life in the US and still hated them for it.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Strobes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Strobes »

Canada is unable to properly take care of it's own "REAL CANADIANS" (FN and everyone else), how the bloody hell do you expect us to take care of new arrivals who do not speak our language, have no experience with the separation of Church and State, and whose country is being blown up by the product of NATO (that means us) influence in the region. These people have every reason to be jaded against us.

They're not coming for our freedom and the safety of their families, they are coming for North American and European welfare programs. Rwandans and Burundians are still in refugee camps 20 years later. And it was genocide over there.

NATO for all intents and purposes is in a state of war with the Middle-East. Bombings and troops on the ground and all. Never before in the history of the world have an attacking or invading country accepted millions of refugees from the countries it attacked or invaded. Can you imagine, Germany accepting floods of British or French refugees during WW2?

Tough shit, but taking them just because it makes us "feel good" is not the way to go. We shouldn't have gone in there in the first place. Now, we need to tell our governments to go help them in their own country. Fix our mess. Because otherwise we leave a huge vacuum over there, and - gasp! - yes, incompatible (with Canadian Society) (in the near term) people coming over here.

Because we have such abundant resources, we have lost our instinct of self-preservation. So what do you think will happen when the resources dry up? Violent tribalism? Genocide? World War? Pick 3!

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Strobes wrote:Canada is unable to properly take care of it's own "REAL CANADIANS" (FN and everyone else), how the bloody hell do you expect us to take care of new arrivals who do not speak our language, have no experience with the separation of Church and State, and whose country is being blown up by the product of NATO (that means us) influence in the region. These people have every reason to be jaded against us.

They're not coming for our freedom and the safety of their families, they are coming for North American and European welfare programs. Rwandans and Burundians are still in refugee camps 20 years later. And it was genocide over there.

NATO for all intents and purposes is in a state of war with the Middle-East. Bombings and troops on the ground and all. Never before in the history of the world have an attacking or invading country accepted millions of refugees from the countries it attacked or invaded. Can you imagine, Germany accepting floods of British or French refugees during WW2?

Tough shit, but taking them just because it makes us "feel good" is not the way to go. We shouldn't have gone in there in the first place. Now, we need to tell our governments to go help them in their own country. Fix our mess. Because otherwise we leave a huge vacuum over there, and - gasp! - yes, incompatible (with Canadian Society) (in the near term) people coming over here.

Because we have such abundant resources, we have lost our instinct of self-preservation. So what do you think will happen when the resources dry up? Violent tribalism? Genocide? World War? Pick 3!
Couldnt agree more.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

It'd be cool if all 25,000 of them were pilots coming here.

Be fun to see peeps change their tunes on here hue hue

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

tbaylx wrote:The 737 isn't really the aircraft for the job. I'm sure Enerjet is out looking for opportunities, and good for them for trying to drum up business when they see an opportunity. As mentioned, we have the C17's and Air Canada/Transat with appropriate aircraft for the job should they be needed.
Unless the plan is to spread the refugees across the country after they arrive, in which a 737 would be feasible.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

In a year from now, most of them will have learnt English and will be working in factories, meat plants, etc. Doing all the jobs that current Canadians don't want to do, and are being filled by TFW. I see it as a lot less TFWs and more people who actually want to be here.

Most Syrians are just normal people, not religious fanatics. They just want a normal safe life. Watch TV with their families in the evening, glass of wine with dinner, and save some money for retirement.

If Harper got really pissed about loosing the election and started bombing Canada. Then the Americans and Russians pick sides to support, NDP asks for support from China, 3-sided civil war, all that nasty business. I'd bet you'd loose your national pride real quick and want to leave Canada in a hurry. A lot of us would want to go to the US, despite some State Governors saying "keep all those russo-commie canucks out of my state"

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

The refugees are not wanting to become Canadian or any other nationality by choice. Granted I am sure Canada would top most of their list if they were given a choice but they are wanting a better life than what they currently have and will go to the first country that accepts them, whether that be a European country or a North American one.

I have no problem accepting refugees. My issue is we are doing it too quick? Why so fast? Will they turn to dust if we do not have them here by the end of the year? That will not be the case. And if it is imperative that we must do it by this deadline then let it be woman and children first until full and precise background checks can be done. Take the time to do the proper screening. A lot of European citizens are being terrorized in their own cities and towns because those of the exodus are "demanding" certain things and are not getting them. Therefore they are turning to violence, from raiding homes to destroying store fronts and their own temporary camps. I don't know about you but I was taught that we are to respect and appreciate what is given to us, no matter how much we may dislike it. Do we want that here or is this the media blowing things out of proportion? Remember it is those few bad apples (terrorists) mixed in with the good ones that can spoil the lot. Most of the pictures we see on the news of the refugees are of middle aged males running from the horrible mess currently over there. Why is this? How come these guys are not taking up the cause and fighting for their rights and freedoms as opposed to running. War is not always the solution but there is a time and a place when one must drop the gloves and fight for what you believe in. For example, if the Canadian government became corrupt, invoked marshall law and dictatorism and we lost our high standard of life and everyday freedoms that we take for granted, I am sure most of us would not be running for the border. Ah, hell no! If that meant going to war to make my country a better place, well by all means, Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

I know I am armchair quarterbacking here. These are just my opinions, perspectives and thoughts, But my other question is, how come the Arab Gulf nations (Saudi, Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, etc) are not taking any refugees? Those buggers have only one thing on their mind and it is all about themselves and self preservation first and foremost.

Getting onto the aviation aspect of this thread... We need to look after our own, first and foremost. How many have been laid off due to the low oil prices in Alberta and now with Keystone being shut down??? If this rescue of refugees does go into effect why not contract flights to the private airline sector. The government should tender this out and let the likes of Enerjet bid for a few trips. Mr. Morgan's perception in the article is not really that goodwill. I can't see Enerjet doing this for nothing less than trying to drum up business. He just put the humanitarian spin on it. Good on them for forward thinking. Their airplanes are practically parked (see above re low black gold $s). If this does go through I hope they will make a trip or two to keep the coffers somewhat full, but as mentioned, and I have to agree, the B737 may not be the best type for the mission and would probably end up costing more in the long run, as opposed to utilizing a larger, more capable aircraft.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.

Return to “General Comments”