JetBlue "Cadet" Program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

JetBlue "Cadet" Program

Post by 5x5 »

AVWeb wrote:JetBlue plans to develop an “ab-initio” training program for its Embraer SA E190 crews, the company told Bloomberg News last week. The airline must get FAA approval for its plans, but if it does, it would become the only U.S. airline to recruit zero-time pilots. The program will start with about two dozen participants, said JetBlue spokesman Doug McGraw. The training will be designed to build “the complex skills required of airline pilots from the first day ... to ensure the quality of our current cadre of pilots is maintained,” he said. Under FAA rules, pilots must log 1,500 hours of flight time before serving as first officer for an airline.

Ab-initio programs (Latin for “from the beginning”) are a common hiring practice for airlines around the world, but rare in the U.S. McGraw told Bloomberg the company launched the effort to gain access to a broader pool of pilot candidates, oversee their training from the start, and expose them earlier to being part of a crew. The airline plans to launch the program on a trial basis next year, pending FAA approval. “The program is designed to accommodate prospective trainees with little-to-no aviation experience, but who pass a rigorous selection process,” McGraw said. Unlike similar programs abroad, however, applicants in the program would pay for their own training. JetBlue would make a commitment to hire those who complete all requirements.

Training will be simulator-intensive, according to Bloomberg, and also will include academic classes taken at JetBlue. Recruits then will move to a partner training provider to log their 1,500 hours. The first graduates would join the airline as first officers in 2020. Jim Bigham, chairman of ALPA, told Bloomberg it’s not a great idea. “We’re opposed to it,” Bigham said. “We think there are thousands of pilots available that have higher qualifications right now than any pilot coming out of an ab-initio program.” ALPA represents JetBlue pilots.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Je ... 293-1.html

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. While the model may work in Europe without the extensive network of smaller aviation companies underpinning the airlines, I'm not sure what value it will bring here. Obviously JetBlue has looked at the economics of it and expect it to be cheaper, for them at least. Wonder what the costs will be to the successful applicants?
---------- ADS -----------

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: JetBlue "Cadet" Program

Post by Meatservo »

5x5 wrote: Wonder what the costs will be to the successful applicants?
Their souls? I wonder what "Jet Blue" is planning on paying these suckas. If it's the same as they are paying their F.O.s now, I think they ought to make that clear.

I really believe that airlines should look into hiring people off the street to train as executives. Then they could control the complex skills and quality of their leadership, and ensure THAT is maintained.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

gain access to a broader pool of pilot candidates
to ensure the quality of our current cadre of pilots is maintained
Unlike similar programs abroad applicants in the program would pay for their own training.
Good luck with that.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

And the race to the bottom continues :roll:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I'm starting to think there is no bottom. It's turtles all the way down.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

So they expect me to ride in the back with two pilots up front who have never flown solo, nor thought their way through managing a problem, or making a decision for themselves, based upon their solo flying experience? Not if I find out about it first!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

It's OK, Dar, they'll have a dog beside them to bite them if they touch the controls!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

As for pay, I highly doubt there will be a "B" scale, as the pilot group just voted in ALPA as a union.

More people have flipped out and went crazy, than have crashed a plane at JetBlue. The pilots there are good folks. They have a good culture that cultivates learning and professionalism.

Plus it's an E-jet. It's so easy a Jarhead could fly it...

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.

Return to “General Comments”