Cold Altitude Correction

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cold Altitude Correction

Post by goingnowherefast »

AuxBatOn wrote:For exactly what rational reason would you NOT correct for cold temperature?! It is sometimes quite significant...
I can't think of any valid reason not to use cold weather corrections for IFR procedures. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's smart.

Maybe training, screaming VFR, with a training pilot looking outside and you'd rather practice the procedures than read the little chart while burning through $250/hr in that old twin you rented. But then you aren't actually IFR anyway. Obstacle clearance is by visual means.

For VFR circuits, I can see the damn ground! Just don't fly into it! No temperature corrections required.
---------- ADS -----------

springlocked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by springlocked »

Here is another fly in the ointment LPV approach mins do not require temp correction -- also if one is doing a missed approach and are going to add temperature corrections it's in your best interest to advise ATC of the indicated altitude you are correcting to. For "on the fly thinking" remember min altitudes are just that and as long as you correct on the "fat" side all is good. I piss my pants when I see guys go to the temperature correction chart and start calculations to the 3rd decimal point. Just round up to the nearest 100 feet and for higher altitudes get an idea of what how the scale works are round up by 500 or 1000 feet. It's like doing a procedure in clear air above the clouds and ice. Approach maneuvering altitudes are just that. Not a fixed altitude you must be at. You can use any altitude you want as long as you are either cleared for it or in uncontrolled airspace.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

apex190 wrote:i know someone who failed their IFR because they did not correct in a VFR circuit.
If they're on an IFR ride, they're not flying a VFR circuit. You might be thinking of a circling approach at minimums, which of course you must correct. If you don't, yes, grade of 1 for causing actual danger to ththe aircraft and FAIL.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

springlocked wrote:Here is another fly in the ointment LPV approach mins do not require temp correction --.
Please explain and provide a reference. LPV is flown to baro minima so why don't you need temp corrections

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

springlocked wrote:Here is another fly in the ointment LPV approach mins do not require temp correction
Do you have a reference for that? If doesn't make sense to me, since the minimums are still based on the barometric altimeter, which is subject to temperature errors.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Edo wrote:
springlocked wrote:Here is another fly in the ointment LPV approach mins do not require temp correction --.
Please explain and provide a reference. LPV is flown to baro minima so why don't you need temp corrections
You do have to temperature correct the DH as it is referenced off the altimeter. I think what he meant was that the LPV calculated glidepath is not effected by temperature like a BARO-VNAV is. Hence there is no minimum temperature below which you cannot fly a LPV without a temperature compensating FMS like there is for a LNAV-VNAV.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

The AIP has a chart for the cold air correction, but it applies to IFR flights, no requirement for VFR since VFR pilots see the ground all of the time no exceptions, When flying in extream cold weather you will be closer to the ground so your indicated altitude is incorrect, Using your flight computer will help in making the necessary correction for true altitude,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “General Comments”