Part 135 Checkride

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Part 135 Checkride

Post by Chaxterium »

Hello,

I'm a Canadian pilot but next week I'll be doing an FAA Part 135 ride on a Falcon 900 (what an amazing aircraft btw!). I understand that the FAA tends to take the oral quite a bit more seriously than TC does so I was wondering if anyone out there that has done many 135 rides has any of idea of what they typically like to ask. I'm more concerned with regulatory questions. Are there any major differences in the way the Yanks do things that a regular Canuck driver might not realize?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Cheers,
Chax
---------- ADS -----------

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Part 135 Checkride

Post by Nark »

I've done a few.

Other than typical systems knowledge stuff, a good start would be the difference for the ATPL conversion exam.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I did one, but just the sim portion as PNF. There was a few things different like the RVR 600 departure with the Cat 2 hold short line being farther from the threshold, where they kind of try to set you up for an incursion I think they might have set us up for a take off below limit to test knowledge and then raised the wx a bit when we declined departure based on wx. They did the simulated dead PNF single pilot thing for one approach. Pretty straight forward stuff otherwise. Circling approach was a bit hoakey where you can't really see the threshold once you pass it cause the sim didn't have side windows, so you have to estimate the turn to base. They had some 45 degree 45 second thing that seemed to work OK.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Lately when I've been at FSI the instructors have been all over the 135 guys about how they must touch the wheels down something like 1000ft from the threshold -200ft/+700 (don't quote me on those numbers but it's around that) as touchdown point is on the check ride standard. You might want to ask and FAA instructor the exact standard on touchdown point.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Our FOM's state that we much touchdown within the touchdown zone, or we go around.
So that would be based on what your company book says. Nothing in the FARs say you have to land +/-
X Feet.
Also, critical ILS area hold short line is something you as the pilot have to abide by, wx less than 800 or 2sm.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Systems and IFR procedures.

Our rides have mainly systems orals, might ask who is your DO, CP, DOM, what's a SMS, where would you find your GOM, OPSPEC. Etc, weather reporting requirements, alternate reqs, etc

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Systems x1000000.

I did a GII ride for my conversion, and I had to know things like the temp of the air as it went from the engine as it went into the airframe... extra fun since that airplane does half the temps in celsius, half in fahrenheit. We did 2h of questions like this (and some regulatory stuff, details of which I can't remember) and then due to sim delays, did another 2h.

The ride was pretty straight forward, just a few time where they tried to mess me up with not having proper runway lights turned on for low vis takeoffs, etc. They're a bit more "tricky" than TC guys are/are allowed to be.

Good luck!

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

And... As Part 135 is a company-specific check ride, read your ops manual.
There is a fixed amount of time for the ride and zero ability of the inspector to waive any maneuvers, expect to be hustled along or you will have to book again to finish the ride. If you do pooch a maneuver, plan for an extra training session then another ride to retest the failed bits.

If you do pooch a maneuver, do not, DO NOT let it ruin your concentration, continue and finish the ride. The "airplane" is under your control and needs to be safely returned to the ramp. If you really f up the ride will be stopped.

Never ever forget to fly the aircraft, pass control if any doubt.

The comments on the oral are accurate, the Inspector has to ask questions from a script.
Also, the comments on Limitations are true, know them cold. You will be asked questions from all of the systems so I hope you paid attention in ground school. If the inspector finds a weak spot, he will worry it until you prove you know it, or you prove it that don't.

"Part 91, license to kill yourself." "Part 135, license to get violated."

Last edited by xsbank on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

My BBD700 ride was long that was the main diff. They have a book(FAA) Practical Test Standards I believe (sorry been awhile) allthe info is there. The oral was about 2 hours all system and a bit on our opspecs. Don't BS if you don't know it know where to find it.

A SID a STAR and 4 approaches 2 hand flown one will be a single Eng hand flown ILS no biggie ESP if you are using a HUD. All the stalls clean departure and landing config. Also steep turns one in each direction 180 degs, no biggie on the 900;-)

Have fun with it learning will happen, you will be tired when you are done. If you have a partner and both rides happen on same day you will be exhausted.

Cheers and good luck..........Jim

Last edited by JMACK on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Yes, Practical Test Standards is on the FAA website. It will be a learning experience for to find it, if they haven't changed their site!

You won't be recommended for your ride until you are ready. Your instructor will tell you everything you need for it, in fact your last session will likely be a ride scenario and might even include a practice oral.

Break a leg!

"What's it doing now?"
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

One last thing, you have a week so stay fit, sleep lots, don't skip meals. You might be in a strange city but resist the fun factor; like Jmack says, the ride will exhaust you and you will find yourself fading on the second ride, you don't want to be sleep-deprived or hung over, especially if you are on night-shift. They will wring you out.

Don't ask me how I know this.

"What's it doing now?"
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Thanks for all the info folks. I'm not too concerned with the practical portion, I am more concerned with the oral. Fortunately, I'm by myself so I only have to sit through one ride.

I've been flying under 705 for years so I'm not too worried about having to do a flight test, I just know that the FAA loves their oral tests, and tend to be a bit trickier so I'm trying to stay ahead of the game as much as I can.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Cheers,
Chax

Return to “General Comments”