Flight instructor demand?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flight instructor demand?

Post by marakii »

Just curious due to movement and hiring of new pilots will present instructors fill the void in the 703 world and the schools losing a bunch of them?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Flight instructor demand?

Post by Panama Jack »

That's a bit of a crystal ball question.

However, if events in the USA are any kind of an indication, they are facing an instructor shortage with schools sweetening the pie by offering better compensation packages, signing bonuses, or incentives such as free advanced ratings (like Multi-Engine Instructor and Instrument Instructor ratings- remember the Instructor Rating system is different in the USA).

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I think it will eventually get to that point, but we're not there yet. Still tons of qualified pilots, just lesser qualified than 5 years ago. Will we ever get to that point in Canada where WAWCON starts going up? Well, I'm not holding my breath. Definitely not hedging anything on it.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

The demand for class 1 or 2 flight instructors will be increasing in the near future, or is already here now, many class 3 instructors are moving on to the airlines or commuted. Companies and not renewing their instructor ratings, when I began my instructor career I was paid $35.00 an hour per flight or ground instruction, the company charged $40.00 to the student, now the co. Charges $60.00 or more and pays the instructor $12.00, an hour, So no wonder instructors want to abandon flight instructor jobs, and move on to high paying jobs, I think that many flight schools will be closing in Canada due to the lack of Class 1 or 2 instructors,which is a requirement by TC for a FTU certificate.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

Panama Jack wrote:That's a bit of a crystal ball question.

However, if events in the USA are any kind of an indication, they are facing an instructor shortage with schools sweetening the pie by offering better compensation packages, signing bonuses, or incentives such as free advanced ratings (like Multi-Engine Instructor and Instrument Instructor ratings- remember the Instructor Rating system is different in the USA).
What are the factors that lead to lack of instructors in the USA? I would have thought due to the 1000-1500 hour requirement (depending on the school you gradded at) everyone would be doing their instructor rating or moving to Alaska.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Commercial pilots in the USA build their time by being tow plane pilots or flying up and down the coast flying banners with beat up aircraft, then move on to Boing 777's, as Captains,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Have you seen a banner plane picking up the banner? first time I saw that I honestly thought it was crashing. Pretty cool actually.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

marakii wrote:Just curious due to movement and hiring of new pilots will present instructors fill the void in the 703 world and the schools losing a bunch of them?

Thanks
Just trying to get back at the Multi-IFR and for what it's worth my instructor got a 703 job the day I showed up to start training. I don't blame him at all.

A quick search of the area seems to a show a real shortage of IFR instructors.

In the last boom cycle I seem to remember stories of people having a hard time finding IFR instructors?

Return to “General Comments”