When to set off a PLB?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

When to set off a PLB?

Post by xchox »

So a couple guys and I were discussing when should you activate a PLB (if you fly with one) should shit hit the fan.

Answers varied from

Immediately, Wait and see, to Don't need one, Let the ELT do it's job.

Just curious what you guys think?
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: When to set off a PLB?

Post by Heliian »

As soon as an emergency is identified that warrants activation of emergency signalling devices.

Do not wait until it's too late.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Heliian wrote:As soon as an emergency is identified that warrants activation of emergency signalling devices.

Do not wait until it's too late.
+1, say something happens to the PLB when you crash. The rescuers will at least have some data to go by and have an educated guess as to where you finally went down. Say something happens to you when you crash and you can't activate the PLB. What was the point of even carrying the thing?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PLBs are designed for hikers and explorers, not for aviators. Since you're using them in an activity that doesn't suit their design features, you're improvising: do whatever you like.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
WhiskeyWhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WhiskeyWhiskey »

If you can verify the ELT is going off, I would hold off until the ELT dies if it takes that long. If at that point no one has come fire off the PLB.

If you feel yourself blacking out or potentially losing consciousness, fire it off immediately.

If you can not verify the ELT is going off, I would set it off immediately.

Thankfully I have never had to use mine, and hopefully never will.

This is a good topic. Interested in seeing peoples responses.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

PLBs are on Friday. (Parking Lot Beers)

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Right away. If you wait you may not be physically able to activate a PLB when you need to. I don't trust the ELT to activate, too many reports of ELTs not activating when they should have.

Glenn

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

If you're not in cell coverage and away from habitation, you may as well.

Once you're overdue on your flight plan or itinerary, RCC will be making lots of phone calls on the very real possibility you simply failed to close your plan.

A PLB activation makes it perfectly clear you need help, if only to get back to civilization.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

If you're not in cell coverage and away from habitation, you may as well.

Once you're overdue on your flight plan or itinerary, RCC will be making lots of phone calls on the very real possibility you simply failed to close your plan.

A PLB activation makes it perfectly clear you need help, if only to get back to civilization.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

photofly wrote: not for aviators.
That's a rather narrow view of their usage. When I registered my PLB it was quite a similar process as registering my ELT. Along with names and contacts, fields included information like aircraft or vessel it is associated with.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The military seems to think PLBs are meant for aviation. I fly with one on every flight.

Going for the deck at corner
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I like the SPOT or similar devices also.

Of course you would not use these instead of a certified ELT but the more things you can get showing the way the better.

Just like if you are on the ground signaling airplanes a mirror is best until sundown then a flare wins. Why not carry both? If I could schedule a pick up I'd do that too.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AuxBatOn wrote:The military seems to think PLBs are meant for aviation. I fly with one on every flight.
So do I.

However the military makes you wear underwear on every flight; that doesn't mean it was designed for flying.
What does the military say about activating your PLB?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Actually, every bit of clothes I wear for flying, from my boxers to my helmet was designed for flight.

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Flight underpants!? Awesome! Do they have airplanes on them? Or are they the ones with the gold sovereigns sewn into the linings?

What do they say about PLBs, btw?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I think it's pretty simple, the minute you know you want help, activate the PLB. Same with an ELT or a tracker.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It isn't that simple.

Firstly ELTs and PLBs are designed to operate while stationary, the Doppler detection won't work while they're in motion.

Secondly, in an airplane you want to say "I don't need help this instant at my present position but I might, when I come to rest, in a few minutes and some distance from where I am now. Unfortunately at the time I may need help I may be unable to activate my PLB". PLBs can't send this message.

That's why I say that PLBs aren't designed for aviation use, so any plan about when to activate one is improvising outside the design parameters of the device.

That this is the case is obvious because the OP needed to ask the question. If PLBs were a good fit for flying he wouldn't have needed to ask when to activate one.

(edited for crimes against the apostrophe)

Last edited by photofly on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

A 406MHz PLB is sending a GPS location to a satellite, the doppler detection is unnecessary. A PLB activated while moving, that someone looks at the track log for and see a line of pings followed by a pile of pings all in one place, does a pretty good job of implying the message you quoted.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think you are engaging in some wishful thinking that the system will perform how you'd like the system to perform. Not all PLBs have GPS, when activated inside an aircraft they may or may not receive a GPS signal, and may not download ephemeris data and perform a cold start for some minutes after activation.

The PLB is designed and engineered to be activated when stationary, upright and with a clear view of the sky. Anything other mode of operation, for better or worse, is improvising.

(edited to remove more apostrophe crime)

Last edited by photofly on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

photofly wrote:Flight underpants!? Awesome! Do they have airplanes on them? Or are they the ones with the gold sovereigns sewn into the linings?

What do they say about PLBs, btw?
100% cotton or nomex.

Auxbaton stated what he needs to. They are required on every flight.
Think outside the box on the question you asked, and who it was asked too. A military aviator goes down... Who do you want to be able find them?

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.

Return to “General Comments”