Restricted Radio Operators Certificate

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Restricted Radio Operators Certificate

Post by matt foley »

Who needs one? I know that "the pilot" has to have one but does that cover anyone else onboard that transmits from the aircraft? i.e. a Flight Nurse needs to talk to company via the VHF or a maintenance guy onboard a test flight etc? Also, are we still required to carry that old piece of paper around or is the fact we have a license enough to indicate we have one as I don't think it ever expires? I've attempted to navigate the TC site for answers but the combination of my age and lack of caffeine (wifes new "healthy" lifestyle) has made me lazy.

Thanks

MF
---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Restricted Radio Operators Certificate

Post by timel »

You need to have your RROC paper with you. I'm pretty sure anyone that wishes to transmit on the radio in the aircraft needs one as well.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You won't find the answer on TC's website as it has nothing to do with TC. The governing department is now called Innovation Science and Economic Development Canada : http://www.ic.gc.ca

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

I got the radio license when I learned to fly in 1984 but never got asked to show it in over 30 years.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

timel wrote:You need to have your RROC paper with you. I'm pretty sure anyone that wishes to transmit on the radio in the aircraft needs one as well.
You don't need it on you. As stated in Industry Canada's regulations, you just need to be able to provide it within 24 hours of an inspector's request, unless something has changed.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Thanks DanWec, I didn't know that!

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

You must have one, but I never heard of anyone being asked to produce one, I keep mine scotched taped inside my pilot licence

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Sec 38 of the RadioCommunications Act. I was wrong, it's 48 hours!
Proof of Radio Authorization

38 The holder of a radio authorization shall, at the request of an inspector appointed pursuant to the Act, show the radio authorization or a copy thereof to the inspector within 48 hours after the request.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I've had to produce mine every time I went for a flight test.I also keep it scotch taped inside my pilot's license.

Daryl

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

The flight crew shall include at least one member who holds a valid licence, issued or rendered valid by the State of Registry, authorizing operation of the type of radio transmitting equipment to be used. (ICAO International Standards and Recommended Practices Annex 6 Part 1 Chapter 9.1.2)

In my opinion your greatest chance of being asked to produce a RROC would be in Europe during a SAFA ramp check.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

How difficult is the exam, is it a written exam or an oral exam?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

It's written and its very very easy. Wrote it before I did any pilot training.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You just need to read through the online study guide, and that's all you need to know. Just memorise the material, and the exam is easy. It's just multiple choice.

hoserjoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hoserjoe »

matt foley wrote:Who needs one?
The RRTO certificate is useless when flying overseas. You'll need the Restricted Radio Telephone licence (not the certificate or endorsement) when applying for a an RTO permit on a foreign pilot licence. The CAA of your new destination country will usually credit your experience if you have a Canadian RTO licence, but not a certificate. You can get a US PPL one the strength of your Canadian papers, including RTO privileges, but it's based on your Canadian licence. Otherwise, you'll need to apply to the FCC for a Restricted RTO licence, no test (they don't seem to care who's using the radio), but you do have to pay money (less than $100 as I recall).

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There's no such thing as a Canadian RRTO certificate. Could you provide a link to the gc.ca pages that explain what a "Restricted Radio Telephone licence" is in Canada and how to get one?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”