Off topic: Military service datapase?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Off topic: Military service datapase?

Post by arctic_slim »

This has nothing to do with aviation but I figure i'd give it a shot.

Is there a database of some sort where I can find out if someone has served in the Canadian military? Something that would say "Yes, this guy served".

I ask because there is a person I know that says he is a veteran and has all kinds of elaborate military service stories. I am starting to think that he is making stuff up and i'm curious to find out if he actually ever served in the military. I assumed all veterans have veteran plates on their car but he doesn't but I assume it's optional.

Anyway, kinda bored and wondering if anyone knows of any place to check.
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Off topic: Military service datapase?

Post by looproll »

I know a lot of veterans that don't have the licence plates. Not everyone likes to advertise it. Stolen Valour is a crime. I don't know of anywhere to check, but you could call him on it and ask to see proof. Every former member should be able to recite their service number in an instant, give you their MOC (MOS ID http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-polici ... ments.page) and the units they served in. If they hesitate, or it sounds like bullshit, it may be. You'd like to take a persons word for it, but now a lot of people are lying about military service. If they were an officer, ask to see their commissioning scroll. Ask to see their certificate of release or statement of service.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Can you send me a PM at ccharlandATcogecoDOTca with a number I can reach you at. I've ferreted out a number of phony wannabes over the years.

Cheers...Chris

rocks25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rocks25 »

can you help fact check hunting and fishing stories too? Could have a real business there.

Moose47 wrote:G'day

Can you send me a PM at ccharlandATcogecoDOTca with a number I can reach you at. I've ferreted out a number of phony wannabes over the years.

Cheers...Chris

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Who cares?

If the guy is annoying you don't talk to him, if you think he's full of chit and care that much (don't know why you would) call him out and tell him to prove it and let the chips fall where they will.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Depending on how long ago he served and what service - there are plenty of us around who can credit/discredit his stories.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Anyone who served be it Reg force or Reserve should be able to produce a certificate of service given to them shortly after their release. Also as mentioned above anyone should be able to rattle off their service number as it is drilled into you in the first week of Basic Military Qualification, I left the primary reserve 8 years ago now and can still recall mine.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CPLMike89 wrote:Anyone who served be it Reg force or Reserve should be able to produce a certificate of service given to them shortly after their release. Also as mentioned above anyone should be able to rattle off their service number as it is drilled into you in the first week of Basic Military Qualification, I left the primary reserve 8 years ago now and can still recall mine.
Should, sure, but what do you have to prove?

My father was in the millitary, he doesn't really talk about it, but if someone asked for his numbers or to see some silly card, well it wouldn't be pretty.

How is that anyone's business, why do you NEED to prove anything??

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

Heh, interesting mixed reactions. It's nothing serious, not like im out to prove anything. I just thought if its easy to find out i can call him out on it if it's not true but I really don't care. Just the way this person talks about being in whatever place and captured in Kosovo or something and all kinds of elaborate stories...they get more elaborate every time he tells them haha. I have no idea if it's even legal to ask this so I don't want to get in trouble.

No big deal, it's not like he is using it to get something out of people. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter at this point. I appreciate the efforts and risks military personnel have taken and have nothing but respect for them.

Thanks for the input guys.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Unfortunately all the liars and cheats out there have made many legitimate people come under scrutiny. When someone thinks you're lying when you legitimately served, you would understandably be upset. But if you're a fraud and you're telling outlandish stories, you need to be called out. It's a crime and a disgrace to make those claims if they aren't true. Also, if you're regaling buddies with crazy stories, don't be angry if they ask you some follow up questions. The fakes need to be exposed for the vermin they are, and you shouldn't be afraid to do that for fear of upsetting a legit ex-CF member.

Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

I have served regular force and twice in reserves...most recently in mid nineties.....I do not have a "VET" vanity plate....I do not recall my service number(s)...nor do I have my commissioning scroll ( ex wife burned it). I do not recall any service cards......
I have memories....that is enough for me. I guess I would have a hard time "proving" a story without digging deep...NO WAIT....I have my logbook with pictures in it!

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

I served in both the reg force and reserves and am retired. I do not have Veterans plates. I do have a record of service card, a commissioning scroll, a retirement certificate and I know my service number. Having said that I would still tell some one that wanted to see proof of my service to piss off.

Edited to add; I do show proof at the airport so I don't have to pay for baggage.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

looproll wrote:Unfortunately all the liars and cheats out there have made many legitimate people come under scrutiny. When someone thinks you're lying when you legitimately served, you would understandably be upset. But if you're a fraud and you're telling outlandish stories, you need to be called out. It's a crime and a disgrace to make those claims if they aren't true. Also, if you're regaling buddies with crazy stories, don't be angry if they ask you some follow up questions. The fakes need to be exposed for the vermin they are, and you shouldn't be afraid to do that for fear of upsetting a legit ex-CF member.
I disagree.

There is no scrutiny, there are just idiots looking for a fight and asking people questions that are non of their damn business.

Here, a guy who probably saw some nasty chit, 70 something years old, and some nit wit kid in the army decided to "call him out"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_Yj7Hb398

Frankly the only lost valor here is the army idiots who called out a vet who probably saw more in one day then that stupid kid or cop saw in their lifetime.

It has been my observation that the folks who need to prove who has and hasn't been to war are the ones who are ether mentally disturbed or never saw a thing and just being in the millitary is the only thing they have to show for their lives.

If someone dressed up like a pilot and walked up to me, told me a few far fetched stories and I thought he was full of chit, I'd ether grab a drink with him providing I found his stories were somewhat entertaining, or I would walk away LIKE AN ADULT.

This "stolen valor" crap is out of hand. If some nut wants to play dress up and pretend to be a special agent double special force lance corporal general with double secrete clearance, it DOES NOT change a thing as to what YOU HAVE DONE for your country, and it doesn't dishonor the memory of you friends one bit, what does dishonor them is you invoking their memories to make a damn fool of yourself over someone playing dress up, or even worse calling out a real vet as a fake.

Worry about your own life.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

Waldo Peppar wrote:I have served regular force and twice in reserves...most recently in mid nineties.....I do not have a "VET" vanity plate....I do not recall my service number(s)...nor do I have my commissioning scroll ( ex wife burned it). I do not recall any service cards......
I have memories....that is enough for me. I guess I would have a hard time "proving" a story without digging deep...NO WAIT....I have my logbook with pictures in it!
+ 1 ..... - minus the reserves - plus the only thing I can remember is my college number because every time I was in a pub/ward (which was often) I got asked for it so that the more senior officers could scam beer off me :(

tonyhunt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tonyhunt »

fruitloops wrote:+ 1 ..... - minus the reserves - plus the only thing I can remember is my college number because every time I was in a pub/ward (which was often) I got asked for it so that the more senior officers could scam beer off me :(
There used to be RCN, RCAF and Regimental Service Numbers. The unified CF switched to using Social Insurance Numbers. Then the use of the SIN for military records was disallowed and everyone was issued new CAF Service Numbers. That's when you knew it was time to go. The only constant was the college number.

So ... what is your college number? :smt077

Tony Hunt
RFC - CYRO
back_course
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by back_course »

I think I actually work in the same company as you, I did two stints in Kosovo (hope I'm not the guy you are talking about !) but it's pretty easy to look through stuff on the Internet I believe only 1 F16 and the Nighthawk were ever taken down in the air phase I believe both pilots were rescued. I know of no ground troops ever taken prisoner in Kosovo. This was different however in the 90s with Bosnia. There's certainly a gazette for commissioning where I came
from, I assume it's the same here, if he/she was a officer you can just ask what year they commissioned and look their name up.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

This "stolen valor" crap is out of hand.

Oh really, and how is that?

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Yeah it is out of hand, because too many idiots are going to surplus stores and buying uniforms and medals so they can parade around and play pretend. Too many assholes are getting away with it. Enough is enough. Whether you tell elaborate lies, or dress up and talk to a reporter on Remembrance Day, it's wrong.

The federal government takes it a lot more seriously than you, supercharged: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015 ... today.html

It is not a victimless crime. It is a discredit to current and former CF members and a criminal code offence.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

If some mentally ill person playing dress up discredits your millitary service, it's not saying much for your millitary service.

Personally I think it's sad, I mean I've seen quite a few videos of stolen valor, and also met a few folks I'd wager are exaggerating, and most of the people doing it are ether not right in the head or just very sad folks with very sad lives, they aren't really fooling anyone as it's obvious to even non millitary people after these "vets" say few sentences that something isn't right.

But attacking folks, or trying to make crazy laws over people playing some sick game of pretend, it's too far. These people aren't hurting anyone, they aren't trying to sneak into a millitary base, or steal a fighter jet, sorry it's just not that big of a crime, actually it's not really even a crime as far as I'm concerned, what it is, is a huge red flag that someone needs to see a shrink.

Return to “General Comments”