FAA ATPL Conversion new regs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

FAA ATPL Conversion new regs

Post by cv990 »

Just curious, with the new regs now in place, has anyone actually gone and done their ATPL conversion under the new rules yet (convert TC ATPL to FAA)? If so, what was the experience like, and how long did it take?
Has anyone tried to write the new ACM exam yet under the new rules?
---------- ADS -----------

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: FAA ATPL Conversion new regs

Post by Chaxterium »

My colleague did it in December. He completed the sim, wrote the exam, passed his checkride and was issued a temp ATP. Three months later when the FAA reviewed his file they told him he wrote the wrong conversion exam. He now has to go back and re-write the correct exam.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

What a humiliating process. Been a Captain for many years flying Canadian aircraft in your country 90% of the time. I want to convert to your FAA ATPL I have to receive sim instruction for your stupid ATPL course. What a joke. I can't believe we just roll over and take it.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

how much does the "new" conversion cost?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Please explain to me how you've "rolled over and taken it?"

YOU are Canadain.
YOU are flying under TC regulation.

If YOU are tasked by either company, or personal desire to fly under FAA certificates, then YOU must do what is mandated by the governing body, the FAA.

I can't just hop in an Air Canada's Airbus and say, "I got this." I need to follow what is set out by TC.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I think razorblade is referring to the fact that the FAA to TC conversion is much easier than the TC to FAA conversion. Disproportionately so.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

All is entirely fair: converting a TC ATPL to an FAA ATPL has the same requirements as getting an FAA ATPL from scratch, including the certificate from passing the ATP-CTP course.

There's no reason why converting should be equally easy in both directions when the FAA licence is much harder to get de-novo than the Canadian one.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hoserjoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hoserjoe »

[quote="photofly"There's no reason why converting should be equally easy in both directions when the FAA licence is much harder to get de-novo than the Canadian one.[/quote]

The really hard part is passing the FAA "good moral character" requirement (FAR 61.153)! In Canada, any common criminal can get an ATPL.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

we're all screwed then.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Gards
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Gards »

I just completed the conversion today. Was fairly straight forward albeit the ATP CTP course was a massive disappointment for having to drop 5K on the course.

This is what I did and I am sure others have their opinions on how best to do it:

1. You have to verify your TC license with the FAA in Oklahoma. The instructions for what you need to do are listed in the FAA AC61-135A (just google it). This took a few weeks before I got a response from the FAA.

2. Once you have the verification (although not mandatory too book your ATP CTP course) book the ATP CTP course at one of the approved organizations. I chose Pan Am International Flight Academy in Miami, but there are a handful of others (they were all charging 5K USD when I did the research a couple months ago).

3. You need to register through https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov to get your TSA fingerprint process moving along so you can get in the sim. You have to specify which school you will be training at as the approval is only good for each training event you apply for. Once you have your fingerprints on record apparently the process is easier the next time.

4. Go through the course which is 30 hours of ground school and 10 hours of sim (4 FTD and 6 FFS). You need to complete the ATP CTP before you can write the ATP Knowledge Test.

5. Write the knowledge test that is specific to the Canadian Conversion (I believe the code is ACM now and not ACP which is listed in the AC). You need the original test result report to apply for your temp airman's certificate.

6. Make sure you have at least a 3rd class medical but you should really just do the 1st class medical if your doing a medical anyway. Lots of places around the MIA airport to choose from and was in and out in about 30 mins, easy as pie.

7. So once the ATP CTP and knowledge test is completed you then arrange an appointment with a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner). I used this gentleman Tom who was real easy to deal with:

INGLIMA, THOMAS C.
2010 NW 114th Avenue
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33026
Phone: (954) 435-3737 / (954) 857-3737
Email: inglimat@bellsouth.net

8. He issues your temp airman's certificate along with all your type ratings without having to do a check ride like every other country.

All of the above is in the circular AC61-135A and calls to the FAA in Oklahoma were pleasant in that all my questions were answered.

Other then having to swallow the fact you have to end up spending 5000 USD on a course for 10 hours of sim (both PF/PM) it was pretty easy.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

^ ^ one of the most helpful posts on AvCanada I've read in a very long time. Thanks for taking the time to so clearly lay out the process for other readers! :prayer:

Only thing that I'll add is that IF, and it's a big IF, you are eligible to work in the US and will be applying to one of the regionals, most, if not all, will pay for you to go to the ATP CTP course - a few even have approved in house courses. Keep in mind being eligible means having a Green Card or appropriate Visa. Despite the shortage, US regionals are not sponsoring pilots for immigration purposes.

The salaries have increased really substantially in the last couple of years with up to $50,000 US for 1st year FOs.

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

If you want to go south, be less than 45 or forget about it, Americans are extremely ageists and if you're over fifty, they(the management) keep trying to sack you and you cannot sue and win...going the other way, after three years in the US, your canadian IFR ticket is gone, you have to start from scratch...On the other hand, if you are in good shape, they'll hire you in Canada...Remember that some 35 years olds are in worse shape than some 80 years old...Would you hire a pot head of ANY AGE?

BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

SheriffPatGarrett wrote:Would you hire a pot head of ANY AGE?
I would before I'd hire a drunk.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

SheriffPatGarrett wrote:... after three years in the US, your canadian IFR ticket is gone, you have to start from scratch...
Not that anybody will read it but we really do need a sticky on this.

Glenn

buzzjob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buzzjob »

C-GKNT wrote:
SheriffPatGarrett wrote:... after three years in the US, your canadian IFR ticket is gone, you have to start from scratch...

Glenn
Actually the Canadian IFR (just like the FAA) does not expire therefore never requires a rewrite. An Instrument Procedure Check is all that is required to revalidate the IFR. Get hired by Canadian company, do a ppc and all is good.

Teamflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teamflyer »

At the end of the ATP-CTP course, is a check ride required for the Canadian ATPL conversion?

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

buzzjob wrote:
C-GKNT wrote:

Glenn
Actually the Canadian IFR (just like the FAA) does not expire therefore never requires a rewrite. An Instrument Procedure Check is all that is required to revalidate the IFR. Get hired by Canadian company, do a ppc and all is good.
Times have changed. Canadian Instrument Rating never expires. Doing foreign instrument proficiency checks is an acceptable means to maintain the your IFR currency in Canada. If you decide to return to fly in Canada, you need to do a Proficiency Check anyhow at your new employer; they woud just say at the interview "you operate to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow; report time at 7am".

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Gards wrote: Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 pm I just completed the conversion today. Was fairly straight forward albeit the ATP CTP course was a massive disappointment for having to drop 5K on the course.

This is what I did and I am sure others have their opinions on how best to do it:

1. You have to verify your TC license with the FAA in Oklahoma. The instructions for what you need to do are listed in the FAA AC61-135A (just google it). This took a few weeks before I got a response from the FAA.

2. Once you have the verification (although not mandatory too book your ATP CTP course) book the ATP CTP course at one of the approved organizations. I chose Pan Am International Flight Academy in Miami, but there are a handful of others (they were all charging 5K USD when I did the research a couple months ago).

3. You need to register through https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov to get your TSA fingerprint process moving along so you can get in the sim. You have to specify which school you will be training at as the approval is only good for each training event you apply for. Once you have your fingerprints on record apparently the process is easier the next time.

4. Go through the course which is 30 hours of ground school and 10 hours of sim (4 FTD and 6 FFS). You need to complete the ATP CTP before you can write the ATP Knowledge Test.

5. Write the knowledge test that is specific to the Canadian Conversion (I believe the code is ACM now and not ACP which is listed in the AC). You need the original test result report to apply for your temp airman's certificate.

6. Make sure you have at least a 3rd class medical but you should really just do the 1st class medical if your doing a medical anyway. Lots of places around the MIA airport to choose from and was in and out in about 30 mins, easy as pie.

7. So once the ATP CTP and knowledge test is completed you then arrange an appointment with a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner). I used this gentleman Tom who was real easy to deal with:

INGLIMA, THOMAS C.
2010 NW 114th Avenue
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33026
Phone: (954) 435-3737 / (954) 857-3737
Email: inglimat@bellsouth.net

8. He issues your temp airman's certificate along with all your type ratings without having to do a check ride like every other country.

All of the above is in the circular AC61-135A and calls to the FAA in Oklahoma were pleasant in that all my questions were answered.

Other then having to swallow the fact you have to end up spending 5000 USD on a course for 10 hours of sim (both PF/PM) it was pretty easy.

Any questions feel free to PM me.
Hello!
I know it's been a while since that post, but I was wondering: after you do the ATP/CTP course and you write the exam, what do you do?
The poster above says you then arrange an appointment with a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE), who will issue a temporary licence. My school says that after the written test I should go to an FAA office to get my licence (not sure if they will be open with the shutdown...)
Which is the correct, fastest and cheapest way to get the licence?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Depends on the region. In Montana where I did my (Commercial) conversion, you can go to the FSDO (not open right now, government shutdown). Others like Rochester, you need to use a DPE.

Make sure you have an appointment.

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Very good thank you!

Return to “General Comments”