Newbie Glasses suggestions/questions

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

chapfo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Newbie Glasses suggestions/questions

Post by chapfo »

I just found out I needed glasses for my Cat 1.
I didnt expect this as I had the Cat 1 for like 10 years. And I didnt have to squint or go very close during a daily basis (other than optometrist saying I should get glasses for driving at night). Basically I can do everything normally without glasses. Owell. It is what it is.

Other than the initial costs for the two pairs ($425-500) and loss of convenience of having to carry around the extra pair (technically two pairs, but I use sunglasses anyways), what other downsides are there regarding wearing glasses as a pilot?
I plan to get QT Halo headset even before this news since sunglasses plus the clamping from my PNR gives me a headache so headaches or costs of new headset is just a minor downside.

Obviously the second pair will be a relatively cheap pair (simple prescription lens and inexpensive frames). No transitions or sunglasses clip-on/easy clip, no polarized, no anti-glare. As inexpensive as possible.
My question would be regarding the primary pair. What are the pros and cons of transitions vs easy clip? I asked the lady (sales person not optometrist) at Costco. The transitions are around $20-40 cheaper than easy-clips (the magnetic clip-on that snap onto the frame). But she said the transitions dont activate in the car since the windshield blocks UV rays and transitions are activated by UV. Would transitions work in the plane? I'm going the instructor route so mostly Cessnas and Pipers.

How much does the shape of the lens/frames affect visual awareness? Like the rectangular lens would have a smaller corrected field of vision than the aviator or circular type. Is that a significant issue?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Newbie Glasses suggestions/questions

Post by awitzke »

I wear glasses and contacts. Depends on the day, if there is a big hold in the middle and I'm likely going to take a nap I'll wear my glasses. I am looking into prescrip sunnies too. Contacts are great if you find a nice fitting pair, can't even tell I have them in. I have a Zulu2 and glasses don't really make a difference. I have plastic framed RayBans which aren't that thin on the arm but haven't noticed much of a change. I too keep a spare set in my flight bag.

Look into clearly.ca I buy my glasses on there usually. Much cheaper and if you have a pretty basic prescrip then you can find some nice pairs for cheap. They have money back guarantee too if the fit isn't that great. If you can find out what you bridge, eye to eye and arm measurements are you can find all the info on the site for each pair and match up a frame.

Every new pair takes a few days to get used to. My current pair I bought about a year ago and acutally hated them at the time and never wore them. My daily pair broke and I was forced to use them, after a week it was like the old pair. FOV is fine, I like fairly larger lenses, rectangular that cover most of the panel vs. a really thin in height lens. Shape of the lens shouldn't matter it's mostly cosmetic they will build the lens to fit your eye and pupil distance.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”