Okotoks Airport Closing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

cpknight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Okotoks Airport Closing

Post by cpknight »

Received an email today about the "stakeholder engagement". Meeting on May 25th at the hangar at 6.30pm. More updated information is on the airport website:

http://cfx2.ca/airport-stakeholders/

http://cfx2.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/ ... y-2016.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

Did you get an email to notify you of this meeting after you registered? Conveniently, I did not. If you did receive an email, could you share it with me? matt@blueconcalgary.ca. Thx

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

What a shame to see this close. In the end if you build a few hundred houses, in close prox to an airport, the odds of them all wanting to live in the same space as an airport, or pay to help support one are low. i do recall all the free press in the globe etc they got in 90's and folks putting the articles on my desk to read.
That new street right off the end of the runway would seem to be poor planning on about 4 levels , if there was any real intention of keeping the place open.

cpknight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cpknight »

anofly wrote:What a shame to see this close.
I'm still not exactly sure what my thoughts on this whole thing are.

In general I think retaining the facility is feasible if there's strong grassroots support from the GA community, local residents and the Town itself. The neighbours' and Town's expectations were that this aerodrome would be there and part of the community, and if that is voiced, then redeveloping the land to build houses could be blocked - the Town won't issue the necessary permits for a change in land use, etc., etc. if the opposition is there. Even with the lever of the TC-aided "closure", getting this facility managed and operated to certified standards wouldn't be insurmountable in my view. Many smaller communities do more with less, even where certified aerodromes are required.

But I get the impression that all these groups (GA community, local residents, the Town) are largely indifferent. So in that case, I tend to think the profit motive in building houses and closing the aerodrome is pretty attractive, and who am I to argue with someone who wants to make some good $$? I'd probably do the same. Especially after losing my shirt trying to make the whole "air ranch" concept work in Canada. It is a pretty strange concept for us Canucks, after all. It was a really good try, but didn't work out. So why not develop the land into something that will guaranteed raise more revenue for the developer and the Town writ large?

Overall it does pain me to see such a nice facility closed. If there was grassroots support from the GA community, local residents and the Town, I'd be more than happy to pitch in and help do my part to make a go of CFX2. But if there isn't really that support, maybe it's best if C172s aren't doing circuits over a populated corner of suburbia. Perhaps instead the best thing to come out of a closure of CFX2 could be some support for opening a similar facility in the area - perhaps some $$ to acquire/build out CEH4 (which I think is a perfect site and location, but I believe is held by a development land bank at present) as an alternative? I'd be in for pitching in to help with such an effort as well.

So I have to say I'm overall of mixed minds on this one. For me, who lives in the centre of Calgary, and who wants to be able to drive a reasonable amount of time to a reasonably-priced hangar to support my pretty basic GA activities, Springbank and Okotoks were my best bets. (Airdrie, maybe, too - but I'm not sure about any recent momentum behind it?). Springbank is pretty expensive for hangar space at present (lots of potentially available land, but maybe an incentive at present to keep demand high and supply low, with prices staying up the curve?). High River is an otherwise perfect facility, but in the result a BIT too far for me, as are some of the others scattered about. So while I liked the idea of Okotoks as an option open to me (and I've said so before, too, I think), I'm really just unsure what to think about this one.

Return to “General Comments”