Medical Cat 1 Validity Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

zachary133
Rank 0
Rank 0

Medical Cat 1 Validity Question

Post by zachary133 »

Hello all, I am working towards my PPL and hold a Cat 1 medical where the medical exam date is 2013/12/19. I realize that since I am under 40, my medical is valid for 60 months. My question is that do I still hold a category 1 medical if I don't hold any licences yet. I know that you need to get a cat 1 medical renewed by the first day of the 13th month after the exam date, but does that only apply to CPL and higher? Basically what I am asking is do I hold a cat 1 or a cat 3 medical?
---------- ADS -----------

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Medical Cat 1 Validity Question

Post by Scuderia »

Relevant regulation is CAR 404.04 http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... l#s-404.04.

Your Category 1 medical is always a Category 1 medical. It doesn't change to a Category 3. It allows you to exercise the privileges of a CPL/MPL/ATPL for months 1-12 (months 1-6 if you were over 40) and the privileges of a PPL for months 13-60 (months 6-24 if you were over 40).

The practice of saying the Category 1 changes into a Category 3 after 12 (or 6) months is false but useful for understanding how it functions.

Moreover, a CPL doesn't change to a PPL 12 (or 6) months after a Category 1 medical examination date. The privileges one can exercise change but not the license.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”