Buying airplane in Quebec

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Buying airplane in Quebec

Post by Bede »

Years ago I met a guy who buys/sells airplanes for a living. I picked his brain for a bit. One of the things he said was, "never buy an airplane from Quebec."

Fast forward to today. I want to buy a Pacer from a guy in Quebec. Ad doesn't have much information. No TT, SMOH, model year. I email the guy for some basic info such as that and whether AD's are done, compressions at annual, the usual. The response I get is that he's really busy and this is a great deal and he's happy to answer my questions once I show up money in hand.

WTF?

Has anyone else had such a strange experience?
---------- ADS -----------

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Buying airplane in Quebec

Post by gwagen »

Never buy a plane from Quebec is right on.

As for the details of the deal, I'm facing a very similar situation at the moment.

Pain in the rear.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

From my Quebec car buying experience run away. I was very thorough in asking questions, everything was supposed to be good to go when I got there...It's amazing what you can hide in pictures. I offered the guy half of the original price and he took it after I started to leave to head back to the bus station! He knew he was trying to screw me. I should have still taken the bus back home.

If the guy can't be bothered to even answer basic information, I wouldn't waste my time.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Very normal for that part of the world. Keep in mind houses are relatively cheap there and they have less consumer debt than all other provinces except Manitoba, way less than the average. They don't like dealing in English and figure sooner or later someone French will want to buy it. Not very motivated sellers.

If you need to put yourself in the other person's shoes, just imagine you're an ignorant Alabama redneck with a big chip on your shoulder and some guy with a heavy French accent calls you and wants to ask you a million questions about the old car you forgot has been sitting in the back forty for ten years.

zealer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zealer »

Yes dealing with Quebec sellers is a different animal. Telling someone to never buy from Quebec, IMO, is a pretty dumb thing to say. a good plane is a good plane, regardless if it's in Quebec, bc, Ontario etc. Dishonest sellers are everywhere, not just Quebec. So for those who've already had a bad experience in Quebec, that is unfortunate, but by no means is it the norm.

Anyways, as mentioned, most quebecers only speak French. Most outside of Montreal aren't big on Internet, thus you get the 2 line ads. Most of the old boys hate email. Calling is best. Do you speak French?

If you're really interested in the plane, you could always contact a bilingual broker and have them get you the info and facilitate the possible sale. Pay them a consulting fee and that's it. Where did you find the ad, on LesPAC or Kijiji?

Bede, where are you from? I live in Quebec, speak both languages. I buy all my stuff here. Maybe I can help.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Thanks for the tips and offer Zealer.

The guy's English is as good as mine so I don't think that's the issue. I inquired about this plane six weeks ago but it was sold. The guy who bought it then is now reselling it. My guess is there is something wrong with it and he's trying to unload as fast as possible without disclosing too much information.

zealer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zealer »

Ah I see. I know which plane you are talking about now. Don't know anything specifically about it but I do recall it being posted back then too. Didn't realize an ownership change had occurred in the meantime.

Could be hiding something, perhaps realized he doesn't like it, ran out of money etc. If you're still interested, you should pursue it further! Might be able to get a really good deal depending on the situation. Anyway anyone who does a thorough pre-buy will certainly find the problem, if there indeed is one. Did you ask why he's selling?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

It's on Barnstormers in the PA20 section. About half way down. It's the only one from Quebec listed.

I asked the guy why he's selling in my list of questions and the best I got was "at that price it's a great deal. I don't have time for questions". Something like that.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I had lots of fun buying a plane from Florida. Only thing you can do is trust but verify. Regardless of what seller says you need to check carefully!

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

Bede wrote:It's on Barnstormers in the PA20 section. About half way down. It's the only one from Quebec listed.

I asked the guy why he's selling in my list of questions and the best I got was "at that price it's a great deal. I don't have time for questions". Something like that.
If a guy can't answer questions. I'd put on my best running shoes. Transparency is the only option when selling/buying an airplane.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Bede wrote:It's on Barnstormers in the PA20 section. About half way down. It's the only one from Quebec listed.

The guy is looking for serious buyers, it's a shame he's not a serious seller.

Of course it says right there in his ad "BEST DEAL EVER!" and "ready to go" I don't really see why you need to know more than that! :smt040

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

What I_Drive_Planes said.

Based on the tone of the ad and the response you got to your questions, Bede, I would hardly drive across town to look at that airplane.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

But ... What if it's the best deal ever?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

This sounds like to old game of "Liar's Dice"... (;>0)

Return to “General Comments”