Air Nunavut/SmoothAir Charter Posting

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Air Nunavut/SmoothAir Charter Posting

Post by iflyroads »

This position would be based out of our Oshawa Airport (CYOO) location. A 3 year up-front Training Bond would apply.
OUCH. Wonder what the upfront amount is for a Falcon 20? A friend of mine received an offer for a King Air 200 with them, it was $9500 upfront..and you had to live in Iqaluit making 30k a year.

Is this the new industry norm now? Brutal!
---------- ADS -----------

lucien_kane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Nunavut/SmoothAir Charter Posting

Post by lucien_kane »

can you send me the link to this job posting?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

'Candidates must be willing to relocate or be within 30 minutes from CYOO'

Wonder what their actual callout times are if they ask that you live within 30 minutes.

At least the 'shwa is East of the bad traffic, lots of 'cheaper' housing options in that direction, that would be within 30 minutes of the airport.

Bond up front and 3 years though, and then also asking for time on type (preferred).

:rolleyes:

To each their own I guess

S.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The training captain experience preferred for an FO position is a bit interesting too...

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

This is one the worst operators in southern Ontario!! not only do I say to run away as fast you can for your own sake but it would be awesome if he can't even fill the position, some of his own employees have refused to get typed on it because of his ridiculous demands. You would have absolutely no life and be on call 24/7 with an hour call out. Oh and the day there was no flight booked well guess what?! That was your day off!! Hope you enjoyed being within an hour the airport waiting for a call that never came! Not only is the CP not safe but he also treats his employees the worst I have ever seen personally! I wouldn't ask for a job from this pace even if I was jobless.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Blueontop wrote:This is one the worst operators in southern Ontario!! not only do I say to run away as fast you can for your own sake but it would be awesome if he can't even fill the position, some of his own employees have refused to get typed on it because of his ridiculous demands. You would have absolutely no life and be on call 24/7 with an hour call out. Oh and the day there was no flight booked well guess what?! That was your day off!! Hope you enjoyed being within an hour the airport waiting for a call that never came! Not only is the CP not safe but he also treats his employees the worst I have ever seen personally! I wouldn't ask for a job from this pace even if I was jobless.
Thanks for your post. We need more like them so long as the assessments contained inside them can be justified.

The ad alone says this is a shite company.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Somewhat off topic, but I've been looking at their Fleet link on their website.

Have I missed something or is there no terlet on those Falcons with the 1800 mile range?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Dandy77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dandy77 »

This is the worst job offer I saw in a long time. 3 year training bond...lmao.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

years back 10+ was offered a ka200 capt position there. Basically 12k with move and bond, and if they liked me they'd give me a job. I countered with money in escrow, if i left they got it. they passed, i'm happy they did

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

I honestly don't know where some pilots can come up with this kind of money on hand. A lot of banks are willing to give you a loan at the right interest rate.... At least Air Nunavut pays back the bond with interest (second hand information) unlike some other companies that just pay the principle. But that's besides the point.

Ah well, I wonder how many nibbles they will get on their ad.

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

That place is the land of the desperate. Low time people with a basic IFR and no ATPL seem to go there to get those requirements. That describes a few people I know who have gone there. They all had 13-1600h TT 3-400 mpic vfr maybe 50h simulated IFR and no instructor rating. One of them even said "the ends justify the means". He now flys a 705 jet. Companies don't seem to care where you got your time just that you have it and you don't come across as a dick.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Tanker299 wrote:Companies don't seem to care where you got your time just that you have it and you don't come across as a dick.

Well........ya. Why would they care where you got your time?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

iflyroads wrote: OUCH. Wonder what the upfront amount is for a Falcon 20? A friend of mine received an offer for a King Air 200 with them, it was $9500 upfront..and you had to live in Iqaluit making 30k a year.

If the training is on wing I can't even imagine the cost, if it's in sim, it should be the exact same cost as a 200 no?

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

They gearing up to make a run at the GN medevac contract?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

co-joe wrote:
iflyroads wrote: OUCH. Wonder what the upfront amount is for a Falcon 20? A friend of mine received an offer for a King Air 200 with them, it was $9500 upfront..and you had to live in Iqaluit making 30k a year.

If the training is on wing I can't even imagine the cost, if it's in sim, it should be the exact same cost as a 200 no?

Really just depends on where they use the sim.. A lot of places charge a hefty fee for sim instructors and that price varies from aircraft to aircraft

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

iflyroads wrote: At least Air Nunavut pays back the bond with interest (second hand information) unlike some other companies that just pay the principle. But that's besides the point.
I'm not an expert on training bonds because I've never had one. When it was demanded, I refused.

Anyway, you'd think there'd be a legal requirement to pay interest. I know there is with a housing damage deposit. A training bond isn't their money to use while you're employed there.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

MrWings wrote:
iflyroads wrote: At least Air Nunavut pays back the bond with interest (second hand information) unlike some other companies that just pay the principle. But that's besides the point.
I'm not an expert on training bonds because I've never had one. When it was demanded, I refused.

Anyway, you'd think there'd be a legal requirement to pay interest. I know there is with a housing damage deposit. A training bond isn't their money to use while you're employed there.
I know of at least 2 companies that don't pay it back with interest. One of them an Air Canada Express partner. Not sure about the legality if it but they havent had an issue filling a ground school yet.

WeatherMaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WeatherMaster »

has anyone heard if this position has been filled yet?

Return to “General Comments”