The Worlds 7 Largest Aircraft Hangars

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

baileyrory
Rank 0
Rank 0

The Worlds 7 Largest Aircraft Hangars

Post by baileyrory »

I ran across this page about the Worlds 7 Largest Aircraft Hangars the other day and thought it was interesting. Granted, most of the biggest hangars were for airships (blimps) but the hangar for the Spruce Goose is listed there too.
---------- ADS -----------

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The Worlds 7 Largest Aircraft Hangars

Post by Broken Slinky »

Been to the Boeing factory. That place is ridiculously large. I forget the states exactly but we spent a good 8 hours in there and guaranteed we missed stuff.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

I visited the Spruce Goose Dome in Long Beach in the late 1980s, before the Spruce Goose itself was moved to Oregon. The guided tour took us around the perimeter of the hangar, where we got a chance to view historical artifacts, films, and lots of background information on the airplane. Then they walked us inside the hangar, in pitch darkness - and concurrently flicked on numerous banks of floodlights to reveal this gorgeous, pristine white aircraft sitting, larger than life. Very dramatic.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:I visited the Spruce Goose Dome in Long Beach in the late 1980s, before the Spruce Goose itself was moved to Oregon. The guided tour took us around the perimeter of the hangar, where we got a chance to view historical artifacts, films, and lots of background information on the airplane. Then they walked us inside the hangar, in pitch darkness - and concurrently flicked on numerous banks of floodlights to reveal this gorgeous, pristine white aircraft sitting, larger than life. Very dramatic.
That sounds WAY cooler than when I was there to board a Carnival Cruise to Mexico...

baileyrory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by baileyrory »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:I visited the Spruce Goose Dome in Long Beach in the late 1980s, before the Spruce Goose itself was moved to Oregon. The guided tour took us around the perimeter of the hangar, where we got a chance to view historical artifacts, films, and lots of background information on the airplane. Then they walked us inside the hangar, in pitch darkness - and concurrently flicked on numerous banks of floodlights to reveal this gorgeous, pristine white aircraft sitting, larger than life. Very dramatic.
Very cool!

baileyrory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by baileyrory »

Broken Slinky wrote:Been to the Boeing factory. That place is ridiculously large. I forget the states exactly but we spent a good 8 hours in there and guaranteed we missed stuff.
8 hours? How did you manage that? I think the standard tour is 90 minutes long.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That's pretty impressive.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Been to the old blimp factory south of Berlin. Walk inside and you have now entered a Caribbean resort including heat and humidity.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

baileyrory wrote:
Broken Slinky wrote:Been to the Boeing factory. That place is ridiculously large. I forget the states exactly but we spent a good 8 hours in there and guaranteed we missed stuff.
8 hours? How did you manage that? I think the standard tour is 90 minutes long.
Because we were not subjected to the tour the lowly peasants are restricted to. A friend of the family was working there and we spent the day with somewhat open access.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

baileyrory wrote: but the hangar for the Spruce Goose is listed there too.
YYZSaabGuy wrote:I visited the Spruce Goose Dome in Long Beach in the late 1980s

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

Return to “General Comments”