2 Air Transat pilots charged with being impaired

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: 2 Air Transat pilots charged with being impaired

Post by atphat »

Exactly. I feel bad for these guys. Blow over the limit.....expect to get flamed.
---------- ADS -----------

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Guilty by hearsay and medias, that is the world we live in.

Hopefully pelmet and atphat won't be involved one day into an infortunate incident. It would be sad to see their names and family reputations dragged down all over social medias.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

"Infortunate" (sic) means they had some bad luck. Like the Dewar's seagull flew over them on the way to the airport that morning as they were talking and shat pure scotch (OK blended scotch) into their mouths and it was just terrible luck all around.

Don't misinterpret my motivation for pointing this out- I feel bad for these guys. I actually think it's probably perfectly safe to fly when you're just a little drunk. I'm merely pointing out what "infortunate" (sic) means, and that another word might have been better. I agree- these fellows are entitled to a fair trial, it's not up to us to convict them based on what we've read in the news. It kind of sounds to me like Glasgow might be a place where you might want to have water with dinner and go straight to your room afterwards- certainly not my idea of a fun layover.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

They didn't spend a week or so in jail because they blew under. They didn't get charged because they were found not to be intoxicated under the law. Grow up. They aren't getting charged in North Korea.
The authorities found enough evidence to lay charges. Again. I feel bad for these guys. But get caught pulling this move.....expect to get flamed.

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Meatservo wrote:"Infortunate" (sic) means they had some bad luck. Like the Dewar's seagull flew over them on the way to the airport that morning as they were talking and shat pure scotch (OK blended scotch) into their mouths and it was just terrible luck all around.

Don't misinterpret my motivation for pointing this out- I feel bad for these guys. I actually think it's probably perfectly safe to fly when you're just a little drunk. I'm merely pointing out what "infortunate" (sic) means, and that another word might have been better. I agree- these fellows are entitled to a fair trial, it's not up to us to convict them based on what we've read in the news. It kind of sounds to me like Glasgow might be a place where you might want to have water with dinner and go straight to your room afterwards- certainly not my idea of a fun layover.
I have been following this story from the start and everyday newspapers come with a different story.

Outside of aviation I witnessed the impact journalist can have and it is not always so righteous, so I am allowing myself a little restraint.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Fair enough. I guess that is the moral high ground for sure.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Someone on PPrune is claiming that they were fired....

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5817 ... ost9485103
Completely false.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Meatservo wrote:It kind of sounds to me like Glasgow might be a place where you might want to have water with dinner and go straight to your room afterwards- certainly not my idea of a fun layover.
Why. Are you incapable of having fun without alcohol? Ever thought of touring the the town and visiting places?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'll dive into a scotchfest with you any day Meat, at the risk of missing rousing times at the Stationary Museum, or being regaled by a tour guide waxing poetic about the world's wettest rock.

We can laugh and toast as we bask in the sanctimonious condemnation of those on soap boxes who sound a little like walking fanny packs.

Sláinte!

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

pelmet wrote:
Meatservo wrote:It kind of sounds to me like Glasgow might be a place where you might want to have water with dinner and go straight to your room afterwards- certainly not my idea of a fun layover.
Why. Are you incapable of having fun without alcohol? Ever thought of touring the the town and visiting places?
Agreed. While I encourage fun while on work duties, nobody, while on a work trip, should prioritize fun at the expense of work. If it means you don't drink on a layover, so be it. Your company doesn't pay you to drink on a layover: they pay you to operate an aircraft.

In Air Transat's case, even if they were not drunk at the gate, their behaviour triggered people to be concerned or at the very least to question the professionalism of the crew and by extension, Air Transat.

Going for the deck at corner
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

A few years ago when I confronted a staff member about having been seen in a bar drinking "adult beverages" the night before, his reply indicated a "has no clue" about the concept of propriety and responsibility .... his seriously supplied answer was ..... "Whats the big deal, I wasn't drunk."

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

pelmet wrote:
Oh honestly, Pelmet, that entire post you've quoted a part of was meant to be sarcastic. Will you not read it again, and see if you are able to pick up on the snarky, sarcastic tone ("Dewar's seagull"? I mean honestly.) Or am I losing my edge? You and AuxBatOn are usually pretty dialled-in, but this time you are both being a little pedantic. Anyway, I'm from Glasgow. Can't you tell by my accent?

Also, the museum IS pretty good Dan, don't write it off just because it sounds dull. It's not!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Meatservo wrote:
pelmet wrote:
Oh honestly, Pelmet, that entire post you've quoted a part of was meant to be sarcastic.

Also, the museum IS pretty good Dan, don't write it off just because it sounds dull. It's not!
Well gee, I guess I was being sarcastic as well. See you at the stationary museum....or another station to bail out Dan.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I wish you guys would stop making fun of the Stationary Museum. My Uncle works there. It's a lot more fun than it sounds. So is the Calvinist centre for Parsimony.

http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/c ... cid=533740

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Was he the bloke who gave the riveting albiet idiosyncratic seminar on paper cuts during the revered Foolscap exhibit of '96? Legendary. If there was ever a "Where were you when" moment....

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Pilots are cleared, after key evidence was destroyed..
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-43907466

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

North Shore wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am Pilots are cleared, after key evidence was destroyed..
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-43907466
Show of hands....who is excited to ride in the back of a plane with these guys again????? Anyone?????

Glad to see that Scotland's legal system is as much a circus as Canada's.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

To be fair did you actually see how much alcohol they had in their systems? Although I would agree that a BAC of zero is the only thing a pilot should have these guys were not showing up for work drunk. They both were under 0.05 which wouldn't even give a 24 hour license suspension here for driving a car.

Again they shouldn't have had anything in their system but I bet a lot of people that shut it down before the 8-12 hours (Transport to company policies) will have a trace in their system the next day.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

"They were also accused of acting in a threatening manner and fighting at the Hilton Hotel in the city on the same day."

Not really impressed with Transat on this, and I'm sure most people aren't. I guess they're happy to let this dent their reputation rather than risk an unfair dismissal lawsuit. Which do you think will cost more? Or maybe everyone will forget about this after a while.

Laser Tilt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laser Tilt »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 am "They were also accused of acting in a threatening manner and fighting at the Hilton Hotel in the city on the same day."

Not really impressed with Transat on this, and I'm sure most people aren't. I guess they're happy to let this dent their reputation rather than risk an unfair dismissal lawsuit. Which do you think will cost more? Or maybe everyone will forget about this after a while.
In Ontario (and probably rest of Canada) you can fire anyone for any reason....as long as you are willing to pay out. I am amazed Air Transat would not fire them and then pay out 1 month for every year worked with min of 3 months. They could be more generous if they really want this to go away. This is almost impossible to challenge in court unlike dismissal with cause which is very hard to prove.

Return to “General Comments”