Best Carry-On Luggage ?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Best Carry-On Luggage ?

Post by PAJ »

I while ago I saw a thread about the best carry-on rollerboard/luggage. I have tried in vain to search for it.

Failing that, any suggestions? Most better quality bags are OK but I seem to quickly wear out the wheels which causes me to struggle when rolling it. I know, first world problem but appreciate any input.

Thanks

PAJ
---------- ADS -----------

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Best Carry-On Luggage ?

Post by ahramin »

Easy answer: Anything by Travelpro. Got one last year and will never buy anything else.

Came across a short documentary on the company a while ago and now I understand why they're so much better than everything else out there.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Briggs & Riley.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Swiss or Samsonite.

I actually use a Samsomite backpack as carry-on, as well as for my flight bag, and it works really well. Easy to carry, lots of compartments for devices, snacks and water, easy to stow. I got it for something like $70 in a sale at The Bay.

The Bay usually has sales where you can get good discounts on luggage, although probably not at the moment.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I used to like the Travelpro a lot - I've had a couple - but my last one had major handle problems... The wheels held up well though and they are priced reasonably for the quality in general.

But I currently subscribed to the idea of spend a couple hundred extra and get a great bag that lasts.

I am very happy with my current Victorinox bag. Aside from being solid it's designed very well for organisation and maximising capacity. When you are living out of your suitcase half the time it's money well spent.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

And keep an eye on Amazon for what you want... I got a great deal.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Not a roller, but I use my Osprey travel backback for everything. I bought one the perfect size for just about every carry on size limit. Only one I've had a bit of trouble with was AA, but I just went to another security gate and all was well. I go on 2-3 week trips now with just that as a carry on. I guess living out of a backpack for nearly a year will do that to you. I hate checking luggage.

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

2nd vote for Briggs & Riley. Expensive, but worth it. The last carry on bag you will ever need. Will fit overhead and under most seats.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/c ... abin-bag-3

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I've had two travelpro's both needed fixing less than 1 year.

There is a reason 97% (not exaggerating, have a look next time you're walking in any terminal) of pilots use Laggage works. They're expensive, but are bullet proof and have a ridiculously long warranty.
They're heavy, but extremely durable.
I've been using mine since 2011, and has survived 3 continents, and several dozen countries.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Another vote for Briggs & Riley here.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

CpnCrunch wrote:Swiss or Samsonite.

I actually use a Samsomite backpack as carry-on, as well as for my flight bag, and it works really well. Easy to carry, lots of compartments for devices, snacks and water, easy to stow. I got it for something like $70 in a sale at The Bay.
I got some Samsonite luggage for my wedding and it was absolute crap. I was really disappointed how poor the quality was based on the really reputable name Samsonite is (was). I wasn't even using it as crew bags - this was just luggage for vacations. The larger sized one blew a wheel during the honeymoon and the carry-on died a year later. I went back to my old "Air Canada" brand on from Sears that I had been using for 12 years prior. I'm sure some of their higher end stuff is still good, but I won't be purchasing again.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

Try Rimowa http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/ if you are looking for unquestionable quality and reliability.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

JBI wrote: I got some Samsonite luggage for my wedding and it was absolute crap. I was really disappointed how poor the quality was based on the really reputable name Samsonite is (was). I wasn't even using it as crew bags - this was just luggage for vacations. The larger sized one blew a wheel during the honeymoon and the carry-on died a year later. I went back to my old "Air Canada" brand on from Sears that I had been using for 12 years prior. I'm sure some of their higher end stuff is still good, but I won't be purchasing again.
Not sure about the carry-ons, but I have a Samsomite backpack which is top quality. I generally never use wheeled carryons any more, just backpack (plus suitcase for longer trips).

My wife has a "Swiss Travel Products" carry-on which has held up quite well (she fills it completely full of documents for business trips).

Do airline pilots even need a large carry-on thing any more, now that you use ipads for the charts?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

This carries my iPad, headset, a few snacks and my "stay away from the cockpit!" Device.

Not carrying around 2 continents worth of Jepp's is awesome!
It fits on the outside of my seat. My roll-on fits behind me, even with 2 jumpseaters, but that's more of a compliment to the aircraft.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (803.43 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

First pay the bucks a decent roller carry-on will cost between 2 and 3 hundred bucks Swiss made a good one I have been using it for 15 years and had one overhaul at about year 10 which was free because of lifetime warranty. I also have an 18in travelpro that also has lasted for many years as well. Both bags were the top line at the time and worth the extra money.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Nark, its hard to tell how big that is, can you put a banana in the picture next time for scale?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I have a Travel Pro Magna 2 Platinum and the quality is incredible. It's survived being gate checked (won't fit in the overhead of a CRJ, not much will). Meets the carry-on requirements of nearly all domestic airlines and (I think) all international flights. Great warranty, not that I have needed it. Bought it online from a luggage place in Ottawa and got it shipped for free. I have the suit part which has kept my dress shirts nice and wrinkle free and I can easily fit over a weeks worth of clothes inside. I would recommend the bag to anyone.

juliadavid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by juliadavid »

How is the fabric quality of Samsonite bags & backpacks? and is Samsonite a US-based company?

You guys approved my comment late. I bought it now using Zipit coupons.

Return to “General Comments”