Keeping white shirts white

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Keeping white shirts white

Post by lazyeight »

Anyone have some tips as to how to keep white shirts white? I've been having trouble as of late with yellowing. Could be the heat we've been having where I am, maybe the type of anti-antiperspirant. Who knows.

My current solution that works OK is Oxy Clean spray. I let it soak for a few hours before washing but even that seems to not be working the way it used to. I always feel one step behind especially during summers. From what I understand it's not the sweat but the anti-antiperspirant reacting with the sweat causing marks which regular bleach never seems to be able to remove. What deoderant/anti-persperant do you use? What detergent? Any tips/tricks?
---------- ADS -----------

Trematode
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Keeping white shirts white

Post by Trematode »

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/ ... stain.html

I've heard lemon juice works for removing the build up from antiperspirants. That link has a bunch of other suggestions to try.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Alot of bleach.

Fill up your washing machine just with white shirts.
When the water is full for the old style machines or half way thru its fill up with the new front loading type, add about 1/2 liter of bleach.

I wash my 6 shirts all at once and they come out impeccable.

Also i change a shirt once a day. Even if its a 1 leg day.
The "yellow armpit " stains come also by a overload of deodorant in the fabric.

Hope it helps

Andy

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

For the 'orrible brown "ring around the collar", I've read about using "Dawn" dish liquid and a toothbrush. You need to use the brush because the brown crap is greasy oil that apparently men's sweat has in greater abundance than women's, especially in the neck area. The surfactant needs to be physically agitated hence the brush. Gross, I know. Anyway apparently it has to be "Dawn" because it breaks down grease better than other brands (that might be why they use it to clean crude oil off baby ducks and otters and stuff)

I was planning on trying this at the week-end, because my uniform shirts all have the gross collar stain.

I've tried the bleach thing before but it doesn't seem to help the collar shit, plus the washed shirts smell really bleachy afterward. I guess I should have washed them again after the bleach?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

I m surprised the neck didnt come clean .
I ve had my 6 shirts for 9 months now and they look just as new as the ones i ve just recieved.

I use gani fabric softner and yes tgere s some bleach snell but mostly its just " fresh" smell.

Andy

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Meatservo wrote:For the 'orrible brown "ring around the collar", I've read about using "Dawn" dish liquid and a toothbrush. You need to use the brush because the brown crap is greasy oil that apparently men's sweat has in greater abundance than women's, especially in the neck area.
Use a bar of Sunlight Soap with a brush - works amazing for the neck stains. Just need some good scrubbing.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Yellow stains are from the alum in anti-perspirents so switch to deodorant only and no more yellow pit stains.

FlyB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyB »

LOL I am so glad I found this thread. I've used the dish soap/ toothbrush technique but it takes A LOT of scrubbing. I just throw some bleach in when I wash them once a week and scrub the collars once a month.

FlyB

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I always wear an undershirt. Just a plain, white cotton fruit of the loom Walmart special under shirt. I find doing that it keeps my outer shirts cleaner longer. In fact, the cotton is much better at wicking the sweat away, so even on a hot-as-balls day, I find I'm a lot cooler than if I were just wearing the outer shirt.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Hang to dry, avoid putting them in the drier. Most uniform shirts are not exactly high quality, ours are outright garbage. Avoiding the heat of the drier helps.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

FICU wrote:Yellow stains are from the alum in anti-perspirents so switch to deodorant only and no more yellow pit stains.
Unfortunatley I sweat like a dog and without antiperspirants I'd have a waterfall dripping form my underarm.

Thanks for all the tips guys, yes the neck collar is also super frustrating. I'll try a few of these ideas out and see if anything makes an improvement.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:I always wear an undershirt. Just a plain, white cotton fruit of the loom Walmart special under shirt. I find doing that it keeps my outer shirts cleaner longer. In fact, the cotton is much better at wicking the sweat away, so even on a hot-as-balls day, I find I'm a lot cooler than if I were just wearing the outer shirt.

I find it hard to do this when it's 35* and 100% humidity. In the winter I do, which I guess explains why I tend to only have the stain issues in the summer.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

I used the Dawn on the collar a few months ago for the first time. It actually worked pretty well. I didn't use a toothbrush though, but if I had it probably would have been even better.

I guess I should write something here.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Wear an undershirt, it gets yellow instead of the fancy shirt. Also, for the love of god, please wear deodorant. Don't be that stinky pilot nobody wants to fly with!

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

There's a lot of good ideas here. I'm going to tell my wife about them and see what happens. :P

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I sweat a lot so have figured out what works best for me.

I use Oxyclean, but when I soak it or wash it I use HOT water, not warm or luke warm, hot!
I use an undershirt. Underarmour "Charged Cotton" works pretty well as it's a sport shirt. I am 6'5" and most undershirts are not long enough. Another good undershirt is a Eddie Bauer shirt - they come in tall sizes, that one never comes untucked!

When all else fails or you spill coffee/food on your shirt I resort to bleach but generally don't have to use it often. I use Deodorant vs Antiperspirant (I used to until I read how bad it can be for you) that combined with using an undershirt the biggest problem for me is my neck line and spilling coffee on it in turbulence!

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Ever seen those 'stain sticks'? I have one you can rub in just before washing or leave on for up to a week in the hamper before washing. Really helps with the collar stains.

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

^

I picked up one of those stain sticks at Home Hardware, and it works GREAT! I haven't had to use it on yellow pit stains yet (cross my fingers/knock on wood I don't get them), but it is amazing at getting pen marks off the pockets, and the grunge from around the collar.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Just wear a white turtleneck under your shirt!

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Never had a problem with shirts turning yellow form contact from my body, misc dirt or BBQ sauce or something sure, yellow secretions not so much.

What your diet like?

Return to “General Comments”