Border Crossings

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Border Crossings

Post by blue thunder »

Helicopter guy here, and I don't frequently cross the US border, but when I do, I'm usually scrambling on trying to find a frequency that will give me a Transponder Code while in flight to cross the border. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily leave from a populated airport, and I don't fly at ten thousand feet to pick up a FISE. I've tried getting a code when calling in a flight plan, and haven't been successful at this either. Calling someone by phone is my best option, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening. I'm looking for answers on both sides of the border here. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Border Crossings

Post by CpnCrunch »

Where are you flying from? Anywhere in the Vancouver/Victoria area you just call Kamloops on 1-866-WXBRIEF to get a transponder code (see YYJ entry in the CFS). Also, any time I file a flight plan by phone they give me a transponder code.

What do you mean you haven't been successful getting a code when filing your flight plan? Have you specifically asked for a code, and told them why you need it?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Look up a nearby airport in the CAP and try the frequency listed under APP on one of the airport plates.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

If you call Lockheed Martin FSS on the phone (1-800-WX-BRIEF, just say "any" for the state), they can give you a border crossing squawk code. I've had to do it a few times in less populated parts of Canada where its sometimes hard to get ATC on the radio.

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

CpnCrunch wrote:Where are you flying from? Anywhere in the Vancouver/Victoria area you just call Kamloops on 1-866-WXBRIEF to get a transponder code (see YYJ entry in the CFS). Also, any time I file a flight plan by phone they give me a transponder code.

What do you mean you haven't been successful getting a code when filing your flight plan? Have you specifically asked for a code, and told them why you need it?
Usually (when I rarely do cross) I am leaving from southern Alberta. Yes, I had asked them specifically for a crossing code. I'll 'persist' more next time. Thanks for all the responses.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Sometimes the wrong person doesn't know how to. I believe either Canadian or American ATC can give a code and you may be able to reach them even if they can't get you on radar.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

This is a good discussion folks. I just got back into small airplane flying after many years of only flying commercially. So these little discussions help me when I am crossing in a 172 now, even though I have been crossing the border every week IFR in my heavy jet for years.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

A caution for when you get a border crossing code from flight service in the US... When you're heading north, you may pass through a few other areas on the way where someone will ask you to squawk another code as you pass through their airspace. I once had my code changed three times in a row, and after leaving the last area I was told "squawk previous enroute code..." Ah, okay, what the heck was it...

Moral of the story: Write down the border crossing code on your kneeboard so you can tune back to it.

Return to “General Comments”