What do you drive to work?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Low_And_Slow172
Rank 0
Rank 0

What do you drive to work?

Post by Low_And_Slow172 »

When my inevitable time to move up north occurs, I want to be prepared. Is my hatchback going to cut it for the daily commute? How often do snowplows move around? Aside from a large pickup truck, what are other options?

This is also open to anyone who wants to chat about their car if you'd like.
---------- ADS -----------

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: What do you drive to work?

Post by all_ramped_up »

How far "North" you talking?

My 2001 Ford Focus worked fine to commute in Goose Bay... my 2014 Ford Fiesta works in Nova Scotia. Studded Winter Tires = Best.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

all_ramped_up wrote:How far "North" you talking?

My 2001 Ford Focus worked fine to commute in Goose Bay... my 2014 Ford Fiesta works in Nova Scotia. Studded Winter Tires = Best.
Hakkapeliitta R2's and front wheel drive.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

You'll be fine. My old civic with winters got me through -30* and lots of snow. Plows are always working. There might be a day or two where it's a bit more difficult to get to work but overall you should be OK. Although I can't stress enough, invest in a block warmer. The kind that goes into the frost plug and a good battery.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Had a 90's 325is that took me all over the country at all times of the year. Biggest thing. GOOD TIRES!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I had a VW Golf up in Thompson when I was there for the winter. Block heater, battery blanket, and interior heater kept me mobile down to -45c. Check your coolant concentration and consider an oil change prior to really cold snaps. If you are setting out on a road trip, buy a CAA membership - the $60ish is good peace of mind if your car is at all dodgy. Also, if you're driving an import, consider getting mx done at Canadian Tyre - they've got a country-wide warranty, and they are in many towns (unlike dealerships.)

Good luck, and have fun!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I took my small vehicle up north. To be honest it was easier to handle, since it was always cold during winter, there was no slush, the snow would just slide off your car and roads were plowed. I did invest in a block heater, that made a great difference during the cold nights. Just make sure you're well prepared to drive up north as there are few service/gas stations in between and may not be open 24 hours.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

Doesn't really snow much up here in Yellowknife, as it's typically a bit too brisk to snow! If Mrs Grasshopper can manage to drive the minivan around with three little critters without too much trouble, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Honestly, 'down South' folk see much worse driving conditions during the winter than us, as we rarely need to do any highway driving. Can't speak for anywhere but YZF though! PM if you have any other questions!

YG
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

lazyeight wrote:You'll be fine. My old civic with winters got me through -30* and lots of snow. Plows are always working. There might be a day or two where it's a bit more difficult to get to work but overall you should be OK. Although I can't stress enough, invest in a block warmer. The kind that goes into the frost plug and a good battery.
That, and an in line coolant heater. They are cheap, you cut the lower rad hose install it in line with the two hose clamps provided, then when you jump in an go the heater has some heat to it. Consider some BFG all terrain TA's. They come in car sizes. Even saw them on taxi cabs in Yellowknife.

Prepare to get hosed on the out of province inspection. In MB they made me install a new headlight lens for $300 because mine had a crack and I had to special order a new clutch pedal rubber cover cause fuk you we have you by the balls that's why.

Conic Projection
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Conic Projection »

2013/14 took a 2001 Saturn with a new battery and winter tires, out to an oil rig off of a logging road just after a blizzard, from Vancouver to Whitecourt. Two tire tracks in the deep snow for an hour out to camp. Left it there for two weeks, fired up ready for days off. Back and fourth from Whitecourt to Edmonton all winter and then sold it in Vancouver a year later. My point is you can drive a descent vehicle in almost any conditions.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I had a 2 wheel drive pickup truck. Mostly because I could load up all my crap and move. Was seasonal the first few years of my career, so moved lots.

Once I started into the IFR non-seasonal stuff, block heater worked wonders in -40. Already had winter tires and had to put some sand bags in the back. But that's pretty typical of 2 wheel drive trucks anywhere.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

2015 Golf TDI.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Thompson was damn cold, well all of Manitoba was damn cold. Having a breakdown on the side of highway 6 in winter is a life threatening situation. I drove that road at night once and saw perhaps two other cars in 6 hours, and they were both in the southern portion of MB. It does not take long for your warm car to turn into a refrigerator.

Build yourself a survival kit that takes into account the extreme cold. Always dress for survival before heading out on the roads for a long trip, especially at night.

Good headlights. I almost bought it 5 times in Manitoba. Buddy of mine with the same type of car narrowly avoiding death when he collided with a moose in Saskatchewan. So clear lenses, bright bulbs!

Cheers

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Had a crappy Mazda 626, then a Honda accord. you'll be fine as long as its mechanically sound.
If you're doing lots of driving between bases in northern anything carry extra windshield wash, and some provisions in case you breakdown or get stuck (blanket, flashlight, big candle, energy bars, ETC).

A BIG +1 to nokian tires, I've have had many sets. If you can't afford 2 sets of tires (lets face it most new pilots can't) please look into the Nokian WRG2 tires. They are one of the few "all weather" tire, are brilliant in winter driving and you can drive them year round, Just rotate them regularly.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

My winter car in Thunder Bay was a 1989 Nissan 240SX with oversized knobby snow tires. Best fun I've ever had for $500, never got stuck, cost about $75 to repair while I owned it (300-350,000 KM). I actually preferred it over my Subaru for goofing around in the snow. I can slide the Subaru, but with AWD and good snow tires it will still accelerate all the way through the slide and come out at speeds that can get expensive if something goes wrong. RWD can wag the tail all over the place at walking speed.

Get whatever is cheap and reliable, put the smallest steel wheels that will fit on it and go up diameter or two for your tires. If you drive in heavy slush a lot (400 highways) go narrow on the tires - a skinny tire will cut through the slush to the road underneath where a wide tire would ride over it.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Be cautious of some older model diesel cars or pickups. Many diesels will not start in cold weather unless they are plugged in and they have to be driven reasonably hard to get engine temps up to normal operating. Use some diesel fuel conditioner in the fuel for open road driving just in case. Also buy your fuel from a busy reputable dealer to avoid contaminated fuel. Invest in a decent winter bra (automobile type as opposed to gf type) for highway travel. As a last resort with a diesel, consider a can of ether to get that very cold diesel started but be careful with that stuff. Almost all modern well tuned gas engine autos will start easily and run well in some very cold temperatures. Use gas line antifreeze or at least have a can in the trunk.
Above all, use common sense.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If you are going to live in consistent -30 or colder, a block heater is a must. Sure, most modern cars will start at -40, but even 5w20 is thick as molasses and you'll wear out the engine in 2 years. You won't believe the noises that an engine will make if it's -40 and not plugged in.

Going to the comment about moose and wildlife, I do everything I can to avoid driving at night. A dark animal silhouetted against the black background is hard to see even with a spot light. If it's not necessary, best to avoid it.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

One other thing, if you don't want to blow power steering pumps put in some winter fluid. It's thinner and better in the cold. I blew two pump seals.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Keep it plugged in overnight with the interior heater in the on position. Wake up, push the remote start, take a shower and have breakfast, press remote start again and get ready, car is nice and warm when you get in it.

Then, sometimes it ended up just running while in the parking lot for an hour or so while you do your errands.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

If your going north don't get a diesel even new ones won't be warm by the time you get to work. Gas engine, block heater, synthetic fluids, new battery and winter tires.

Return to “General Comments”