West Wind Aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ricochet
Rank 0
Rank 0

West Wind Aviation

Post by ricochet »

Purchased Transwest, then laid off own crew, now a work stoppage by Transport due to pilot training records, what's going on there? :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: West Wind Aviation

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Stop drop on everyone at West Wind? Sounded like a bunch of other companies picking up the slack in YXE today.

upup_away
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upup_away »

If anyone has any additional info I would be interested in hearing how this develops. They're a pretty big player out here.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It was a revolving door unfortunately for a while up until the oil crash.

Not surprised mistakes were made, especially with changes in management and styles.

Hopefully they get back on their feet.

S.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Heard that all flying has been suspended at WW now, not just the ATR. How long am I expected to continue to fly their routes while they sort out their COM and I would presume find a new Ops Manager?

BE82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BE82 »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:Heard that all flying has been suspended at WW now, not just the ATR. How long am I expected to continue to fly their routes while they sort out their COM and I would presume find a new Ops Manager?
Whats wrong with the current Ops Manager if you don't mind me asking??

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

BE82 wrote:
ThatArmyGuy wrote:Heard that all flying has been suspended at WW now, not just the ATR. How long am I expected to continue to fly their routes while they sort out their COM and I would presume find a new Ops Manager?
Whats wrong with the current Ops Manager if you don't mind me asking??
Presumably someone is going to fall on their sword for incorrect training procedures and manuals at all levels 703/704 and 705. Maybe it'll be the CPs, maybe not. Good times ahead for WW I bet.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

CP's are ultimately responsible for training and maintenance of training records are they not?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

When I was doing some of the companies training, I found that many pilots took the training material with them when they left and some even took their training records. It did not take all that long before the cupboard was bare. That is unless the training was done in the sims or the records were electronic.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

What I should have said is when I did training for companies other than WW. I have never had any contact with WW.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

CP's are ultimately responsible for training and maintenance of training records are they not?
Not in TC's eyes -- under SMS it will fall back to the "Accountable Executive" and the DFO or VP of flight Ops/Maintenance -- in reality a CP is a pretty insignificant part of it, the DFO's stenographers, if you will, in many small operations and not even recognized as a part of the upper management team.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
BE82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BE82 »

valleyboy wrote:
Not in TC's eyes -- under SMS it will fall back to the "Accountable Executive" and the DFO or VP of flight Ops/Maintenance -- in reality a CP is a pretty insignificant part of it, the DFO's stenographers, if you will, in many small operations and not even recognized as a part of the upper management team.
Just FYI: 725.07
b) Chief Pilot

(i) Qualifications

The Chief Pilot shall have the following qualifications:
(amended 2003/06/01)

(A) hold a valid Airline Transport Pilot Licence (aeroplanes), a valid Instrument Rating appropriate for the group of aeroplane and a type rating for at least one of the types of aeroplanes operated;

(B) have at least 3 years aeroplane experience (commercial operations experience not required) as pilot-in-command:
(amended 1998/03/23)

(I) of an aeroplane referred to in paragraph 705.01(a) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations; and
(amended 1998/03/23)

(II) in the weight group (more or less than 100,000 lbs) and type of operations (domestic / international, cargo / passenger);
(amended 1998/03/23)

(C) be qualified for line flying on one of the types of aeroplanes operated;

(D) demonstrate knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the Company Operations Manual, Training Manuals, Standard Operating Procedures, Approved Check Pilot Manual (if applicable), and the provisions of the Regulations and Standards necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position; and

(E) the chief pilot's personal record in relation to aviation shall not include:
(amended 2003/06/01; no previous version)

(I) any conviction under subsection 7.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act; or

(II) two or more convictions, occurring during separate unrelated events, under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

(ii) Responsibilities

The chief pilot is responsible for the professional standards of the flight crews under his/her authority, and in particular:

(A) developing standard operating procedures;

(B) developing and/or implementing all required approved training programs for the air operator flight crews;

(C) issuing directives and notices to the flight crews as required;

(D) the operational suitability and requirements of all aerodromes and routes served by the air operator;

(E) the actioning and distribution of accident, incident, and other occurrence reports;

(F) the processing and actioning of any flight crew reports;

(G) the supervision of flight crews;

(H) assuming any responsibilities delegated by the Operations Manager; and

(I) in his or her absence, all responsibilities for duties shall be delegated to another qualified individual, except that the knowledge requirements detailed under chief pilot qualifications may be demonstrated to the air operator rather than the Minister.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

The CP is responsible to develop and implement the training program but ensuring the crews complete all the training and it's properly documented before being released to the flight line is definitely the responsibility of the DFO/Operations Manager as they are required to maintain "operational control".

It's usually poor documentation of training (if it's not documented it didn't happen) is likely why they "chose" to have parked the planes and spent a few days retraining everyone.

The "operational control" finding is always against the DFO and as stated, the CP is a pretty small fish in the big picture.

BE82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BE82 »

i agree that the DFO is "Ultimately" responsible for the operations including Ops Control, but the CP is responsible for training, the CP is a post holder possition and findings do not go "Against" anyone.. any how hopefully they get up and running soon enough and i am sure some heads will roll regardless.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Technically you are correct but "Lack of operational control" finding points very clearly at only one person. The CAR is very clear on that.

At least it appears they are up and running again.

BE82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BE82 »

bobcaygeon wrote:Technically you are correct but "Lack of operational control" finding points very clearly at only one person. The CAR is very clear on that.

At least it appears they are up and running again.
Well.. looks like the CP was the one that bit the dust..

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

One of two.

I guess someone had to step out after this kerfuffle.

S.

Return to “General Comments”