Where to POST "Looking for plane and pilot for Can/USa flight in November, 2016 ..."

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

guydiver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to POST "Looking for plane and pilot for Can/USa flight in November, 2016 ..."

Post by guydiver »

My father (78) and I (49) are looking to pay for a custom flight (plane and pilot) from Swan River, Manitoba, Canada to Yuma, Arizona, USA sometime in early November, 2016. Pick up and drop off for us. Round trip for you (wherever you start from and back to where you started from ... with Swan River, Manitoba, Canada and Yuma, Arizona, USA in the middle). We have very little luggage. Snowbirds from Canada going down to our place in Yuma, AZ for 182 days. A return trip around the end of April, 2017 is also an interest. Any better place, I should be putting this ad would be appreciated. A plane and pilot out of the USA somewhere between Yuma, AZ and Swan River, MB would work best. An over night stay at our place in Yuma is also in the offer.
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Where to POST "Looking for plane and pilot for Can/USa flight in November, 2016 ..."

Post by nbinont »

So you're aware, this sounds very much like a commercial request to which you'd need to speak to a flight school or air taxi company. Some background reading may help to understand the concerns involved:
https://www.copanational.org/AbtAirplanesAndMoney.cfm
http://www.pittspecials.com/articles/Compensation.htm

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Where to POST "Looking for plane and pilot for Can/USa flight in November, 2016 ..."

Post by ahramin »

What you are looking for is an aircraft charter. Just start searching for aircraft charters at airports near you and near your destination. They will all have a website.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, Guydiver, you want a proper charter operation. You do not want an eager C 172 pilot, who though possibly could get you there, cannot assure you of appropriate pilot skill and experience, well maintained aircraft, and regulatory compliance for an international flight.

guydiver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by guydiver »

Thank you for the info ... it was a good read and answered a lot of questions.

guydiver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by guydiver »

nbinont wrote:So you're aware, this sounds very much like a commercial request to which you'd need to speak to a flight school or air taxi company. Some background reading may help to understand the concerns involved:
https://www.copanational.org/AbtAirplanesAndMoney.cfm
http://www.pittspecials.com/articles/Compensation.htm
Thank you for the info ... it was a good read and answered a lot of questions.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

COLD OPEN

FADE IN

INT - AVCANADA GENERAL COMMENTS - DAY

GUYDIVER walks in asking if there is a pilot who would dare to take him and his aging father to Yuma by air. The forum is dark. There is murmuring about the recent SULLY movie, and about job bonds. From across the forum a rough voice speaks up.

NISS
"Yuma. That's a place I haven't heard in a long time. A lot of memories in Yuma. None of them are happy."

NISS stares at GUYDIVER with his steely eye (the other covered in an eyepatch). NISS' face is covered with 3 days worth of stubble. A large scar runs from the right side of his forehead down across the eye patch to his right cheek.

NISS
"Why the hell would you want to go to Yuma? Ain't no man wants to go to Yuma. No man of peace anyway."

NISS lifts a shot of burbon and downs it without breaking eye contact.

GUYDIVER tries to start explaining but is quickly cut off by NISS.

NISS
"I don't care your reasons. It isn't my business. In fact, that's somewhat of my specialty. You need a ship, and a pilot. I happen to be one, and have the other. I'll take you and yer pappy to Yuma. It's $5000 now, and $5000 when we arrive. If transport asks, you're friends. I was going to Yuma anyway, and you're splitting fuel, and oil, and nothing more. The kind of flying I do ain't exactly "commercial", it's more "Private" if you catch my drift"

NISS spits on the floor. GUYDIVER looks a little nervous.

NISS
"Meet me at the Springwater Airpark in Barrie at 2pm. You'll know my ship when you see her. You can each bring a backpack, and plenty of cash for bribes. If the gods favour us....we might even survive to see Yuma."

NISS strikes a match off his stubble and lights a cigar. Goddamn does he ever look cool doing it. He blows smoke in GUYDIVER's face with a grin. GUYDIVER starts coughing.

NISS
"Smile, Jack. You just hired yourself a pilot."

CAMERA STARTS ZOOMING IN ON NISS' EYPATCH. LED ZEPPELIN'S KASHMIR STARTS PLAYING

FADE OUT

START OPENING CREDITS

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

niss wrote:COLD OPEN

FADE IN

INT - AVCANADA GENERAL COMMENTS - DAY

GUYDIVER walks in asking if there is a pilot who would dare to take him and his aging father to Yuma by air. The forum is dark. There is murmuring about the recent SULLY movie, and about job bonds. From across the forum a rough voice speaks up.

NISS
"Yuma. That's a place I haven't heard in a long time. A lot of memories in Yuma. None of them are happy."

NISS stares at GUYDIVER with his steely eye (the other covered in an eyepatch). NISS' face is covered with 3 days worth of stubble. A large scar runs from the right side of his forehead down across the eye patch to his right cheek.

NISS
"Why the hell would you want to go to Yuma? Ain't no man wants to go to Yuma. No man of peace anyway."

NISS lifts a shot of burbon and downs it without breaking eye contact.

GUYDIVER tries to start explaining but is quickly cut off by NISS.

NISS
"I don't care your reasons. It isn't my business. In fact, that's somewhat of my specialty. You need a ship, and a pilot. I happen to be one, and have the other. I'll take you and yer pappy to Yuma. It's $5000 now, and $5000 when we arrive. If transport asks, you're friends. I was going to Yuma anyway, and you're splitting fuel, and oil, and nothing more. The kind of flying I do ain't exactly "commercial", it's more "Private" if you catch my drift"

NISS spits on the floor. GUYDIVER looks a little nervous.

NISS
"Meet me at the Springwater Airpark in Barrie at 2pm. You'll know my ship when you see her. You can each bring a backpack, and plenty of cash for bribes. If the gods favour us....we might even survive to see Yuma."

NISS strikes a match off his stubble and lights a cigar. Goddamn does he ever look cool doing it. He blows smoke in GUYDIVER's face with a grin. GUYDIVER starts coughing.

NISS
"Smile, Jack. You just hired yourself a pilot."

CAMERA STARTS ZOOMING IN ON NISS' EYPATCH. LED ZEPPELIN'S KASHMIR STARTS PLAYING

FADE OUT

START OPENING CREDITS

OMG :prayer: slow clap

You do need a title though. How about "8 days to Yuma"

OP Please heed the advice here.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

CFR wrote: You do need a title though. How about "8 days to Yuma"
I was thinking "There are angels, and then there are just men with wings."

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

:prayer: NISS :prayer:

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

niss... that was the best thing i've read on here in awhile.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Bravo Niss!

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Thanks guys. Glad you liked it!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

seriously though, chartering even a little single engine plane will be very expensive!

Post by Beefitarian »

Ten grand to go with niss? Or as auto correct calls him, "miss."

I'll do it for $9500. From the nearest airport to Swan River.
My hygiene is impeccable, no cigar smell and I will only drink after we land.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Great work Niss, unless these folks really want to see the world from down low, they will be going airline once they find the price.... Unless someone local has a place down south, is going anyhow, and their wife is driving down so they have a car for the winter, that might work....

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

I charge $500.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well that's not very sporting ReserveTank. You didn't even bid half.

I think we should have taken a little longer to get to the 500 reference. You win though..
Can't touch this!

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

guydiver wrote: Any better place, I should be putting this ad would be appreciated. A plane and pilot out of the USA somewhere between Yuma, AZ and Swan River ...
I follow the empty legs postings on occasion. Say there's a reasonable enough charter rate out of Regina (near your route); you sell off your empty leg to get a better deal .. so no need to give it away entirely for free (esp if there's still time to advertise it).

As said above, .. some inquiring is needed to get some idea of what's competitive. This was the right place to ask how to do it in order to have a memorable experience while doing it right.

Return to “General Comments”