Fort McMurray Visit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Fort McMurray Visit

Post by blue thunder »

I'm tentatively heading to Fort McMurray this coming Friday with some friends (by helicopter). We're going to stay one night. I thought it would be a shame not to tour some of then open mine projects they have out there, but at the same time, I didn't want to be a nuisance. From all research, all airports directly north of town are on a common frequency (123.5). I had also heard that Syncrude is a bit sticky on fly-overs. Just wondering what general procedures one can get away with while getting some good views of these areas, and at the same time keeping the folks on the ground happy. Any areas that are more 'scenic' to visit, or are there any areas we can definitely skip? As well, YYM has an extension of 15nm on their Mode C boundary, do they want you to talk to them while transitioning through their area beyond the 5nm CZ? No problem either way, but that's the first I've seen of something like this. We'll be parking for the night at Phoenix, so that little piece to my puzzle has been taken care of. Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Fort McMurray Visit

Post by J31 »

Paul or one of the guys at Phoenix Heli-Flight are the best ones to talk to about helicopter operations around the area. Paul Spring has been up there for more than 25 years.

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

123.5 is an advisory frequency for the area. Each airport has a discrete MF frequency in addition to that.

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

J31 wrote:Paul or one of the guys at Phoenix Heli-Flight are the best ones to talk to about helicopter operations around the area. Paul Spring has been up there for more than 25 years.

Thanks for that. I have a message in to Paul.

ditar wrote:123.5 is an advisory frequency for the area. Each airport has a discrete MF frequency in addition to that.
Yessir! I see some have an A/G frequency unique to each airport, but I am reading that all have a common ATF of 123.5.

Mildred Lake [CER4] 1046’ ( Syncrude) ATF 123.5
A/G 122.95
Ft MacKay (Horizon) [CYNR] 916’ (Syncrude Aurora Mine) ATF 123.5
A/G 122.7
Albian [CAL4] 1048’ (Shell Canada) ATF 123.5
A/G 123.3
Firebag [CYF1] 1762’ (Suncor) ATF 123.5
A/G 122.8

Thanks for your input.

Return to “General Comments”