Multi training

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

docbishop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Multi training

Post by docbishop »

Hi there,
for those with the multi engine qualification, what is the average hours necessary to be able to feel comfortable for the check ride, flight schools seems to pretend that after 7 to 10 hours one should be ready...is it realistic ?
---------- ADS -----------

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Multi training

Post by Chaxterium »

Quite realistic. I can't remember how many multi hours I had when I did my ride but I was definitely in that range.

EDIT: I just checked. I had 8.9 hours when I did my multi ride. It was a breeze.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The time required to get the multi engine rating depends on several things.

How many hours you have when you start.

How much time you spend getting familiar with the airplane you will train on before you do the first flight, reading the POH and sitting in it getting familiar with the cockpit layout.

How much time you spend reading how to fly a multi engine airplane.

Who your instructor is.

If you have average flying skills and have flown a lot of hours in single engine airplanes you should get the rating in five to ten hours training plus the flight test.

It is not really that difficult a rating to do.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

I had 5.3 multi hours in my logbook when I did my flight test, it was a breeze

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Cat Driver wrote:The time required to get the multi engine rating depends on several things.

How many hours you have when you start.

How much time you spend getting familiar with the airplane you will train on before you do the first flight, reading the POH and sitting in it getting familiar with the cockpit layout.

How much time you spend reading how to fly a multi engine airplane.

Who your instructor is.

If you have average flying skills and have flown a lot of hours in single engine airplanes you should get the rating in five to ten hours training plus the flight test.

It is not really that difficult a rating to do.
Very good summary.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

It took me 12 hours in a Cessna 310.

Likely could have been less, but it was fun training.

If I were to do it again, I would not use my own plane for it, especially in the winter

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

I did my multi in like 7.5 hours including the ride.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I did my multi rating after being a "bush pilot" for a few years. I found that a Beech Travelair with one engined feathered handles a lot like a Beaver with a 16-foot Lund boat tied to the side. A bit better, actually. Piece of cake.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
docbishop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by docbishop »

tks for the answers !

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

I had less than 4 hours when I did my multi ride. Just learn all the single engine procedures, know it like the back of your hand. The rest of it, it's just another airplane.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

docbishop wrote:Hi there,
for those with the multi engine qualification, what is the average hours necessary to be able to feel comfortable for the check ride, flight schools seems to pretend that after 7 to 10 hours one should be ready...is it realistic ?
Answer: Typically takes 8-10 hours including the flight test. Getting the rating is not overly difficult.

Commentary: Just getting the rating may not make you proficient enough to keep a sick twin flying on one engine shortly after take off though. Hopefully the first time you are challenged in this fashion you will have a lot more experience under your belt. Flying single pilot IFR in a light piston twin is the most difficult flying ever invented. (Night carrier landings are number 2 in terms of level of difficulty.)

docbishop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by docbishop »

righthandman wrote:
docbishop wrote:Hi there,
Answer: Typically takes 8-10 hours including the flight test. Getting the rating is not overly difficult.

Commentary: Just getting the rating may not make you proficient enough to keep a sick twin flying on one engine shortly after take off though. Hopefully the first time you are challenged in this fashion you will have a lot more experience under your belt. Flying single pilot IFR in a light piston twin is the most difficult flying ever invented. (Night carrier landings are number 2 in terms of level of difficulty.)

This makes me think of a retired US navy pilot from Iraq war, who once told me that night carrier landing were dreaded more than the actual fighting mission.....

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

righthandman wrote: (Night carrier landings are number 2 in terms of level of difficulty.)
Not sure if you are sarcastic or not but I doubt you even ever saw one night trap, nevermind with pitching deck and all. I have seen accomplished pilots with hundreds/thousands of traps come back white as a ghost after a night trap. Having flown SE in a twin piston, not one of the hardest things I have done, by a lot...

Going for the deck at corner
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Oh give me a break, AuxBatOn. Hyperbole for ironic effect, or sarcasm, is a pretty common conversational tactic. You didn't recognize it? Get your programmer to introduce more colloquial english subroutines into your linguistic matrix for goodness' sake. While many humans will tend to over-use sarcasm, it's important to understand it if you wish to communicate with them more effectively. It shouldn't be much more difficult to get your head around than, say, a night carrier landing.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I'm a little less light hearted about flying twins, but then a lot of my flying of them in recent years has been testing what they'll do with the critical engine not developing any power. In a few cases, I've been happily surprised. A few other times, unhappily surprised. Yes, with skill and wisdom, you'll be competent. Will that skill and wisdom come in 5 to 10 hours of training, that a flight test? Hmmm, 'not so sure...

I was lucky to do my multi ride in a borrowed 310R, with an examiner who trained on 310s (Seneca, back in the day). I think I learned more during the ride than the training which preceded it! One of the things I learned is that every now and again, even though you're flying a plane with two engines, if one quits, a forced landing ahead may still be your better option. I try to think that through before takeoff, as a part o my self or crew briefing.

I have found this document to be very thought provoking:

http://www.avhf.com/html/Library/Leave_ ... An_Out.pdf

I did nearly lose the right engine (though it did keep running) in that same 310 the following summer, while departing Meigs Field, Chicago. I think it was only that fact that I had a very flat Lake Michigan to fly over, and a climb was not urgent, which kept me "safe". Late in life, We lost the right engine while positioning a Piper Cheyenne II. Just the two of us up front, enroute climb. Honestly, that was a piloting non event.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm was a little slower. (;>o) My twin rating in the venerable C-45 took over two months and involved around 80 hours.

Of course, that included an instrument rating...

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's tired, it's old, it seems to apply: "How do you know when there's a (military/navy/carrier) pilot in the room?"

Answer-"Oh, he'll tell you..."

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I did my rating on a multi turbo Aztec so I was comfortable at 15 hours, so depending on the aircraft times may vary, also having to do all the emergency situations require time, So don't rush it,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and, a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!

Return to “General Comments”