What to do if you lose your medical?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Turbine dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

What to do if you lose your medical?

Post by Turbine dog »

Hey everyone,

This topic has been on my mind lately and I figured it would be a good topic to start.

Lets say you are a heavy turbo prop captain with 5000 hours making good money (80-100k) and all of a sudden you lose your medical, and it dosent look like you can get it back.

What do you do? Where do you go? Are there any non-flying aviation jobs out there that don't require a medical but would still respect/require the years of flying exp that you have? Do you need to be a Licensed pilot to work for TC or the TSB?

I am looking specifically for Aviation related jobs.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: What to do if you lose your medical?

Post by Meatservo »

Become an "SMS Consultant".

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Sim instructor? Not sure if a company like FlightSafety would have provisions for instructors without a valid license. I think it'd just be internal policy as long as you aren't doing rides. Personally, I kind of enjoyed working in the sim on a snowy 0/0 day with a hot coffee when everyone else is going missed and diverting.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

DanWEC wrote:Sim instructor? Not sure if a company like FlightSafety would have provisions for instructors without a valid license. I think it'd just be internal policy as long as you aren't doing rides. Personally, I kind of enjoyed working in the sim on a snowy 0/0 day with a hot coffee when everyone else is going missed and diverting.
It is possible. I had a sim instructor who lost his medical due to a heart condition.

Me personally, I think I would become a stripper.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

If you are properly equipped, there is always a QA person in a Floida house of ill repute.
Failing that, look at consulting with companies like Contrails or developing and presenting training programs for various Air Operators.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Loss of medical insurance.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

(2) Qualifications and Responsibilities of Managerial Personnel

(a) Operations Manager

(i) Qualifications

(A) holds or has held the appropriate licence and ratings for which a pilot-in-command is required to hold for one of the aeroplanes operated; or

(B) has acquired not less than 3 years related supervisory experience with an operator of a commercial air service whose flight operations are similar in size and scope; and

(C) demonstrates knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the operations manual, the air operator's certificate and operations specifications, the provision of the regulations and standards necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities to ensure safety.

Return to “General Comments”