Im so broke from being a pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Im so broke from being a pilot

Post by porcsord »

The longer I'm in the industry, the more QOL takes precedence over numbers. I don't work for free, but I am happy to work less and enjoy life. I would rather work for someone who I enjoy working for, who treats me well, then make more money at a job I hate.

I recently went from making about 80k USD tax free, with all living expenses covered, to making about 100k (pre tax), here in Canada. I have zero regrets about that decision... well one, my house would have been paid off in a couple years. But overall I'm infinitely more happy making roughly half what I used to. It's not all about money, although money helps.

To answer the original question, year 1 I was making about 22k, year 2 was up to 55k, and it's only been south of 60k after that on years when I chose to take 4-8 months off for travel. Working full time I'd say the average for years 3-8 would be about 80k.
---------- ADS -----------

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

complexintentions wrote:Don't set the bar so low as "what your non-aviation friends" make. Aviation does have the potential to earn you far more money than any of your friends. But it takes more than a couple of years, exceptional adaptation skills, and a bit of luck.

Oh yeah. And you have to leave Canada. :lol:
which burger king do your friends work at???

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Pt6-42 wrote:How long in your career were you living on less that 40k/yr. how long till you caught up your friends who are not in aviation.
Took less than two years to make over 40k, and offered a 100k/yr position not long after. I turned it down to go 705. Your career is what you make of it, personally I'm not chasing the money... I'm after lifestyle.

Return to “General Comments”