Overflying US airspace without clearing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pkofman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Overflying US airspace without clearing

Post by pkofman »

Im not sure if this is the a good place to ask this question but thought there would be some experience here to provide an answer

Am I allowed to overfly US airspace during a flight that originates and ends in Canada. For example I might fly from cykz to cyul via the south shore. I might enter US airspace and leave without clearing US customs ( obviously as i did not land). Is that legal?
Would I have to notify someone in advance or would the filing of my flight plan route be enough to allow for compliance

Some experience on this would be helpful

Peter
---------- ADS -----------

Peter Kofman
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Overflying US airspace without clearing

Post by FishermanIvan »

Dunno how it is in Montreal, but in Victoria I flew over the San Juans all the time without filing a flight plan or telling anyone in the USA anything.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It's fine as long as you have a transponder code and a flight plan and you're talking to ATC. I think there is a document on COPA's website about this, and it's been discussed here on avcanada in the past.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

The best way to get a code for crossing the border is to file IFR. Failing that, get flight following.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Done the inverse tons of times, just be on flight following or IFR, ie be talking and squackin'

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You can get flight following or you can call US flight service (1800-WXBRIEF) and ask for a border crossing squawk code. You can either pick the state you're overflying (New York), or you can say "Any." They might ask where you're expecting to enter and exit, or possibly your route of flight. I've done this lots of times in areas of poor radio reception to call Center. On your route, it's very easy to get flight following from Montreal. Sometimes they ask you to call Boston Center, but sometimes they keep you with them for the whole way.

Oh, and you have to have a VFR or IFR flight plan. If it's VFR, ask them to send it to the appropriate FIR (Boston in this case) as well. I think they have a code or something they can put in it to make sure it gets sent over.

Return to “General Comments”