Any Idea if this is from an aircraft?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Any Idea if this is from an aircraft?

Post by bobm »

Found a couple of pieces of honeycomb aluminum hiking the East Coast of Barbuda. This one is about 2" thick and has compound curves. Not part of a boat, this would fall apart in saltwater I think.

Found a ADF antenna washed up as well, but not related.

Any thoughts as to origin?
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Barbuda Honeycomb 3 sm.jpg
Barbuda Honeycomb 3 sm.jpg (956.18 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Any Idea if this is from an aircraft?

Post by TG »

Launching rocket's part?
Just throwing this idea without checking anything.

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

That thought had crossed my mind too.

I find stuff from ALL over washed up here including satellite buoys from Canada's east coast. They would have to had cross the ocean twice to make it here....

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Find any washed up lobsters? Barbuda used to have a little islander type airstrip to land and buy lobsters...sorry for the thread drift...great memories of that place

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Believe it or not...that does remind me of an aircraft part. I have seen floor panelling that was honeycomb like that peice is. Maybe you have discovered the missing link to that Malysian plane(but I doubt it).

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

trey kule wrote:Find any washed up lobsters? Barbuda used to have a little islander type airstrip to land and buy lobsters...sorry for the thread drift...great memories of that place
Still does have the strip. Some one retracted the gear on a fixed-gear Warrior on it 2 days ago. Landed short in a x-wind....

Lobsters washing up? Yes, but you don't want to eat them. They are purple when washed up. I do buy them from the fishers though at $7 usd per pound. Same price for the last 3 years....

We came here for a week over 2 years ago. 6 months here so far but time to move on soon. Mu-2 flying next month....

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Hard to say from just a picture but there have been a few aircraft over the years left in the sea that eventually break apart and wash up on beaches. There is a little sand island just off antigua that has a bunch of washed up aluminium pieces from a crash 40 years ago. The ocean is filled with garbage.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

pelmet wrote:Believe it or not...that does remind me of an aircraft part. I have seen floor panelling that was honeycomb like that peice is. Maybe you have discovered the missing link to that Malysian plane(but I doubt it).
I remember cutting up a Wasaya 748. (It may have been another aircraft but I am 99% sure it was the Wasaya 748) The floor panelling was very similar to this. You may be on to something.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Looks pretty airplane-y to me, but very beefy. I've never seen aluminum honeycomb 2" thick. I think the thickest composite core we have on the planes I build is around an inch for the belly fairing. The floors are only a half-inch thick. With the beveled edge I would guess that that's part of some kind of aerodynamic fairing but for what specifically I couldn't tell you.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Could be decking from a yacht.

Return to “General Comments”