Chilliwack coffe Shop Close Feb 26,2017

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Chilliwack coffe Shop Close Feb 26,2017

Post by BGH »

Copied from Facebook;

We are sad to say after 36 years February 26 2017 will be our last day at the Chilliwack Airport . We THANK YOU all for all your support thru out the years. Please come in for a final piece of pie. Just to clarify this is not our choice and City of Chilliwack can step in and help at anytime. Thank You hope to see you all in the next few weeks Judi, Tracey & Jacqueline.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Chilliwack coffe Shop Close Feb 26,2017

Post by 7ECA »

I'll have to try and get out, either on the 25th or 26th. It'll probably be unbelievably busy.

Sad to see an airport fixture get pushed out, but that's what you get with certain management companies...

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I took my GoPro to CYCW a couple of weeks ago. The only thing left in the terminal building was the coffee shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBjanzeDOnQ

...laura

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

They've bullied everyone out and it saddens me to know that it won't be long before that whole beautiful spot is nothing but some poorly built condos.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Guaranteed that our incompetent minister of transport will make no effort to save the airport. He truly is a space cadet.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Flew out to Chilliwack today and had lunch and piece of wild blue berry pie. The place was packed, half an hour wait for a table and another twenty minutes to get your food.

Still the best pie around, bar none.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Good on you! I hope they see the same at their langley location.

I also hope someone intervenes and stops magnum and the city of chilliwack from bulldozing the airport in favour of some leaky ugly condos...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

@Rowdy, there was an ad in the local Chilliwack paper from Magnum Management that suggests condos are not in the plan. What IS planned, is a 1000' runway extension, GPS RNAV approach, new terminal building, and new restaurant tenants.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Where exactly will those 1000 feet go? Gonna shut down Young Rd?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

AirFrame wrote:@Rowdy, there was an ad in the local Chilliwack paper from Magnum Management that suggests condos are not in the plan. What IS planned, is a 1000' runway extension, GPS RNAV approach, new terminal building, and new restaurant tenants.
And when they can't get a new restaurant to move in - or their buddies move in and can't get the same level of business, then they'll shut the airport down...

I guess Magnum will just pave over Highway 1 to get the extra thousand feet, or maybe it'll be a dogleg runway now. As for the rest of the "improvements" sure, too little too late. I do believe this is a case of, "hey look, sure we drove everyone away from the airport - but now that we've lost a ton of revenue, we're willing to make improvements to bring in new business."

HHI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HHI »

PIREP.......

Today Sunday 26th. Arrived at Chilliwack at 11:00 and was the ONLY visiting aircraft on the ramp.

There were as many people waiting patiently as were seated in the restaurant.

There was a sign at the entry advising only 1 pie per person, eat-in or take-out.

While we (3) were waiting for a table a C172 with 3 onboard arrived from YXX and joined the line for take-out pie.

One of the Fraser Blues Navions is based at Chilliwack. Three more arrived and parked in a single line in front of the restaurant..

As we left an aircraft joined downwind. Flying westbound to ZBB we passed at least 6 aircraft advising they were inbound to YCW.

Lot's of locals took the time to express their appreciation to the staff for the years of service.

We did too, and especially to Judy..

Also took our picture under "The Sign" from both directions.

Our son was PIC inbound the YCW. Our family has been "flying for pie" since our kids were pre-school.

Our grandkids have also "flown for pie" numerous times.

End of a long string of pleasant memories.

Glad we had the time to f-f-p one last time.

Henry

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Black_Tusk wrote:Where exactly will those 1000 feet go? Gonna shut down Young Rd?
I was just playing with Google Maps and making some measurements. They can extend 07 west about 500 feet, but can extend 25 east over a thousand. If they realigned the runway slightly, 07/25 -> 06/24 or 05/23 they would have less need for a displaced threshold over Highway 1 on the approach to 25. Which would just about amount to a whole new runway, I know.

...laura

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

deleted

Last edited by mmartin1872 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

deleted

Last edited by mmartin1872 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Pretty classy move blocking the back entrance with the snowplow.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Is there a planned boycott of the new restaurant based on the airport's apparent slime ball behaviour?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Weigh the pros and cons. Obviously a boycott would make us all feel good, we're showing Magnum that we are angry about what has transpired at CYCW, and hurting the bottom line of a new business/airport management would get the point across.

But, odds are they are hoping for something like that to happen - then you end up with an airport that is no longer/not financially viable. Rip up the pavement, and slap up the condos.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Not at all. When the airport is no longer financially viable, Magnum gives up and we take over the airport, run it properly and turn it around.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I'd agree with you ahramin, but remember the mayor of Chilliwack said, that fifty year contract expressly states there can be no outside interference from the city in the running of the airport. So, if the place goes belly up, the cynic in me assumes Magnum can continue on course...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Has anyone seen this contract? Is there anything in the contract that prevents Magnum from leasing the runway (or any other space on the airport) to build condos on? Anything requiring that the airport property be used for aviation? Or can they just parcel the whole space out to whoever is willing to pay the most?

Return to “General Comments”