QC25 Harmony uflymike

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

QC25 Harmony uflymike

Post by KenoraPilot »

Has any one received theirs (QC25) and if you have what are your thoughts? I am quite the ways down the list and still awaiting my "pre order" from October 2016 to be shipped out. I am hoping its as good as I hope it will be, so I can junk the Senheisser thats crushing my head as we speak.
---------- ADS -----------

idratherbeflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: QC25 Harmony uflymike

Post by idratherbeflying »

I received mine about 6 weeks ago and really like it! Granted, in those 6 weeks I have only flown about 35 hours.

I was using a Bose X and find the QC25's much more comfortable and with better ANR.

The only thing that I have noticed (ATC has as well) is that, sometimes, there is a tin can sounding quality. I have not yet been able to pin it down to a frequency range and it only comes through on transmissions, not on the hot mic or interphone. It almost sounds like using the hand mic. When I say sometimes I mean about 10-15% of the time so, in my opinion, the comfort outweighs the slight annoyance of the sound.

I have gone through 3 batteries so far, just make sure you have extras on hand because as soon as you lose the battery, you will not hear a thing!

I have also only used the headset on a Q400, so the transmit sound could be isolated to this type of aircraft.

Hope that helps!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Awesome man thanks for the update! I'll be using mine in the Classic Dash so we'll see what happens.

Anyone else with opinions? Reviews? Just interested in the QC25 Harmony Version. Thxs

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I've been contemplating ordering one but the waitlist has me holding off. I hate buying stuff and then waiting for it especially without a firm date. I love my QC25's for everything else and want to try them in the plane.

Don'tSink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Don'tSink »

Anyone tried this setup in a 172? Landed a job instructing, want to get away from big and bulky David Clark's.

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

I can't offer advice as to how they will work in the airplane.

I do however have both the Bose A20 and the QC25 for listening to music.

I can tell you that the passive noise attenuation is far superior in the A20s

The ANR is also much much better in the A20s, almost by double I would say.

I really like the QC 25 for listening to music they are very comfortable and perhaps in a quiet airliner cockpit they would be acceptable.

For what you pay for the headset and microphone kit you will be a substantial portion of the way towards the A20s, that's the way I would go if it were me.

If you are in the airliner cockpit perhaps a telex offering would be better suited.

The QC25 is very comfortable for the large headed

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I just want something smaller than Zulu's to tote around in my flight bag. Space is at a premium. I take my QC's on pairings anyways for DH's and stuff so I figure why not try the mic addition.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Black_Tusk wrote:I just want something smaller than Zulu's to tote around in my flight bag. Space is at a premium. I take my QC's on pairings anyways for DH's and stuff so I figure why not try the mic addition.

Yup my thoughts exactly!

limit_switch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by limit_switch »

I have the A20, QC15 with uflymike, as well as the QC25 with the new uflymike attachement for the QC25 on order (won't get it until March). I have used them on the Metro, Dash 8 classic, Q400, and 737. Keep in mind the QC25 I have only tested as a headset in flight, no mic so if I'm referencing the QC25 it is just the noise cancellation and comfort aspect of the headset. This is just my opinion on the headsets.

The QC25 is about the same as the QC15 in terms of noise cancellation. I don't notice much difference between the QC15 and the QC25. The A20 is slightly better than both in terms of noise cancellation but it took me quite a while to come to that conclusion swapping out all 3 headsets in flight to see which was better so the A20 noise cancellation may not actually be that much better. I'm just guessing here but I believe the A20 is better because it is heavier and has some "clamping" force on it. I found that in moderate turbulence, the QC15 and QC25, due to their light weight, would sometimes get slightly jarred temporarily breaking the seal around the ear. It had to be fairly strong turbulence in order to do that. The A20 sat snugly on my dome during moderate turbulence. It is a very minor point and the QC15/25 would rarely get jarred breaking the ear seal.

Conversely, the light weight of the QC15/25 make them much more portable and there is quite a big difference in fatigue when wearing the headset on long days. Battery life was about the same for all 3. Roughly 40 hours of battery life (2 AA's on the A20, 1 AAA for the QC15/25).

All three did a decent job of cancelling the noise on the Metro, but they all really shined on the Dash series aircraft and anything with a jet engine.

The QC15/25 is an ideal setup for commuting or deadheading a lot even if you just throw the headset on with out the cable attached to a device, just to cancel the noise and get some rest. The downside to the QC15 is if the battery dies, you lose all audio unless you have a secondary set of earbuds plugged into the headset and sitting in your ears at the time of battery failure. If you have extra batteries, this is hardly an issue. The QC25 does not have this problem. If the battery dies, you still retain audio although I found it to be much more quiet when running on battery power.

After using the QC15 in the aircraft for a few years, going back and forth between the QC15 and the A20, I would pick the QC15/QC25 combo over the A20. It's less expensive, offers almost the same quality of noise cancellation as the A20, is more compact as well as lighter, and overall more useful. The mic quality of the uflymike on the QC15 is identical to the A20. Very clear and solid construction.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

No FAA TSO C-139 as of yet.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

I'm surprised operators are allowing pilots to use headsets that go totally dead when the battery runs out. What happens if you get line checked by TC with one of these?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Ancient wrote:I'm surprised operators are allowing pilots to use headsets that go totally dead when the battery runs out. What happens if you get line checked by TC with one of these?
QC25 doesn't die.

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

I have the new Ufly mike setup. First of all I love it. I do a lot of travelling overseas and I use the Bose on the flights to cancel out the riffraff.

I use the setup on a Dhc-8-300 and 400. Perfect.

Here is the bad: There is something wrong with the connection in the swivel part of the mic. I am getting a lot of static and as of today the sound is cutting out completely. I am sure it can be fixed but is very annoying. Anyone else having the same issue?

I am going to contact UFlymike and ask for replacement or to fix it.

Overall better than most commercial aviation headsets out there.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

They paused shipping because of this exact issue and have re tooled the mold. Mine is delayed because of this so I'm sure there will replace it since it's a known problem.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I have a QC15 and Uflymike . I use them in a piston single. The bose has more "dead weight" in the ear cups and seals and that helps keep noise out. That along with the ANC makes it pretty darn quiet.
The QC 15 is much lighter with lower clamping pressure. If you position it carefully to get the best seal it is almost as good... as a bose.
To meet the TSO or whatever it is called, you have to wear ear buds in the QC15 so the sound is not lost when or if the battery dies. Most dont wear them.... but if the airline demands the TSO paperwork the headset owners have it .

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Ok I loved my set up until today......the right ear speaker on the QC25 just crapped the bed. Have zero sound out of it and sounds like this happens a lot with Bose QC25. I may take it to repair place in Calgary to have it "fixed" vs Bose just sending me a new one! Ugh so angry!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Sounds like my Lightspeed last month. Right ear speaker stopped working. So don't feel too bad, it can happen to any headset.

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ancient wrote: What happens if you get line checked by TC with one of these?

todayifly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by todayifly »

Hi all.

Just got myself a QC25 and I'm on the uflymike site. I'm just starting training on a Cesna 172...

Any idea for which connector styles will fit the 172? I need to pick one of the following from the list:

2-Plug (aka Boeing)
XLR-5 (aka Airbus)
U-174/U (aka Helo or Military)*
6-pin LEMO (aka Bose)
8-pin NeutriCON

Also,can anyone recommend which package one should go for?

Harmony Basic Aviation Package
Harmony Deluxe Aviation Package
Harmony Ultimate Aviation Package

Thanks!

Richard

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

2 plug will get you through most of the your career