Age Discrimination

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Age Discrimination

Post by altiplano »

CV64 - a Convair variant I suppose.
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

First off: Congratulations in making it through the last 3 decades of the most challenging time for aviation jobs. You're a viking soldier. :good:

Second...ignore the background noise of some of the negative comments on here.

Third, just call up these places and have a chat with them. Consider having your resume more appeasing to the eyes.

Forth: Stay positive. It's the most important thing.

Good luck!

Last edited by I WAS Birddog on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Stay positive and dont be afraid to target companies repeatedly for an extended period of time with phone calls and resumes every few months. Companies like to see that you are looking to work for them not just anywhere because they put up an ad. This company hired me on my 3rd resume and 4th phone call in a 9 month period.

I totally got the humour in Taxivasion's post. I'd emphasize that you follow whatever procedures and sop's companies currently hold near and dear. Nobody likes a more experienced guy telling them how it should be done or how it used to be done. Perceptions are that old means "set in my ways".

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

co-joe wrote:Nobody likes a more experienced guy telling them how it should be done or how it used to be done.
I very much like a more experienced pilot telling me how it should be done or how it used to be done. Might not pay any attention to it, but even if that's the case I don't see the downside to someone sharing their experience.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ahramin wrote:
co-joe wrote:Nobody likes a more experienced guy telling them how it should be done or how it used to be done.
I very much like a more experienced pilot telling me how it should be done or how it used to be done. Might not pay any attention to it, but even if that's the case I don't see the downside to someone sharing their experience.
Copy that.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Also in canada it is not a requirement to put your age on a CV. It's part of our human rights law. :mrgreen: See if that changes your responses.hen the proof is there for sure if you start getting replies.

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

Somehow I doubt the posters age was on his CV but how many 30 yr olds do you know with 20,000 hrs.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Somehow I doubt the posters age was on his CV but how many 30 yr olds do you know with 20,000 hrs.

All depends how fast their pen was :smt040

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

They won't ask you for your age, but they will ask you what year you went to university....which is the same.

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

Well, I not in the hiring position any more. Retired BUT I am still flying when I want. Nice to just fly the line. I think Thunder may be interested in experienced chaps who are like me, just want to do some flying... Give Alistair or Tim a call.

I am currently in St. Martin and sailing to Panama but will be back to fly for 4 months this summer. Thunder needs experienced pilots, part time should be fine. Again though, I am not doing the hiring these days.

Bob

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

xsbank wrote:What a moronic comment - that takes the cake.

My guess is that probably a prospective employer might think you will be too expensive. They can get a kid like the previous poster for a bag of peanuts and a fancy hat.

Or, they may think you are too experienced and might find it hard to get you to fit in.

I doubt it's anything more nefarious than you hitting them at the wrong time.

Or maybe your resume sucks? PM me and I'll give you my opinion, if you'd like?

That.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

oh yes, age discrimination is a reality.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

What bobm said. While you're at it, PM me your very basic numbers. We might be interested in a term contract sort of thing.
By all means, take bobm's suggestion.

Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

xsbank wrote:What a moronic comment - that takes the cake.

My guess is that probably a prospective employer might think you will be too expensive. They can get a kid like the previous poster for a bag of peanuts and a fancy hat.

Or, they may think you are too experienced and might find it hard to get you to fit in.

I doubt it's anything more nefarious than you hitting them at the wrong time.

Or maybe your resume sucks? PM me and I'll give you my opinion, if you'd like?
Good offer

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

Comes in many forms.

Retired by age and was hired overseas; job didn't materialise because "Ex Pats" became a political issue.

Sent lots of resumes; very little response. Apparently thought I had too much experience, wouldn't be happy.

Followed up one resume with a phone call. Was asked if I would be able to fly a DC3. I referred to my resume and asked a question about the fleet; "I don't know anything about airplanes, I just review resumes"!

Had a training job for a year; my "superior" (failed Captain) was clearly jealous; tried not to provide agreed workload. (paid by the day)

Picked up a flying job; (hired by someone older than me) a six days a week hardship posting in dangerous places. Enjoyed every minute of the work and the flying. Saw places amd things I never would have.

High time Chief Pilot was great to work with; respected him, loved working with him.

Company had a couple of toxic personalities with lower time, lower skills, and terrible attitudes; clearly resented someone with more experience. Those two are gone, but so are the contracts.

Did another gig with a few guys; good to work with; two were experienced, even the "Low Time" guy had a lot of excellent experience and was really great to work with.

Very difficult to get an answer to a resume when you have 20K plus time on 50 plus types; age certainly comes into it.

I don't wear glasses, have all my hair, healthy and fit; younger types resent those things too!

There are jobs out there, just very hard to get.

Unfortunately, there are "High Time" guys (and women) out there who think they are "Gods Gift" due to having survived for so many years/hours. Their attitude spoils it for everyone else who really loves the job and wants to work.

Hang in there; hope something comes along!

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

As someone that does the hiring. I do not turn away applications based on age. I currently have an ad up now for a captain position, all of the applicants have been either instructors with zero experience outside of 25NM or 20,000+ hour guys.

I called all the guys that applied. They all said the same thing. They want a schedule and quality of life. Which I knew they would say. They have been around and are at a place in life that is not about waking up at 2am to goto Timmins on an organ flight.

As a pilot, I think the current hiring spree is awesome, it is applying pressure to all operators and making them re-evaluate their wages and working conditions, trying to solicit the people with experience. As flight department manager, it is tough finding people right now. 5 years ago I could put out an ad for a direct capt spot and 2/3rds of the north would apply. Not so much anymore.

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.

Return to “General Comments”