Age Discrimination

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

winddancer1952
Rank 0
Rank 0

Age Discrimination

Post by winddancer1952 »

Having sent resumes to several companies recently with over 20000 hours time on jets and heavy turbo props, I have yet to receive a single reply. Most advertise that they do not discriminate for any reason including age. One outfit was seeking Dash 8 and Metro pilots both of which I am endorsed on. My total time exceeded their requirement by 5 times. They didn't even have the courtesy to send a PFO letter. The only reason that is left to consider is the fact that I have survived to 60 years. It is a sad state of affairs that decades of experience is deemed null and void simply because of an arbitrary number.
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Age Discrimination

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Trim your resume to reflect 8-10000 hours. It's not dishonest...you really do have 8000 hours.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

maybe because your 20 000 hours has nothing to do with the type of operation they have. It could also be that a company doesn't think a person with your experience would enjoy it.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

What a moronic comment - that takes the cake.

My guess is that probably a prospective employer might think you will be too expensive. They can get a kid like the previous poster for a bag of peanuts and a fancy hat.

Or, they may think you are too experienced and might find it hard to get you to fit in.

I doubt it's anything more nefarious than you hitting them at the wrong time.

Or maybe your resume sucks? PM me and I'll give you my opinion, if you'd like?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

winddancer1952 wrote:Having sent resumes to several companies recently with over 20000 hours time on jets and heavy turbo props, I have yet to receive a single reply. Most advertise that they do not discriminate for any reason including age. One outfit was seeking Dash 8 and Metro pilots both of which I am endorsed on. My total time exceeded their requirement by 5 times. They didn't even have the courtesy to send a PFO letter. The only reason that is left to consider is the fact that I have survived to 60 years. It is a sad state of affairs that decades of experience is deemed null and void simply because of an arbitrary number.
Maybe you need to look overseas - there are jobs for experienced type rated Captains.

You can start by creating a profile with all the recruiting agencies and see what they offer.

I worked with a retired Northwest Pilot who was hired at age 63 (he was type rated on the aircraft the company operated).

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Currency on type is everything. Maybe even the only thing.

Where are you applying?

edit - "Heavy turbo props" - end edit

LARGE turboprop time...

Last edited by telex on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

I'm going to guess you likely have more experience than the Ops. Mgr and CP combined, and that is very intimidating to them. At smaller companies the Ops. Mgr and CP are the go to people, the sages, the people with all the experience and wisdom. I'll bet they just don't want someone coming into the company who professionally outranks them and could possibly undermine their authority. It's not you, it's them. Their loss. Keep your head up, I'm sure something will come your way.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

I'd say age discrimination occurs in aviation in Canada far more than anyone expects or will admit to and not just from the 703/704 world. Experience = Cost $$$ to the bean counters, ever wonder why so many kids are working for the airlines these days...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Not just in Aviation, either. Every industry is advertising for "junior" employees these days, looking for young and cheap and valuing that over age and experience because age and experience comes at a higher cost.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

fish4life wrote:maybe because your 20 000 hours has nothing to do with the type of operation they have. It could also be that a company doesn't think a person with your experience would enjoy it.
I believe there is an element of truth in your commentary,speaking from experience in that age group mid- late 60's. Case in point, brought trusty Corolla to dealership last month and I know the customer service mgr well and I noticed new faces on the customer care side as many older lads not there. Well it was pointed out the dealership is reluctant to take on retired guys anymore because of dependability. It's the " I am going down south for a month" wintertime and/ or off to " the cottage " for July month. As he tells me, the older retired folk think of working here as a hobby, it isn't, it's work with a schedule. If older fogies my age are bored with nothing to do well get into volunteering rather than work because it doesn't work with his dealership he indicated. So yes I can see a reluctance of companies employing goats of my age for various reasons.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah, it probably is discrimination of some kind, of course. 20,000 hours or 60 years old. In either case, older fellas are going to expect

a) respectful treatment
b) regular days off
c) reasonable pay

A lot of places aren't ready to provide any of these things. Plus, yeah I agree totally that a younger CP and/or OPs manager is going to bin your resume.

The place I work has been trying to provide regular days off as much as possible, although flexibility helps them out quite a bit, they make sure to keep it pretty consistent and give guys what they want, and they pay reasonably too. Oh and guess what, they hire older, high-time pilots too.

A lot of younger fellas love to downplay the benefit of experience. I think this is mostly because they want to believe there's something special about themselves that justifies their expectations to get promotions and raises as quickly as possible. It's funny how people want to make achievements with the minimum amount of toil and effort, without understanding that it is the toil and effort that makes the achievement worthwhile. Anyway, a really experienced pilot throws a wrench into all that, and I think that is what causes people to pass them over.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Now if you had been in IT, age discrimination begins at 35.

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

I'm surprised you would expect a reply with any amount of experience. I have received replies from resumes only a handful of times out of many hundreds sent out from my early twenties to my mid forties. Current type ratings are virtually a prerequisite at some companies. Even with that you need to know someone on the inside, if you don't, try to go introduce yourself, and there are roadblocks to that. Follow up phone calls may work. Remember, they don't want to hire anyone.....ever....until they do, so you better be exactly what they want when they want it or know someone. Your mileage my vary.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

"Maybe you suck? I know a few 20k + guys that I wouldn't trust with a golf cart let alone an airplane. Of course on the contrary, I know a few I would let make sweet love to my girlfriend and have my babies...maybe you have a name for yourself?"

Hey buddy, you need to stop sucking the end of the super stack in Bedrock!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I think there is a special button to push on this website for people like Taxivasion.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Absolutely it's discrimination. There are so many greedy and selfish little pricks in this industry that are jealous of anyone they think is above them on the chain (get that old fart outa my seat mentality), who at 500 hours think they can drive circles around anyone older than 30 let alone 60. It happened to me years ago when a company was advertising for direct entry CV64 captains, I was current but had 5x the experience of the chief pilot. They told me I did not have enough experience for the job -- WTF - I later heard the CP was insecure and afraid I would take his job. Ironically, likely a blessing because they self destructed a couple years later. Travel industry is a tough market.

So yes companies to discriminate but in this day and age they are so stupid because they will actually get longer service out of a 60 yr old than some iron chasing super star. Damn it's so hard for some people to get it. I just shows that most lower level carriers have kids doing the hiring and they don't like us old guys.

I got 2 bucket items - be still working when I show up for my compulsory driver's test in my STI :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
winddancer1952
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by winddancer1952 »

Thanks to all for the replies. As far as Taxivasion is concerned, I notice that he operates out of the international hotbed of aviation Sudbury. No doubt doing circuits. It appears that he is even too lazy to have sex with his girlfriend. No doubt he requires a GPS to find the first hole on the golf course as well as his own rear end. His attitude will no doubt contribute to a very successful future career.
Again to all the others thank you for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

planett wrote:I'm surprised you would expect a reply with any amount of experience. I have received replies from resumes only a handful of times out of many hundreds sent out from my early twenties to my mid forties. Current type ratings are virtually a prerequisite at some companies. Even with that you need to know someone on the inside, if you don't, try to go introduce yourself, and there are roadblocks to that. Follow up phone calls may work. Remember, they don't want to hire anyone.....ever....until they do, so you better be exactly what they want when they want it or know someone. Your mileage my vary.
Well this certainly hasn't been my experience - but then I work outside Canada.

When I was looking for work in 2013 I received very quick replies and was able to set up screenings via various employment agencies very easily.

I also applied to a number of Airlines directly - 2 called me directly and I wasn't talking to a secretary. After talking to a Chief Pilot and a DFO I was told to "call if you ever need a job".

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'm not saying that it isn't age discrimination...

But it could be many things... to pull the discrimination card out right away is BS in my opinion.

I mean, 20000 hours is great and all but that and an emailed resume gets you SFA where I came from...

Maybe they have other applicants who not only have a
type rating and meet the minimum requirements for the metro or dash spot, but also have internal references and called the CP to introduce themselves and hit it off?

Bottom line you aren't entitled to any spot despite your history and experience.

Maybe you need to go the extra stretch, like most successful job seekers in this industry, if you want one of these jobs...

I would also suggest to take a good look at where you are applying to - age discrimination certainly isn't everywhere from what I can tell.

I know one retired ex-CAIL/AC guy, he must be closing in on 70 now, who had a long career past 60... He recently hung it up but companies are still calling him and trying to get him to do even just another year...

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

valleyboy wrote: when a company was advertising for direct entry CV64 captains, :smt040
CV64!?

When I try to Google it I end up with:
USS Constellation (CV-64)

:mrgreen:

Return to “General Comments”