Gen av in Newfoundland

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Gen av in Newfoundland

Post by boeingboy »

HI guys,
I'm considering a shift in my career direction and it takes me to St Johns, Nfld. I would want to bring my Cessna with me - but I don't see many general aviation airports....and even fewer with hangers. Is there not much activity there?
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Gen av in Newfoundland

Post by livinlife »

Sure there is Gen Av on "The Rock"!
As for which airports carry AV gas I am unsure. YYT used to have a flight school but it's now closed, there is still one in YQX. The weather as I hope you have already researched is 90% IFR, and even on a nice day it can go from Severe Clear to 600 RVR and VV 010 in minutes.
It can be a very unforgiving place to fly. But it is done, and if well planned you will be fine. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

There is Gen Aviation in NL.....
Check out COPA Flights 97 in St Johns and 195 in Central.
AV gas is expensive and limited....it really helps if you can burn Mogas. I buy 100ll in bulk and store and can go anywhere in NL and return with full tanks ( From Central)
It is agreed that weather on the Avalon can be challenging but the rest of the island is more predictable.
Other than St John's , there are Harbor Grace...Clarenville...Gander ...Exploits Valley...Springdale...Deer Lake...Stephenville..St Andrews....Port Saunders...St Anthony...Argentia{not sure if still open) and I believe there is an airport at St Mary's

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

boeingboy,

Might we ask what the change in career direction entails?

Speaking as someone who is a huge fan of both Newfoundland and her people! :D

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Thanks guys.....
Living in the St Johns area - it doesn't look like there is any place to park except at St Johns. Are they GA friendly? Being in the lower mainland I'm somewhat spoiled I guess - having so many GA airports....and they all have tiedowns and hangers.

Most of the smaller strips I see in Nl are just a strip of blacktop. I cant even see anything tied down let alone hangers or small AMO's.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Harbour Grace was just a muddy field when I was there.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

If you are serious about flying in the St John's area, contact COPA Flt 97 members...they are very active there and can answer all your questions. They have a Facebook site you can check out.There are several Hangars at Harbor Grace and active pilots there, it is a grass strip.
Hangarage on the island is definitely a problem.....

Return to “General Comments”