Any advice for a VFR Hamilton city tour?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sillylion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any advice for a VFR Hamilton city tour?

Post by sillylion »

I'm planning to do a city tour of Hamilton soon in a 172 and I'm looking for any advice if anyone else has done it before. I know they have a fair number of IFR traffic but I am planning to stay in the north part of the CZ at 2500-3000 ft. Also, it would be really cool to fly out to the skyway bridge too but I don't want to pester Toronto Terminal for 2 minutes and go back into Hamilton's CZ since it is technically outside Hamilton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Any advice for a VFR Hamilton city tour?

Post by photofly »

You don't need to talk to Toronto terminal to fly around the Skyway bridge at up to and including 3500ASL and if you stay at 2500 and below you can go along the shore almost as far as Oakville and not talk to a soul. If you tell Hamilton Tower your intentions you'll probably just stay on their frequency anyway.

My advice for a successful city tour is firstly to get and look at a VTA chart properly to understand the airspace structure in which you want to fly - book an hour with a local flight instructor if you need help.

Secondly don't be scared about "pestering" ATC. They get paid good coin to expedite safe and orderly traffic flow including small aircraft doing VFR tours who also pay NavCanada annually for service just like bigger aircraft. They will however appreciate your support and respect which you can demonstrate by doing the first thing I suggested because it helps them help you.

Have fun!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Plus one don't worry about pestering a controller. It's what they are there for. Though as an airline pilot please be sure to make sure your radio calls are up to snuff. Who you are where you are and what you want.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Matterhorn White
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Matterhorn White »

If Grand theft auto has taught me anything you neee to be prepared to fly under the bridge. Passengers will love that kind.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

+1 for pestering ATC. The ones I know would rather know you're on their frequency and know your intentions rather than just blasting around wherever.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

and dont fly under the bridge!!!. If you call Hamilton Tower and clearly tell them where you are, and what you want to do, and sqawk the code they give you, it will all probably work out fine. Be aware of the ground winds, as if they are stiff from the west and south west they may be using 24, and that might put more traffic out towards the city, than a NW wind will.
once they agree to what you are going to do for routing, stick with the plan, or ask for another lap or whatever. Enjoy. Listen a bit for where the other traffic is, try to keep the picture in mind.

Return to “General Comments”