Seymour Arm Airstrip BC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RNAV30
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seymour Arm Airstrip BC

Post by RNAV30 »

Does anyone have any info on the decommissioned grass airstrip at Seymour Arm? The only info I can find is that it is 1 KM (3200' appx) long and from the looks of a youtube vido, not too wide.

Just wondering if any one has experience there or knows the approximate width? I would inspect it from the ground and walk the runway first before flying into it, just want to know if its even worth the trip to check it out.
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Seymour Arm Airstrip BC

Post by cncpc »

RNAV30 wrote:Does anyone have any info on the decommissioned grass airstrip at Seymour Arm? The only info I can find is that it is 1 KM (3200' appx) long and from the looks of a youtube vido, not too wide.

Just wondering if any one has experience there or knows the approximate width? I would inspect it from the ground and walk the runway first before flying into it, just want to know if its even worth the trip to check it out.
It is open but land at your own risk.

This is the link to the Seymour Arm Hotel. http://seymourarmhotel.com/

As you can see in the left column, there is info on the airstrip. I think that this business and cabin owners like to have the airstrip available, but don't want the liability, hence the "...own risk, up to you" provisos.

I was in there about 35 years ago in a mountain check with a PPL in a Warrior. It did seem very tight around the shoulders, but once into the hole below the trees there was a good bit of space on the sides. From the picture, it looks like even more now.

Most times I'd expect the wind blowing in off the lake, and from Google Earth they seem to have cut those trees down at the river end, so that would be an improvement.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

Was there a couple years back in a helicopter. Trees on both sides, so not sure on landing distances. 10/10 on being a cool place !

SherpaT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SherpaT »

Grew up there, not sure on distances as I wasn't into flying seriously yet. Flew out of there many times in a 150 and a tri-pacer and it was definitely wide enough but does have some rougher patches. Nothing too serious depending on the type. Airstrip is owned by the people that own the hotel. They do not do any maintenance as far as I know. The strip was mowed by a pilot with a house beside the strip who has since passed. I'm not sure if anyone is doing anything anymore. There are probably three sets of tie downs on the north west end.

ErikUrquhart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ErikUrquhart »

I was just in there this month and the strip is in awesome shape with grass cutting still going. Residents were waving as we landed.

Return to “General Comments”