United, again.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: United, again.

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote:
telex wrote:

Feel bad for this guy.
I feel bad for you.
---------- ADS -----------

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Here's how customer service should work.

Last fall my daughter and her two small kids ( 4 and 5-yo) were travelling on Jazz on a seat sale. On the flight back home to UL the flight was overbooked. When we went to check in the agent offered her $400 apiece to give up their seats and also put them on a PAL flight leaving a half hour later. The PAL flight was actually scheduled to arrive UL before Jazz, since Jazz had a stop in QB. No problem, case sorted.

After New Years my daughter had a similar situation, except this time weather was a factor. She was scheduled to take a 0900 flight on Wednesday, but because of forecasted weather both here and in UL that flight was sure to be cancelled. I happened to be at the airport on Tuesday noon for another reason and stopped by the Jazz counter to see if there was any way to get her on a flight on Tuesday PM. The station manager was working the front desk and after checking her crystal ball announced "If she can be here by 14:30, I can get her on the 15:00 flight." Okey dokey. We made the cutoff and checkin ok, aided by the fact that the lady had exchanged their tickets in the time it took me to drive to town and back. The weather had actually gone t/u in UL by then and UL ATC was issuing arrival slot times, so they held the aircraft at the gate here and finally left 30 minutes late. After arrival in UL it took them over an hour to get home.

That gentlemen, is how customer service is supposed to work. Bravo Big Red. :smt023

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

The guy was likely a dick head in the first place -- throw him in irons -- people are just stupid and out of control!!!!

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

---- :roll: :roll: :roll:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

I am a private pilot, I do not pretend to know the rules and regulations of the airlines. I can see United not boarding the passenger. Regardless of rules and regulations. Someone at United needs to share in the culpability. Regardless how this guy reacted. There was no need for that scene. Especially the 2nd video coming back onto the plane and running to the back. That is truly troubling. This guy paid his bill, received his boarding pass, and boarded. Now through a mistake United made. It turned into this. 3 police officers need to hit and drag a senior citizen off the plane? Yes maybe they were within their rights. However common decencies dictates a little more diplomacy. Maybe a larger compensation package. I don't know, it wasn't him that made the mistake.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I saw the vids from another source and couldn't believe what I was seeing, thought it was some sort of fake news site that has it in for airlines. This certainly isn't gonna do United's image any good, probably cost them more in the long run as this pax is probably chatting with lawyers as we type. I would say this guy will get a real good settlement especially now this video is all through the social media sites as national news as well. Why couldn't United deal with it at the gate(I am sure there are lots of ways) instead of boarding the people then demand some get off. This incident is quite troubling, more to the point probably unnerving to those who don't travel very much. I will side with the lawyers on this one and ding United as much as possible.Disgusting images from a Nation/International Air Carrier of the free world...........

WTF is it coming to down there..........
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Chicago officer involved was placed on administrative leave. Still nothing from United.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/ ... off-plane/

I'm sure its still this violent, threatening 69 year old Pax's fault.

Why I am guessing the most virulent Taser-The-Passenger-For-Not-Instantly-Obeying Crowd would be the very same worst acting individuals if put in the same shoes as this guy....just a hunch.

Simple question, Captains: Its your Aircraft. Obviously company screwed up in boarding everyone, then changing their mind. Do you call in the swat team? Or tell company to raise the volunteer price until 2 more people bite and everyone leaves happily?

Shouldn't be complicated.........

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

rookiepilot wrote:Chicago officer involved was placed on administrative leave. Still nothing from United.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/ ... off-plane/

I'm sure its still this violent, threatening 69 year old Pax's fault.
Thank Christ for vid capability on smartphones, captures the actual situation and makes cops look quite stupid in some cases with takedowns. It is happening all the time now.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Time for a new version with some more serious lyrics?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://twitter.com/united/status/851471781827420160

United's response:

And this interview on CNBC from former CEO:

"Passenger was immature".

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/united-i ... -says.html

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

More on this issue:

Ottawa to introduce legislation allowing flight crew to Taser arguing passengers -- Correction -- sorry -- to address overbooking by airlines:

http://www.bnn.ca/ottawa-to-introduce-l ... g-1.720850

Garneau said,
"We recognize that when a passenger books a ticket, they are entitled to certain rights".

Rick Seaney, CEO of U.S.-based FareCompare.com, said he's never seen something like what happened on board the United Airlines plane.
"You should never let somebody board that you're going to toss," he said from Dallas.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

While I agree this was a bad decision by United to forcibly remove the person, simple fact is that the plane is private property and if they tell you to get off then you get the f$@k off and deal with it at the gate. I have no sympathy for the passenger. I do feel sorry for United for making such a bad decision.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://twitter.com/UnitedOverBooks/sta ... 0564739074

http://bgr.com/2017/04/10/united-passen ... -reaction/

Personally I'm enjoying some of these tweets. Court of public opinion.

Must be a pleasure working there.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

2017 and the power of 'social media" for all and then some to see what went down. United is looking real stupid(https://twitter.com/UnitedOverBooks/sta ... 0564739074) on this and the pax will probably have the last laugh as he will no doubt win a fine settlement from United. This individual, his family and community will probably never step on a United flight again.

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

I just spoke to a passenger on my last flight who is a lawyer and he stated the when an Airline sells a ticket to a customer and the money changes hands it becomes a contract between both parties. When the confirmed boarding pass was issued it sealed that contract and unless that passenger broke the contract by smoking, yelling, flight safety issue etc....... they cannot just walk up to him and point a finger and tell him to get off. Now this is one lawyers opinon so do not take this at any face value but it does raise an interesting thought. Lets see what the US courts say about this.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CEO Blames passenger, calls him disruptive and belligerent.

Speechless. Talk about digging your hole deeper, sir.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/10/united-passenger-dragged/

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/united-c ... erent.html

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

This story now has become international news.

And gaining strength.

The CEO of United has to be feeling the pressure and by his reactions he is making it worse.

They could have given the passenger a million dollars to give up his seat and they would have been way ahead of where they now are in the court that matters, the court of public opinion.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

av8ts wrote:?. simple fact is that the plane is private property and if they tell you to get off then you get the f$@k off .
Is that using the Taser or Batons first?

Sorry, I have compassion for all human beings, especially those degraded unfairly as this one appeared to be.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Despite how bad this looks today and the CEO seeming to have his head up his ass as far as what to say in public statements, this isn't going to have any measurable negative effect on United.

They will issue another statement or two of apology. Then perhaps roll out a sudden seat sale in the coming days. They’ll make extra sure their tickets are a buck lower than the competition on major routes for a month or so. Then back to business as usual. Ridership may even increase for them.

If the customer booking online sees an airline with a reputation for bad service offering ORD-SDF for $598 and the next one down the list with a neutral or good service reputation for $599, we all know who they’re clicking on.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

rookiepilot wrote:They made a mistake, just raise the offer a little more and 4 would have volunteered.
Exactly. That should be in the rules.

The airlines overbook to maximize profitability. When bumped, passengers shouldn't have to settle for the first offer.

No takers at $400? How about $500? How about $600? How about $700?

With a full plane, the airline is still making their maximum rev/aircraft minus a few hundred dollars.

Return to “General Comments”