Sensitive ears: can I still become a pilot?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TheA320Dream
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sensitive ears: can I still become a pilot?

Post by TheA320Dream »

I was able to pass my class 1 medical no problem, but my entire life I've basically lived with ears that are extremely sensitive to pressure. As an example, when driving down a steep hill I can feel the pressure in my ears and it negatively affects my hearing (slightly) whereas most others (including my passengers) never seem to be bothered.

I went on a couple flights on a C152 at low altitude and it didn't bother me but on long haul international flights it definitely does.

I'm wondering if this issue is something that I should be seriously concerned about? Should I still consider a career as pilot knowing that I have extremely sensitive ears?

I would really appreciate feedback from others who have a similar condition.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Sensitive ears: can I still become a pilot?

Post by Gannet167 »

Have you ever had your ears checked? If your eustachian tubes are blocked, the air pressure cannot equalize. A friend of mine had tubes implanted in his ears to help hold the eustachian tubes open. Learning how to perform a good valsalva manoeuvre can help. It's not uncommon to experience a change in hearing and/or dizziness when you can't equalize pressure in an ear. If it's incapacitating and makes you nauseous or so dizzy that you can't hold your head up, you may not do well in aviation.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

As stupid as this sounds, take up scuba diving and if you can work your way through that your ears will actually become less pressure sensitive and clearing will improve. Having said that, take the above advice and have your ears checked out and tell the doc you want to dive.

I know that this works because I was a diver and clearing becomes second nature. Allergies could also be an issue. If there are no medical reasons for your condition, take up diving :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

Like most things you'll likely adjust after a bit of exposure. If you want to really check out your ears ability to adjust to rapid pressure change, get in the 172 again and dive from 5000' (or a bit higher) down to 2000' or lower at 3000'/min or more.
FWIW, most airliners limit cabin pressure changes to less than 500'/min, unless the system is malfunctioning (or crew is playing with the system).

Gorgons
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gorgons »

Disappointed to read the advise previously given, young impressionable guys like you come here to get the straight goods and not jerked around. The short answer, the one you needed to hear? No! You should not be considering a career as an airline pilot, forget it, your ears are far to sensitive. You should be moving to a location better suited to your medical condition, I suggest somewhere south-west of Regina, go with terrain that is really flat. Winnipeg isn't that bad of a choice either. Forget flying and don't take any job that has you working in a building with more than 2 floors, escalators or elevators.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I flew low level for many years. Once I started flying in the flight levels for a regional, my ears would pop, crack, burst, crackle, and snap on the way up and down. I would constantly have to clear my ears with the valsalva maneuver. My ears eventually adjusted.

I wouldn't say I have "sensitive ears" mind you...just not used to the up and down being that high up.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Go see an ENT, you may need tubes. Carry a bottle of dristan in your flight bag, to help open things up. You'll learn soon enough when you start doing high rate of descent maneuvers if your ears can handle it. Keep in mind, if you can handle that, airline flying is easy as the cabin changes at 500 ft/min. Don't rule anything out until you have looked into it professionally.
PS I have ear issues, I'm a 737 captain.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

I had way more sensitive ears than the original post. Had severe pain lots of times on decent in airlines since I was a kid. When I first started flying small planes my ears would be sometimes blocked for days after I landed. Got better over time and for the last 20 years no problem at all. Don't know the reasons but glad I never let that stop me as I did wonder.

Return to “General Comments”