What airplane was the most difficult to fly?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

What airplane was the most difficult to fly?

Post by Cat Driver »

The most demanding airplane I flew was the Grumman Turbo Goose.

Short coupled and lots of torque and P factor on take off.

Demanding to land on the runway with cross winds.

Liked to porpoise on rough water.

Had to be careful with power settings in cruise because it was easy to get in the VNE speed range.

The visibility in turns was terrible because of the engines sticking way out in front.

But the sucker sure was a blast to fly.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What airplane was the most difficult to fly?

Post by Schooner69A »

Because of the limited number of fixed and rotary wing aircraft in my logbook, I can't say as I ever flew one that I considered difficult. Although, I recently flew a Stinson that was nearly as old as I am and I marvelled that there are still people who love them. Not because it was difficult to fly - it was actually quite benign - but because it was an OLD airplane with OLD technology and switchology. Overhead co-located rudder and elevator trim, slightly reclining seats, wicked visibility, and in general, a reluctance to climb or cruise very fast. On 150 HP.

Harrumph... (;>0)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Grumman Tracker or Conair Firecat. That sucker was determined to kill me, partly because of the way we flew it but one tried to blow me up, high speed stall, low speed stall, uncontrolled pitch-up, rudder stall in a strong crosswind (that was a surprise), useless brakes (carriers had arrestor cables), absolutely unstable (which is why it was so maneuverable - dont drop your pen while doing your logbook) not to mention blowing engines.

It was one of my favourites though, but I got off it before it got me.

Funny, Cat, another Grumman!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

From the types I've flown, the metro 23 was not the funnest for 12 leg days with no auto pilot.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

My Thurston Teal (probably a little Grumman in the design here and there) will make you happy resulting from where you are able to fly it, rather than that you flew it! As Xbank remarks about the Tracker, if you take your eyes off it for a moment, it'll be pointed a different direction - particularly on the runway! It's less stable than some helicopters I have flown.

Another type which challenged me was the Siai Marchetti 1019. It had a little too much power for the rudder to overcome if you used it all at the start of takeoff (even though the flight manual recommended 95% power then brake release). Worse, a 30 flap takeoff (flight manual short field procedure) would get you to a place in early climb where full nose down control was required, and the nose was still going up. And it had no supplementary stall warning system, so you had to be alert, 'cause stick force was no longer a cue. It was fine once you got used to it, but it took some awareness, self teaching, and practice.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Quickie Q1

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

I'd say mine is the Jetstream 31. Although it wasn't all that "hard" to fly, it was a demanding and unforgiving airplane. Negatively stable with high take-off and landing speeds and no autopilot. Add some ice and it was interesting. You sure earned your money on a 10+ leg day in sh!tty weather. My instrument hand flying skills/scan have never been better than when flying this airplane that's for sure.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

My first twin: Piper Seminole - the damn engine kept quitting at the most inopportune time!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

North Shore wrote:My first twin: Piper Seminole - the damn engine kept quitting at the most inopportune time!
Reminds me of one of Multi Rating students. He said " How come I am paying for 2 engines. but I only get to use them one at a time ? " :smt040

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

Cessna 150

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

For me it was the Air Tractor AT-802. Very sensitive high lift wing that reacts to every little ripple in the air. A turbulent summer's day makes you feel like you just spent hours in a clothes dryer.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

B-25 is probably the hardest to consistently land well. Otherwise, civil specifications forces aircraft to be fairly easy up and away.

Going for the deck at corner
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Rudy wrote:For me it was the Air Tractor AT-802. Very sensitive high lift wing that reacts to every little ripple in the air. A turbulent summer's day makes you feel like you just spent hours in a clothes dryer.
+ 1

The crappiest flying characteristics of any aircraft I have ever flown.

Forestdump
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Forestdump »

I'm guessing it doesn't get any better with the floats attached. A wise man pointed out to me recently that it is indeed an Ag airplane. It's not built to fly, it's built to survive a crash.

RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RG500 »

Metro II (SW3)
Not enough wing nor power
Not enough rudder especially single engine with more than 1/4 or 1/2 flap, it's been awhile
Nose wheel steering was forever failing with or without a failure annunciation
Had water methanol injection, that should be enough said

cmadude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cmadude »

MU II. Worst ice magnet I've flown. Picked up ice on nose and prop spinners and made cup like shapes. Slowed aircraft down quickly and unable to maintain altitude many times

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

None - just need to master the type idiosyncrasies, having said that there are hateful days in any type. That seems to be more what is being said here. Air planes are simply not difficult to fly. Some are just uglier than others. Something like my love life :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

valleyboy wrote:None - just need to master the type idiosyncrasies, having said that there are hateful days in any type. That seems to be more what is being said here. Air planes are simply not difficult to fly.
I have had to deal with some annoying autoland characteristics. Nosegear coming down too fast, maximum wind limitations,.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

None - just need to master the type idiosyncrasies, having said that there are hateful days in any type. That seems to be more what is being said here. Air planes are simply not difficult to fly. Some are just uglier than others.
Are you saying there are no airplanes that require you to be extra vigilant when flying them?

It is true that all certified airplanes are designed to be flown by all pilots who are licensed and type rated/ familiar with the type being flown.

Having said that I have found some are significantly more difficult to fly properly than others and of all the different airplanes I have flown the Turbo Goose was the most demanding, for sure I would not advise someone without a lot of flying boat time to just jump in it and try and take off or land in difficult conditions.

Have a look at how short coupled it is and how far those props are forward and it will give you a better idea of what it handles like on take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCmrqy070o

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Kind of in the same boat as valleyboy on this. Some are nicer to fly than others. The 150 is as hard to fly as anything. The Cessna 320 and the Lark Commandet are hideous handling pieces of crap. You have to be "on to" the 748 at night in the rain going into Red Sucker....the Vampire was interesting.....a Twin Comanche has a positive angle of attack on the ground, so landings could be a challenge. As for "hard to fly"? Nope. None.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

Return to “General Comments”