Emergency equipment in sparsely settled areas

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sport
Rank 1
Rank 1

Emergency equipment in sparsely settled areas

Post by sport »

Perhaps I am out of the loop but when did they change the requirements for flights into sparsely settled areas and emergency equipment?

I came across this change today 602.61 and am surprised on how the reg leaves the contents virtually undefined and ambiguous.
---------- ADS -----------

chewsta
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chewsta »

Content last revised: 2003/12/01 but it dosen't say which parts.

SAR in the AIP gives a more detailed list, but your right, it is pretty vague.

OW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OW »

The new attitude at Transport Canada seems to be: " be as vague as possible so no matter what the operator does, you can tell him he is wrong!".

Enforcement is getting bored so they are checking to see that all "t's" are crossed and all "i's" are dotted. Might mistake those letters for something else you know, and that could change the whole meaning of what is wrillen.

Sorry, that should read "written".

Wouldn't want to get a $2,500 fine from the enforcers.

:roll:

Pilots get higher, SCUBA Divers do it deeper!
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I think their intent was so that they could accomodate with a wide range of landscapes that Canadians fly over. But in terms of coomerical operators, it would be in their SOPs, which have to be approved by TC. So the best thing to do when writing your SOPs is to be as specific as possible and follow it to the letter, you'll never go wrong.

snapped
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snapped »

Just use common sense. If you have a forced landing an live through it, Will you survive the elemants? Remember your Passengers should be dress appropriately too!

where's the snacks?
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Emergency equipment in sparsely settled areas

Post by CD »

sport wrote:Perhaps I am out of the loop but when did they change the requirements for flights into sparsely settled areas and emergency equipment?
The "Sparsely Settled Areas Order" (ANO Series V, No. 12) was replaced by Section 602.61 of the CARs in October of 1996.

Old Air Regulations - Sparsely Settled Areas Order

Return to “General Comments”