Thinking about stepping away from the game for a bit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Thinking about stepping away from the game for a bit

Post by nohojob »

I don't know where you live but an operation like Transat or Sunwing would let you be at home almost every night.
And you work a max of 10 to 12 days a month.
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Is an LOA possible?

As far as getting back into the game after a leave - what about talking to pilot friends who are mothers and have had to stop flying for the end of their pregnancy plus mat leave? Many have had no issues coming back to flying (either with the same company or moving on to another) other than missing their kids, of course!

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

In Canada federally regulated employers (aviation) are required to allow you to take up to 39 weeks of leave after the birth of a child. This leave has to be within 52 weeks of the birth and cannot be split up. In terms of EI, that's kind of separate, as a couple you are allowed a certain amount that can be split or taken by one partner entirely. I took six months off when our kid was about 7 months old and it was amazing! Came back refreshed and ready for more abuse. There are also protections in place when you are on parental leave, like you can't be passed over for a promotion while on leave, your seniority continues to accrue, and at least where I work my family still had access to pass travel :D

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Bringing up an old thread here as I was looking for information about this exact question.
Does anyone know how the new parental leave policies of 18 months work if my partner has taken the benefits. The Canadian labour code says we are entitled to 78 weeks of leave of which I think 13 is maternity leave. Can I take the last 6 months if my partner heads back to work? This thought only came to us lately and we had not planned on it. She has taken 11 months now of full EI benefits but would it be possible for me to take the final 6 months of the 18 month entitlement without any EI benefits? We could make it work on one income. I am really enjoying being a new dad and find it hard to be away. My company has taken a new direction and I am away more and more with no notice. I'd really hate to miss this valuable time when it's available.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 am
frog wrote:I am sure you have thought of parental leave no ?
I've given it some thought. Is it the same as paternity leave though? My wife is taking the full year of maternity leave so my understanding is that that means I can't take any paternity leave.
There is a maximum number of weeks for the EI benefit payable for parental leave, whoever claims it, you or your wife, there is also pregnancy leave which only your wife may claim, they are typically sequence consecutively.

If you are both taking extended time off, depending on your and your wife's insurable earnings, it may be better for you to claim the parental leave portion.

But EI claims aren't the issue here:

Paid or unpaid, you are entitled by law as a new parent to a parental leave... I believe it is 63 weeks. Your employer cannot discriminate on the basis of family status. At the end of your leave if you don't want to return, give your notice, if at the end of your leave it turns out you are ready to go back you've left the door open... typically your employer must make available to you the same job or a similar job function.

Here's the info from Ontario's website, which also references the Federal standards. It is by no means complete, and I suggest you look into your employment rights, and how they may apply to your situation more.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-gu ... ntal-leave
New parents have the right to take parental leave – unpaid time off work when a baby or child is born or first comes into their care. Birth mothers who took pregnancy leave are entitled to up to 61 weeks' leave. Birth mothers who do not take pregnancy leave and all other new parents are entitled to up to 63 weeks' parental leave.

Parental leave is not part of pregnancy leave and so a birth mother may take both pregnancy and parental leave. In addition, the right to a parental leave is independent of the right to pregnancy leave. For example, a birth father could be on parental leave at the same time the birth mother is on either her pregnancy leave or parental leave.

Employees on leave have the right to continue participation in certain benefit plans and continue to earn credit for length of employment, length of service, and seniority. In most cases, employees must be given their old job back at the end of their pregnancy or parental leave.

An employer cannot penalize an employee in any way because the employee is or will be eligible to take a pregnancy or parental leave, or for taking or planning to take a pregnancy or parental leave.

Ontario's ESA and the federal Employment Insurance Act
The Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA) provides eligible employees who are pregnant or are new parents with the right to take unpaid time off work.

In contrast, the federal Employment Insurance Act provides eligible employees with maternity and/or parental benefits that may be payable to the employee during the period he or she is off on an ESA pregnancy or parental leave.

The rules governing the right to take time off work for pregnancy and parental leave under the ESA are different from the rules regarding the payment of maternity benefits and parental benefits under the federal Employment Insurance Act. For example, a new father may choose to commence a parental leave under the ESA up to 52 weeks after the child is born. However, there may be restrictions on accessing the employment insurance parental benefits at that time. It is extremely important that employees obtain information about their rights to EI benefits if they are considering taking a pregnancy or parental leave under the ESA

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Thanks for the reply,

The way I read it, I would be entitled to leave, unpaid at this point, but still entitled if I were to choose to take it. Whether its a good idea or not remains to be seen. But family time like this won't ever be available again.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

bigEh wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:56 pm Thanks for the reply,

The way I read it, I would be entitled to leave, unpaid at this point, but still entitled if I were to choose to take it. Whether its a good idea or not remains to be seen. But family time like this won't ever be available again.
Sorry, didn't realize is was an old thread... Yeah, I think you're entitled to leave.

morerightrudder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by morerightrudder »

Check out Morningstar. PM me if you want more info.

Return to “General Comments”